Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for) EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for) EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for) EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for) EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for) EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for) EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for) EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for) EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for) EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Seasoning  Taco  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for)

+2
12acrehome
Sonshine
6 posters

Go down

Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for) Empty Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for)

Post by Sonshine Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:15 am

by 12acrehome Today at 15:58

.Ok I'll start a thread, but here is my short answer

I see both civil unrest and economic collapse in the near future, and what will emerge after things settle down is what scares me the most. So we moved to a reasonably remote area where we have access to cities, but also are in such an area that most would just over look us. I am just wanting to be self sufficient and have the protection from high food and energy prices. I already store some food in mounds that just look like dirt piles. All root crops can be stored in this manner..

Proverbs 28:19 He who works his land will have abundant food...

Genesis 1:29 Then God said,"I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth, and every tree that has fruit with seed in it..."
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for) Empty Re: Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for)

Post by 12acrehome Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:37 am

Thanks Sonshine

The plan I have is to model my place after the small family farms of the 1930's through the 50's. Basically I am not setting up for profit, but rather self sustainability. This plan has three prongs, financial, food and water, and energy and transportation. Currently we are 75% there. As my concerns are mainly financial collapse, we have chosen to eliminate debt from our lives, and use cash only for all purchases. The exception being the mortgage. By eliminating credit cards, car loans, etc we have enough extra money freed up to pay the mortgage ahead, and are on track to own the place outright in 10 years or less (depending on what my income does) We are also able to put 1/3 of my income into savings and if need be we can actually survive on about $15,000 per year with no major life style changes, and that includes paying the mortgage, and maintaining all the vehicles. When the mortgage goes away, that number becomes $5,000.

As for food stores, I should be able to start putting in the root cellar this fall, and after that I plan to build a woodgas generator to provide electricity as needed. Afterward a battery bank and solar array, with inverters to power the house.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for) Empty Re: Civil unrest and economic collapse (brought over from what are you prepping for)

Post by Sonshine Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:46 am

Does that amount include property taxes? If so, that's great. You may even be able to sell some of your produce if you have extra to get a little extra income, or eggs, or milk, or whatever you produce.

I agree with the getting out of debt. Here's what we did to work towards that goal. Like you we stopped using credit cards and started paying cash for everything. Then we took our smallest bill and anything extra we had went towards that to get it payed off. Then we went to the next lowest and added the amount of the payment of the first one we payed off towards it along with any extra. Now all the extra we have from paying out other bills is going towards the mortgage and any of the bigger prep items we may want to get. In doing it this way we have managed to get a greenhouse (small one, but it's ours) the solar set up, a solar freezer, and all the manual appliances. God has blessed us too with some unexpected money a couple of times which also went into prep items. Like you, we don't want to make a profit, but want to be able to provide for our family and those who God may send our way to help. We've already started feeding an elderly couple next door to us. We just put in a larger garden than before. We started doing this last year and have expanded the garden even more this year. We have some other neighbors that we gave them a rooster and two hens and a couple of goats so they could get started. They've already asked me if I would help teach them about gardening. I figure if I can get the neighbors preparing now then when things fall apart we can work together to help one another without it being too big of a strain on any one family.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:37 am

yes taxes and all.

Chickens are slated for next year, if I can get the coop built and the chicken yard set up.

Yup Dave gives good advice
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:43 am

I actually started doing that system before I ever heard of Dave Ramsey. I think Dawn is the one that told me about him.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:49 am

We are not prepared at all. I am ashamed to admit that. But this past year, seeing how groceries & gas have gone up, the unrest with this election coming up, I am determined to get stocked up on food and supplies. We are working toward paying our debts off. We hope to be debt-free in 4 years but we will see.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:23 am

There is no shame in recognising there may be a problem and you are not yet prepared for it. The shame is in seeing a problem and ignoring it, in hopes it will just go away.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:29 am

Kerrig, I would encourage you to stock up on some seeds. My Patriot Supply has some wonderful packages for what he calls a survival garden.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:00 am

I'm seeing more and more road rage and rude, impatient behavior in public. It seems people are more stressed than usual, and I think it has a lot to do with rising prices and the frustration of trying to make ends meet.
I'm also seeing LOTS of signs of drug abuse. Dh and I went out to eat the other night and in walked a young couple with a 2-year old child. They were completely stoned, even the baby. I think it must have been meth. We called the cops when we left and they were there a long time.

The other day I went to the fabric store and a woman who looked like a prostitute knocked on my car window and wanted $5. She got mad and called me names when she didn't get it. This was in broad daylight in a very public place. I'm thinking, if things get much worse people like her won't be ASKING for handouts, they will just start grabbing.

This is the kind of stuff I'm seeing and thinking of how to prepare for. I have my CCW and my girls know karate for self-defense. I need to brush up on situational awareness.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:41 pm

If they offer jujitsu in your area, you might want to look into that as well for your girls. Karate does them no good if they get knock down and can't get back up.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:25 am

You could see if your local police department offers any self defense classes. Ty takes TaiKwonDo. I took it years ago, but could probably brush up on some things. We've also started teaching Ty weapon safety and have taken him to the firing range a few times.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:51 am

I used to teach Soo Bahk Do, got up to 2nd degree black, but just didn't have the time to go any more. I still miss it. When I can, I try to practice it some on my own.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:15 pm

mountainmama wrote:I'm seeing more and more road rage and rude, impatient behavior in public. It seems people are more stressed than usual, and I think it has a lot to do with rising prices and the frustration of trying to make ends meet.
I'm also seeing LOTS of signs of drug abuse. Dh and I went out to eat the other night and in walked a young couple with a 2-year old child. They were completely stoned, even the baby. I think it must have been meth. We called the cops when we left and they were there a long time.

The other day I went to the fabric store and a woman who looked like a prostitute knocked on my car window and wanted $5. She got mad and called me names when she didn't get it. This was in broad daylight in a very public place. I'm thinking, if things get much worse people like her won't be ASKING for handouts, they will just start grabbing.

This is the kind of stuff I'm seeing and thinking of how to prepare for. I have my CCW and my girls know karate for self-defense. I need to brush up on situational awareness.

I'm seeing a lot of the same things. I never thought much about a CCDW permit, until a few months ago. Events at a Wal-Mart parking lot prompted a change of thought. I am awaiting final approval from the state police, and should have permit in hand in two or three weeks.

As to hand to hand confrontations...a teenage or twenty something hopped up on street drugs is hard to stop without lethal force. IMHO the best option is to avoid these types if at all possible.

As we near the Christmas season (shopping, running errands, and gathering family) I'd like to ask everyone to be very watchful of what is going on around you.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Good advice there. For one, I am making fewer trips out and shopping during the day. I try to stock up a little so I don't have to go back to the store for at least a week or two.

I fill up with gas during the day, and try to run as many errands as possible in the same trip. We're making sure not to leave anything in the car when we do go out, We also have to be watchful at church, as we have experienced people "hanging around" the parking lot during service time. I think they were looking in vehicle windows, because they left in a hurry when they saw me watching them!

Speaking of church, every year area churches have to watch for people coming inside to steal coats, etc. If you have a foyer, be sure to keep your coat with you in the pew instead of hanging it up. Also, do not leave your car keys in your coat if you do need to hang it up at church, a restaurant, even at work. At our old church, a car was stolen right off the parking lot during the service.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:09 am

WOW!! stealing from church parking lots, and foyers. Sad days
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:04 am

I walso want to warn people to be careful if you use ATM machines. In our area people are watching when you go to an ATM, then follow you and when you get to your destination they are robbing at gun point.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:57 am

financial market is continuing a downward trend, financial or physical cliff is looming, whitehouse holding firm on raising taxes...

http://money.cnn.com/data/markets/dow/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/11/ceo-papa-john-says-employees-hours-will-likely-be-cut-due-to-obamacare/#ixzz2BvLuBMEv

and the one industry that is doing very well? Gun and ammunition manufacturing.
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/13596-obama-reelection-boost-gun-stocks-and-sales

and all 50 states want to secede

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/secession-petitions-now-filed-50-states-183500440.html

unrest or as Obama said "change has come to america"
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7dawn Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:13 am

Learn Krav Maga. Out of all the self defense courses I have looked into I believe it is the best one. And yes, there are moves to get out if someone gets you on the ground. I am in level 2 and hoping to test for level 3 in December.
7dawn
7dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:53 am

good advice 7dawn, but having a red-neck type lazy streak I prefer suma boom loudly the only move is booger hook on the bang switch
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7dawn Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 am

Yeah, understand that...We have had some weapons training in Krav. They teach us how to disarm someone with a gun. I prefer bow and arrows. A gun will do so much good in a situation where you may be caught unaware. I wish all women would find a Krav Maga class close to them and go. The rape prevention seminars are amazing. Way better than any other self defense rape seminar I have ever been to.
7dawn
7dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Oh I absolutely agree!!! Every woman, and girl for that matter, needs to know how to fight off an attacker.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:30 pm

I don't think I could do the Krav Maga. I still have retained some of my taikwondo training, so hopefully that will come in handy. I need to work with the bow and arrow some. Joe's been working with Ty on it.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7dawn Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:03 pm

I don't know, you probably could. It is mostly your natural instincts honed just a little bit. I bet Joe knows some Krav.
7dawn
7dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum