Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Let's play a game..... EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Let's play a game..... EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Let's play a game..... EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Let's play a game..... EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Let's play a game..... EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Let's play a game..... EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Let's play a game..... EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Let's play a game..... EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Let's play a game..... EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Taco  recipes  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Let's play a game.....

4 posters

Go down

Let's play a game..... Empty Let's play a game.....

Post by Sonshine Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:17 pm

I think we should look at different scenarios and see how they play out. For instance, lately I've been hearing a lot of talk about an EMP, either from solar flares or an attack. Glen Beck had done a show not too long ago about the possibilities that Iran is developing nuclear weapons to explode over America, causing and EMP.

So, what is an EMP? An electromagnetic pulse (sometimes abbreviated EMP) is a burst of electromagnetic radiation. The abrupt pulse of electromagnetic radiation usually results from certain types of high energy explosions, especially a nuclear explosion, or from a suddenly fluctuating magnetic field. The resulting rapidly-changing electric fields and magnetic fields may couple with electrical/electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

Basically, what would happen is everything electronic would cease to function. Cars that have computer components would be useless. No electricity in your home. Even if you've planned ahead and have a solar system, if it's not protected it will be lost.

What are the chances of an EMP either by an attack or through nature? In 1962 the Soviets did some experimenation using a nuclear EMP. In testimony before the United States Congress House Armed Services Committee on October 7, 1999, the eminent physicist Dr. Lowell Wood, in talking about Starfish Prime and the related EMP-producing nuclear tests in 1962, stated,

"Most fortunately, these tests took place over Johnston Island in the mid-Pacific rather than the Nevada Test Site, or electromagnetic pulse would still be indelibly imprinted in the minds of the citizenry of the western U.S., as well as in the history books. As it was, significant damage was done to both civilian and military electrical systems throughout the Hawaiian Islands, over 800 miles away from ground zero. The origin and nature of this damage was successfully obscured at the time -- aided by its mysterious character and the essentially incredible truth." http://www.futurescience.com/emp.html

An atomic bomb exploded high over the center of the North American continent would damage delicate, unprotected electronic devices from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from the middle of Canada to the middle of Mexico. Iran is planning just such an attack. The word May 27, 2005 is that Iran is now equipped for an atomic weapon, news that reportedly stunned President Bush. The "possibility" has now turned into a "probability," not if, but when we get hit with a terrorist EMP bomb. It is for that reason that major US ports have, or soon will have, radiation detection equipment for scanning all inbound ships. http://www.endtimesreport.com/EMP.html

Ok, so we obviously have enemies that have the capabilities to launch and EMP attack at us. How about the solar flares? Just recently we experienced a solar flare. It didn't do much damage, but there were some satelites that were affected by it causing some cable networks to go offline for a few minutes. So, are solar flares really something we need to concern ourselves with? Here's what some experts have to say:

On June 12th, at 00:55 Universal Time, an M2-class solar flare sparked a bright flash of extreme ultraviolet radiation, propelling a shock wave through the sun's atmosphere, and hurling a billion-ton Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) into space. According to scientists at NASA's Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO), "The sun is waking up from a deep slumber, and in the next few years we expect to see much higher levels of solar activity... at the same time, our technological society has developed an unprecedented sensitivity to solar storms." One needs to go back over 8,000 years in order to find a time when the sun was, on average, as active as it is at present! http://www.mi2g.com/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A//www.mi2g.com/cgi/mi2g/press/170610.php

Solar storm is a serious threat around 2012. Both NASA and ESA confirmed the next huge solar storm between September 2012 and May 2013. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30TXQkNBB9k&feature=related

So, what do all of you think? Is an EMP something we should prep for? If so, how are you prepping for it?

Although the electric field created from an EMP lasts for only a short time, its effects can be devastating. It is predicted that a single high altitude burst 200 miles above Kansas could propagate an EMP enveloping the entire United States. Electrical systems connected to things that can conduct current like wires, antennas, and metal objects will suffer significant damage. EMP effects on electronics include interference of radio frequency links, irreparable damage to microcircuits, and even the disabling of satellites. Fortunately, electronic equipment that is turned off is less likely to be damaged. http://www.unitedstatesaction.com/emp-terror.htm

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Let's play a game..... Empty Re: Let's play a game.....

Post by PlainFolk Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:03 am

An EMP is something that we do think about and are trying to prep for. We want to install both a propane heater and oven in our home. That way I know I can still keep my kids warm and be able to cook without electricity. Hopefully these things will be accomplished soon. (Ideally we would have a wood stove and solar power, but we're waiting to do that with out next move in a few years.) As for keeping cool in the summer...well, nothing is going to replace an air conditioner that's for sure. But I did discover a wonderful trick last Summer that we will definitely use again and each Summer to come. We learned that if you take the silver emergency blankets you can purchase in the camping supply section of most stores and cover your windows (on the inside) with them, it will keep your rooms a good 10*-15* cooler. And you can still see out from the inside too. Granted, from the outside it looks like you have your windows covered in tin foil so it's not very pretty. But luckily where I live, practical trumps pretty most of the time. And if you have no power at all, as it would be in an EMP, keeping your home cool enough for your family to be able to deal with it would be a bigger priority than what the windows look like from the outside.

We're always working on our food stock up but I need to can more meat and I plan to start that in the coming weeks. I need to get a couple more good does and a buck to breed and this summer I'm planning on canning all of our rabbit meat except for one or two kept back from each butcher to eat fresh.

One thing that I haven't done is work on "get home bags" should we be away from home at the time of an EMP. I really, really need to do that. It will be no small undertaking. There are four of us and we would each have different needs if we were in the position of having to walk home from a distance. This is definitely on the "need to do soon" list.
PlainFolk
PlainFolk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:15 am

I like the idea of the emergency blankets. Another way to keep cool is water. We purchased one of those misting kits to put in our green house and I got to thinking that if we ever lost power it would be nice to have one of those to get under when you're outside. They use something similar at amusement parks.

In the case of an EMP would you have access to a water source? How would you manage without refridgeration? (sp)

Get home bags would come in handy, especially if the person has to walk. However, an older vehicle would still be running as long as you keep the tank topped off, because you wouldn't be able to pump gas without electricity.

Another suggestion for cooking would be a firepit and/or a solar oven. We bought a propane stove a couple of years ago, but we also have a wood stove and a firepit. In the summer the firepit would come in handy because you don't want to heat your house up without the availability of ac.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PlainFolk Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:45 am

I am actually having a solar oven made for me this summer, based off of the one from Shepherd's Hill. (It won't let me post a link but if you go to Youtube and search for "Shepherd's Hill Solar Oven" you'll see it.

I have a friend whose son has finished an internship with a woodworker and this young man is an all around handy man and I showed him this video and told him that's what I want, lol. So when he gets time this summer, he's going to make one for me.

A water source would be difficult in our location so we are working on stocking water and I do need to get rain barrels in place.

Refrigeration I'm not as worried about because I can so much. And I know how to pressure can on a gas grill. So whatever meat and things like that I would get during an EMP, it's going to be very quickly canned. Which also means there is never an end to stocking up on jars and lids. Luckily, I can get lids at an insanely low price from the Mennonites. I can usually get 4 dozen for about $6. I'm hoping to have some money from the budget this summer to try the new Tattler lids. I've heard good things about them. Other things like veggies can be kept in a root cellar environment. We don't have a traditional, walk in root cellar but this method (again, I can't link but just Google 5 gallon bucket root cellar and you'll get the idea) is something that we and lots of families here in the community has had very good luck with. Also, have you ever heard of a refrigerator box? I don't quite know how to describe it...it's a very old, backwoods thing that is a bit hard to describe. It in now way replaces a refrigerator, but it can add a bit of time onto how long something like certain types of produce, etc could be kept. It's basically a wooden box frame...solid bottom with a shelf in the middle and screens for the sides as well as screening across the door. You nail it to a tree in a very shaded spot. You put your items inside it and then take a large towel, usually like a flour sack towel and a bowl of water. Place the bowl atop the box and a section of the towel weighted down in the bowl with a rock. It will soak up the water and go down the sides of the towel, the wind (hopefully you'll have some) will blow and it will keep the inside of the box somewhat cool for a while. It's not perfect, but at the same time better than nothing.

As for a vehicle still running...we would have to walk, lol. We have one vehicle, a pick up truck, but it's not so old that it would still run after on EMP. I'm almost 99.999% sure we would be hoofing it home...unfortunately.
PlainFolk
PlainFolk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:57 am

I think I may have posted an article on solar ovens somewhere in this section, but I'd have to search for it. If you do the rain barrel thing you may want to consider getting a water filter, just to be safe. I'm going to look into the 5 gallon bucket root cellar idea, that sounds interesting. Joe and I were talking about a root cellar today and wondering how much it would cost to get someone with a backhoe to come out to dig a hole for us. We'd lay the cinderblocks and all. I wish we could afford one of those storage type pods, that way we could use it as a faraday cage too.

We have a solar freezer and have been discussing how to protect it as well as our solar set up. Right now it's all out in the barn and we've been thinking of getting chain link fencing and making a cage out of it. That way we can use them and still be able to protect them. Right now we don't have the solar hooked up. It's just a small system, mainly got it for our well pump.

We're also looking into buying an older vehicle. He retires in a couple of years and want to have everything in place by then, but if something happens before then we'll manage if we can get the faraday cage around our equipment.

Oh, and we've also discussed getting bikes, but I've had some health issues so not sure if I'd be able to ride one. Guess we could get a bicycle built for two. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jwscal1996 Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:18 am

Hello everyone, I think this would be a good time to discuss what we could do to preserve essential stuff we would like to keep EMP safe. If anyone has any good ideas I would love to hear them. I’ve read the Governmental EMP report and there is so many variables… not a lot of firm info on what will happen.

v/r
Joe

jwscal1996
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jwscal1996 Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:34 am

We bought this nice solar system to run our well off of if things get bad. I haven’t hooked it up yet and before I do I want to make sure it can have a fighting chance in case of an EMP or Solar Flare. I’ve been reading about Faraday cages and think I’m going build one in my barn. I’ve seen many variations but the one I think may work best for my application is to construct a faraday cage using chain link fencing. I’ve seen the design on line and from what I’m reading as long as all sides, top and bottom are connected and properly grounded the fence will protect whatever is inside. Our well is in the front corner of our barn so I figure I can build a cage big enough to house the well, battery bank, solar inverter, 220volt converter (for the deep well) and even our Solar deep freeze we picked up last year. Of course this stuff is useless without the solar panels so I’m thinking of doing a similar cage for the two 155 watt panels. This way they will be protected and the cage will still allow plenty of light in to the photo cells.

v/r
Joe

jwscal1996
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:05 pm

EMP scare ya huh? buy power equipment that is started by hand (crank or pull rope) that relies on either points and condenser or magneto to deliver spark to cause combustion (you are not capable of crank starting a diesel engine) Have a root cellar, and a smoke house, along with a lake or pond or cistern for a water supply. Keep water purification measures close at hand (at all times) and a minimum of 3 months food and water. As for fuel, a wood gas generator can supply enough gas to run one of the old engines I mention above.

We are set except for the water, our pond has a leaky levee.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:46 am

Nah, doesn't scare me, just like to be prepared for anything. We do have many things that are manual, like our grain mill, food processor, pasta machine, oil press, juicer. We're wanting to put in a root cellar and smoke house, but have to figure out how to pay for them. We plan on doing most of the work ourselves, just need a backhoe to dig the root cellar and we'll use cinder blocks and cement to finish it off. I already have a spot picked out to put a smoke house. Since we only have 2 acres we have to use the space wisely, so it takes some finageling to fit everything we want to do. The pond is bascilly not possible for us, but we have a deep well and have plans for a rain barrel set up. We also have a berkley water filter, but have water purifying tablets too. We now have about a years supply of food on hand, although not as much meat as vegetables, but with the chickens we can get enough protein to keep us healthy. Joe is interested in a wood gassifyer (sp) every since he saw it on The Colony. We do have a wood stove plus we have a propane stove and the firepit outside. I'm use to cooking on an open fire because I've camped all my life.

We bought a solar set up, but Joe wants to build a faraday around it and our solar freezer. That's another thing on our to do list. We also want to buy a vehicle that is old enough not to have all the electronics in it.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:08 am

depending on the brand about 1974 or 75 is about as new as you can get and still have a point system

With the food stores, and well along with the rain catchment you seem more prepared than most
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:26 am

Yeah, Joe knows more about the vehicle thing than I do, but we've been looking for an older model VW. As for being more prepared than most, I've been preparing for several years, but things didn't really seem to be going that great until Joe go on board. Then we have also been blessed by God with some unexpected money a couple of times that we put into the big ticket items. I'm hoping that we can all discuss different scenarios and figure out what we should or should not do for each of them. I chose an EMP because of the recent solar flares, but also want to talk about things like an economic collapse, or even localized things like tornadoes and hurricanes, ect.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down