Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Sloppy  recipes  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy

+2
Sonshine
Rohn
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy Empty Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy

Post by Rohn Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:33 pm

(Exodus 20:8 ) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. (KJV)
This is one of the Ten Commandments.
What does it mean and how much are we to observe one day a week to serve and worship God? How do you observe the Sabbath Day?

Maybe this will get some discussion going.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy Empty Re: Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy

Post by Sonshine Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:01 am

I know that people have different veiws on this and some doctrines teach that the Sabbath is Saturday and some that it's on Sunday. I personally don't believe God gets caught up in the actual day but the purpose of it. God worked 6 days and rested the 7th. Now, God isn't like man, he doesn't get tired, so why did He rest? I believe it was to set an example for mankind. He created our bodies with a need to rest from our labors, but that day of rest isn't about resting just our physical bodies, but to rest in Him. Just like He asks for tithes, I believe He is asking us to devote one full day to just Him. Of course, we don't just worship and serve Him one day a week, but for that one day that should be all we do, our main focus without allowing the world to distract us.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy Empty Re: Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep It Holy

Post by 7dawn Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:32 am

It is really hard to get a debate going when everyone agrees...lol....

If we go by the Bible the Sabbath was from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday. Then it supposedly changed to Sundays after the resurrection.

As far as my belief, I think as long as you spend time focusing on the Lord one day it doesn't matter what day that is.
7dawn
7dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:21 am

The sabbath seems to mean different things to different people. Some teach that "sabbath" is a special holiday (holy day if you will) and not a weekly occurence. Others say that the sabbath is "the seventh day" and by Gods example is a day of rest.

Me, Sunday is the Lords day, and I do not open for customers on the Lords day. I will not work the soil, nor plant seed on the Lords day. I will harvest a meals quantity of fruits or veggies, and cook, but other than the normal cooking and clean up I do no labor on the Lords day.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 am

Thanks to all who posted.
I observe the Sabbath on Sunday as I believe the New Testament Christians did. I am not open for business on Sundays. I do not buy or sell on Sunday. I do not do any work on Sunday, other than worship (I am a minister and preaching is the work of worshiping) or work that must be done such as fixing meals and feeding animals.

I do believe in works of mercy being done on Sunday, such as nursing or firefighting or policemen keeping the peace etc..

We do one other thing at our house that I do not know of anyone else doing and I don't think everyone has to. That is we do not get on the internet on Sundays. We just feel that this practice is for us, and it is our way of honoring God a bit more on His special day.

Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:38 am

Since I'm no longer able to minister as a children's pastor, this forum has become my ministry. I do come on on Sundays and will usually try to post a message in the Bible Forum. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Sonshine wrote:Since I'm no longer able to minister as a children's pastor, this forum has become my ministry. I do come on on Sundays and will usually try to post a message in the Bible Forum. Smile

Like I said I don't expect this to be for anyone else, it is just what me and my wife decided to do when we hooked up to the internet. I don't look down on anyone else for using it anytime they want to. I am glad that you are on and that you started this site. I find it a blessing.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:03 am

Rohn, I'm glad you find it a blessing. I felt led to start it and am always praying over it.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MountainRose Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:53 pm

I am new to this board, but so excited to glean all I can about homesteading. That is what originally let me to the site, but found this and had ask some questions.

I wanted to ask where in the bible do you find a text that says that the Sabbath was changed from Saturday to Sunday and that the New Testament Christians observed Sunday as the Sabbath?

MountainRose
MountainRose
MountainRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:49 am

Good question MountainRose. I'm not sure it specifically mentions it, but Rohn might have more insight on that, so it'll be interesting to see what he has to share. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:13 am

MountainRose wrote:I am new to this board, but so excited to glean all I can about homesteading. That is what originally let me to the site, but found this and had ask some questions.

I wanted to ask where in the bible do you find a text that says that the Sabbath was changed from Saturday to Sunday and that the New Testament Christians observed Sunday as the Sabbath?

MountainRose

First I want to say, welcome to the board. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I haven't been on this board very long either.
I do appreciate your question and here is my answer:

(John 20:19) Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. (KJV)
The first assembly of the disciples for worship was on the first day of the week. The visit of Christ to the disciples on this the first day of the week seems to put His seal on it. And as we read further in this chapter we find that again he appeared to them on the first day of the week:
(John 20:26) And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. (KJV)
I believe that the “first day of the week” is the only day, that is ever mentioned by number in the New Testament.
It is called “The Lord’s Day” because it is the day that the Lord Jesus arose from the dead.

(Acts 20:7) And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. (KJV)
Here again The Christians gathered together on the Lord’s Day or the Christian Sabbath. This shows us that this day was then observed by New Testament Christians as their day of worship.
The words “when the disciples came together” shows us that it was an ordinary custom for them.

(1 Corinthians 16:2) Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. (KJV)
Again we understand that the church met on the first day of the week for worship. Paul admonishes them that they should give as the Lord has prospered them, when they gather for worship.

(Revelation 1:10) I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, (KJV)
We find John worshiping on the Lord’s day. The first day of the week, or the Christian Sabbath.

So there you have it. I Hope this answers your question.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by MountainRose Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:41 am

Rohn wrote:
MountainRose wrote:I am new to this board, but so excited to glean all I can about homesteading. That is what originally let me to the site, but found this and had ask some questions.

MountainRose

First I want to say, welcome to the board. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I haven't been on this board very long either.
I do appreciate your question and here is my answer:

(John 20:19) Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. (KJV)
The first assembly of the disciples for worship was on the first day of the week. The visit of Christ to the disciples on this the first day of the week seems to put His seal on it. And as we read further in this chapter we find that again he appeared to them on the first day of the week:
(John 20:26) And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. (KJV)
I believe that the “first day of the week” is the only day, that is ever mentioned by number in the New Testament.
It is called “The Lord’s Day” because it is the day that the Lord Jesus arose from the dead.

(Acts 20:7) And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. (KJV)
Here again The Christians gathered together on the Lord’s Day or the Christian Sabbath. This shows us that this day was then observed by New Testament Christians as their day of worship.
The words “when the disciples came together” shows us that it was an ordinary custom for them.

(1 Corinthians 16:2) Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. (KJV)
Again we understand that the church met on the first day of the week for worship. Paul admonishes them that they should give as the Lord has prospered them, when they gather for worship.

(Revelation 1:10) I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, (KJV)
We find John worshiping on the Lord’s day. The first day of the week, or the Christian Sabbath.

So there you have it. I Hope this answers your question.

Rohn thank you for all of those references. The things I share to follow are not to stir anything up, simply to share for discussion.

Acts 13:42
King James Version (KJV)
42And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.
Acts 13:44
King James Version (KJV)
44And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

And James begins speaking in Acts 15:13-21
King James Version (KJV)
13And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:......
21For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

There are many other examples and the Sabbath is mentioned 59 times in the New Testament and always with respect, the first day of the week however is only mentioned 8 times in the New Testament and 6 of those refer to the same first day of the week. Jesus kept the 7th day Sabbath during all of His time on Earth, and didn't instruct anyone to change their day of worship.

This is why I choose to remember the seventh day as the Sabbath.
MountainRose
MountainRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:22 pm

MountainRose, This is the debate section, so I don't consider posting your thoughts and scriptual references stirring things up. Smile I'm glad to see these types of discussions going on. We're told that iron sharpens iron. This is the place to do the sharpening. Smile

Rohn, sounds like you chose a good topic.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MountainRose Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:15 pm

Sonshine, thank you! This is SO refreshing! Very Happy I have been on some forums where they say want to have a discussion but if you post anything that that might be contrary to or differ from what someone else believes (whether you say it is just your opinion or not) people immediately got upset with you. Sad
MountainRose
MountainRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:24 pm

Mountainrose, Thank you for entering into the discussion as it makes me dig into the Word and that is good for anyone to do. I do not wish to pull apart what you have contributed to this discussion but only answer you objections of worshiping on the first day instead of the seventh day, as I see it in the Scriptures. I am glad that you do observe a day of the week for worship.
Here is my answer to what you have contributed:

(Acts 13:42) And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath. {the next...: Gr. in the week between, or, in the sabbath between} (KJV)
(Acts 13:44) And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God. (KJV)

This was the regular day of worship for the Jews. So it would seem that this day would naturally be a day when they would have the bigger crowds to come to the worship service. They were trying to reach people with the Gospel and to that you must go when the crowds are gathering. But this still does not do away with the fact that the early church met on the Lord’s day, the first day of the week.

(Acts 15:13) And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me: (KJV)
(Acts 15:21) For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath day. (KJV)

Yes the law was read in the synagogues every Sabbath day. But this does not do away with the fact that the early church met on the Lord’s day, the first day of the week.
Yes, Jesus did keep the 7th day as Sabbath while He was here on earth, but after His resurrection He met with the Disciples on the first day of the week.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:39 pm

MountainRose wrote:Sonshine, thank you! This is SO refreshing! Very Happy I have been on some forums where they say want to have a discussion but if you post anything that that might be contrary to or differ from what someone else believes (whether you say it is just your opinion or not) people immediately got upset with you. Sad

I believe it's good for brothers and sisters in the Lord to have these types of discussions, done in love. I know that I have some beliefs on the rapture that is not mainstream and I'm ok with that. We're all trying to learn and grow. Each time something is discussed of this nature it causes us to study and seek answers from the Holy Spirit, which in turn causes us to grow.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:49 pm

Sonshine wrote:
MountainRose wrote:Sonshine, thank you! This is SO refreshing! Very Happy I have been on some forums where they say want to have a discussion but if you post anything that that might be contrary to or differ from what someone else believes (whether you say it is just your opinion or not) people immediately got upset with you. Sad

I believe it's good for brothers and sisters in the Lord to have these types of discussions, done in love. I know that I have some beliefs on the rapture that is not mainstream and I'm ok with that. We're all trying to learn and grow. Each time something is discussed of this nature it causes us to study and seek answers from the Holy Spirit, which in turn causes us to grow.

I agree with you 100%. Discussion is one thing but getting angry over it is another. I don't intend to write anything to make someone angry but just good healthy discussion. sunny
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:44 am

I also agree (me too me too me too Very Happy )

I think even some heated debates are good, so long as no one is hurt nor offended to the point of bearing a grudge. That is not healthy, and is often counter to the intent of not only this board, but any group. I also have seen how heated debates can split a congregation into two or three churches who's only reason to exist is the disagreement with the practice of the original (loosely) congregation.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by MountainRose Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:36 am

Yes the law was read in the synagogues every Sabbath day. But this does not do away with the fact that the early church met on the Lord’s day, the first day of the week.
Yes, Jesus did keep the 7th day as Sabbath while He was here on earth, but after His resurrection He met with the Disciples on the first day of the week.
But my point was that He did not tell them to change their day of worship.
The visit of Christ to the disciples on this the first day of the week seems to put His seal on it.
If He had visited them on a Wednesday when they were having a prayer meeting would that have put His seal on changing the day to Wedesday?
MountainRose
MountainRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:08 am

You are right. We have no record of Jesus telling the disciples to change the day of worship from the 7th day to the 1st day. Neither do we have any recording that he condemned their practice of meeting on the first day of the week.
Maybe it doesn't matter which day you observe and keep for worship. The important thing is to keep one day a week aside for special worship, and worship Him every day as we walk with Him.
Thanks again for sharing your views.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:48 am

Rohn wrote:You are right. We have no record of Jesus telling the disciples to change the day of worship from the 7th day to the 1st day. Neither do we have any recording that he condemned their practice of meeting on the first day of the week.
Maybe it doesn't matter which day you observe and keep for worship. The important thing is to keep one day a week aside for special worship, and worship Him every day as we walk with Him.
Thanks again for sharing your views.

I believe that's the main lesson.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MountainRose Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:15 am

I apologize if anything I said came across as judgmental or argumentative, that wasn't my intention.

It is not my place to judge anyone for what day they may keep. That is between them and God. Walking hand in hand with God everyday showing Jesus to those we come in contact with should be our goal each and everyday.

I hope to continue to grow and someday be better at that.
MountainRose
MountainRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:12 am

MountainRose, no need to apologize and I didn't take it as being judgemental or argumentative but as a person who is standing up for what she believes. Please don't worry about coming across too harshly. If I feel things are getting out of hand I'll PM those involved. I didn't see anything wrong with the way this discussion went and hope you continue to voice your beliefs and why you believe that way.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Mountainrose, Your discussion was fine. I truly enjoyed it and am glad you entered in with how you feel. Discussions even if heated should not offend anyone. (I don't really think this one was heated).
Discussion like this one cause us to dig into the Word and that is good and profitable for us all.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Lillia Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:25 am

Every day is the LORD's day.

(In the 4th century, Constantine changed The Sabbath from Saturday, to Sunday.)

Paul says, in Colossians Ch 2, that one day is not above another.

Miss Lillia
Miss Lillia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum