» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Hi from Upstate New York EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Hi from Upstate New York EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Hi from Upstate New York EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Hi from Upstate New York EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Hi from Upstate New York EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

Hi from Upstate New York

Go down

Hi from Upstate New York Empty Hi from Upstate New York

Post by backtotheland on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi, I'm Donna and I was a member here last year but lost my username and password and found the forum again and decided to see if I could remember it and, wonder of wonders, I did so I asked Sonshine if I could come back and she said I could so here I am again.

I moved back to my original homestead (long, long story) last year and was working full-time for a local hospital doing home transcription. I left there in September because, among other things involving family situations, I just don't like the way healthcare is going. IMHO it's all about money and less and less about the patient. After leaving the hospital I took my retirement money to help my kids (daughter getting divorced and loosing her home and everything in it to a flood, son and daughter-in-law moving back to NY after leaving the Air Force from Washington and needing help and the youngest in college having a hard time making a $300 car payment and trying to go to school to be a pharmacist - she hates science by the way) I became debt free and took the fall and winter to map out a plan to re-do the homestead. I didn't realize finding a job would be so difficult and I just can't seem to get away from health care so I am currently working as a personal care aide. At least I will be doing on-hands healthcare now and maybe I can make a difference in someone's life and allow an elderly person to say home as long as possible.

So far I haven't gotten much done except planning. My barn is scheduled to start going up as soon as the weather warms up a little bit more, probably after Passover. It is goingto made from recycled wood pallets. I only need to do three walls because I've already got the one wall with the door already in it (it used to be on the garage). It's going to be 16 x 16 and should be big enough to house all the critters. I've purchased a Nubian baby who will be ready to come at the end of May and I'm hoping I can find one from the same farm that is in milk. The lady is giving me a wonderful deal on this little girl - she is pure Nubian and she is selling her to me for $75 and she may have a yearling FF who she will sell me too. I don't want to try to milk any more than four goats but I've already got people asking for goat's milk (just call me the renegade goat lady). I'm going to get at least four Finn sheep because I love to spin their wool, at least four angora bunnies and of course chickens.

I'm going to use pallets to make raised beds for my garden too. I saw a YouTube video where a chef made one and stood it up against the building but she also showed how to do it and just lay it on the ground.

I've been making soap, lotions and candles like crazy and knitting up a storm. I have a friend on another homesteading forum who has a weaving studio and she wants me to make stuff to sell there. Another friend from the same forum wants to come and do a video of me in the different stages of wool production.

That's about all that's been happening around here so far. My youngest is getting married on June 16th this year so that is keeping me busy too. She's got everything done already, including all the material for her gown (she picked one out at David's Bridal that cost $1350 but her mother-in-law to be is going to make it for about $500) and she has ordered the material for the girl's dresses. The mother-in-law to be and I will be making all the girl's dresses, flower girls's dresses, guys's vests and ties. She is an excellent seamstress so I will be just assisting and doing the easy stuff.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Hi from Upstate New York Empty Re: Hi from Upstate New York

Post by 12acrehome on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:02 am

Welcome Back, sounds like you are in the middle of a journey.

My wife's aunt made her wedding dress (many years ago) and it is a treasure she keeps tucked away, only showing it to a few close friends. Enjoy this time.

Proverbs 28:19  He who works his land will have abundant food...

Genesis 1:29  Then God said,"I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth, and every tree that has fruit with seed in it..."

http://christiancountryramblings.com/
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:55 am

Thanks 12acrehome. It sure is overwhelming. They were thinking of getting married in December but then in January they called and said guess what, we decidced to move the wedding up to June so we can get married outside. I think they're nuts trying to do that in Upstate New York but it's their wedding.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:33 am

LOL, our preacher told me during a pre-marital counciling session that "she has dreamed of her wedding since she was 7, let this be about her"

probably the best pre-wedding advice I heard.

but I think they're nuts too Very Happy

Proverbs 28:19  He who works his land will have abundant food...

Genesis 1:29  Then God said,"I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth, and every tree that has fruit with seed in it..."

http://christiancountryramblings.com/
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:46 am

You're right, it is about her. I'm just going to step back and if she needs me she'll let me know.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:57 pm

(((((HUGS))))) Welcome Home! You have been greatly missed. I think the last time we heard from you was shortly after you were moving on to your homestead. I'm glad you'll be getting goats, just make sure you have more than one so they don't get lonely. Our goats are doing wonderful. I don't remember if we still have the pygmie goats when you left or if we had gotten our nigerian dwarfs. I miss the pygmies, but I really love our little ND's.

Sure sounds like you've been a busy lady.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks Sonshine, it's good to be back. I think you had the ND's when I was last here. If I can't get another goat I will be getting sheep so she will have something to keep her company but I am looking at another doe who will be in milk. Do you have a hard time milking the ND's? I have a friend who has those but she does not milk them, I think they are basically pets, almost 30 pets. I've thought about getting goats from her but I'm afraid I'd have a hard time milking them.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:55 am

Since the ND's are the only ones I've ever milked I don't know if it's harder than normal size goats or not, but I have very small hands (I wear a size 3 wedding ring), however, Joe doesn't have any problems milking them either and he has large hands.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks for the info. Maybe this gal's goats have smaller teats because they are not milked by hand.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:41 pm

I'm not sure how to milk regular size goats, but for the smaller ones you basically use your index finger, middle finger and thumb instead of the whole hand. I have milked cows, years ago, and to me it's easier milking my ND's because of my hand size. There's also some hand pumps you can use if you prefer. We started out using the EZ Milker (I think that was the brand), but eventually just switched to hand milking.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:18 pm

I've heard mixed reports on the EZ Milker. The friend who has the ND's here had one and sold it.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:12 am

Ours works ok, but it's just easier to do it by hand for us. Even using the milker you have to finish milking them out by hand.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 am

Welcome back backtotheland, glad to have you back with us. Smile

Glad things are falling into place for you and your family.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:44 am

Thanks Patrice. Today was a beautiful day here and, even though I'm planning on starting the homestead here again there is a possibility that five friends and I may be buying a piece of property together. Two of us went to look at it today and, while it's out there, it has so many possibilities. There are already two mobile homes on the property and a hand pump well. There is septic and electricity too. I'm not going to stop doing what I'm planning on doing here though. I'm still collecting the pallets for the barn and the plans are still in place to start construction sometime after April 6th. A lot depends on how the other four people feel about the property and if they will sell it land contract. They have already had an offer fall through because the bank wouldn't finance the property and the real estate agent doesn't think any bank would finance it. I don't think the other three would ever move that far out. If God wants it to happen it will.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum