Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
I've noticed... EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
I've noticed... EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
I've noticed... EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
I've noticed... EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
I've noticed... EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
I've noticed... EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
I've noticed... EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
I've noticed... EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
I've noticed... EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

I've noticed...

+5
mountainmama
Sonshine
kerrig
PATRICE IN IL
7dawn
9 posters

Go down

I've noticed... Empty I've noticed...

Post by 7dawn Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:18 am

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering how everyone was doing in their weight loss journey? I noticed some that have been working on losing the weight have been ill. If you need any ideas or encouragement let me know. Very Happy
7dawn
7dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

I've noticed... Empty Re: I've noticed...

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:26 am

Thanks Dawn
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:58 am

Joe & I started trying to lose weight this year. For Lent I gave up soda & before that I had given up sugar. In my coffee I drink creamer and I allow myself one glass of tea a day. Otherwise it's water. I have had a few sodas this week and I don't feel good after drinking them so I'm going off them again.
I had lost 7 lbs & Joe is down 11 lbs. I am discouraged because I'm at a standstill but I know it's because I've gone off my sticking to this.
I am walking most evenings of the week with my sister. We usually do a mile to two miles around town. I also do the Leslie Sansone walk aerobics but not faithfully. My main problem is consistency.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:51 am

Kerrig I know how hard it is to give up soda, I've tried so many times and I still wind back up drinking at least 1 can or bottle a week. I crave it when I'm stressed and that is EVERY day these days. Keep up walking, it's nice that you have someone you can exercise with, especially since it's your sister. Smile
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks Patrice. Yes, I am thankful to be able to walk with her. When Joe gets home early enough he walks with us also. Smile
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu May 23, 2013 12:27 am

It's been awhile since anyone has give an update on how they are doing and what they are doing. Please check in and let us know what's working for you, what's not working and what you are planning on trying in the future.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama Thu May 23, 2013 12:44 am

I've not lost any, in fact I've gained a few pounds over the last few months. Recently I watched a documentary called Forks over Knives and that has given me some motivation. Since last weekend, I've been loading up on veggies and fruits instead of so much carbs, and I've really noticed a difference.

We're having lots of stormy weather right now, which always flares up my arthritis, but this week I'm doing MUCH better, pain-wise. My blood sugar is also more stable.

I cut out breakfast cereals and instead we're making fruit smoothies in the blender. Snacks are fresh fruit and veggies or a handful of nuts, with a big portion of veggies along with a little meat and a carb for dinner. The kids say I'm less irritable.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu May 23, 2013 12:50 am

I haven't been too faithful in following my diet. Embarassed I have been more active with the garden project which is helping my blood sugar levels. I've noticed I'm craving less carbs lately which is a good thing. Wink Hopefully once the garden gets going I'll be eating a better/lower Carb diet.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu May 23, 2013 12:50 am

Sounds like you're on the right track. Tell us more about Forks over Knives, it sounds interesting.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu May 23, 2013 12:51 am

Patrice, anytime you eat more fresh foods the healthier it is. It's all those packaged foods with all the chemicals and carbs that affect us. I've noticed Ty has slimmed down since we switched to using only goats milk.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu May 23, 2013 12:57 am

Eating out doesn't help either which we've been doing quite a bit lately. Yeah for Ty, especially if he likes the milk. I've switches us back to whole milk because I saw something that said they were adding powdered milk to the 2% and it had more chemicals in it than the whole milk does.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu May 23, 2013 12:58 am

Ty loves milk and things made with milk. I think his favorite meal is biscuits and gravy. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu May 23, 2013 1:00 am

PATRICE IN IL wrote:Eating out doesn't help either which we've been doing quite a bit lately. Yeah for Ty, especially if he likes the milk. I've switches us back to whole milk because I saw something that said they were adding powdered milk to the 2% and it had more chemicals in it than the whole milk does.

Is the reason you eat out a lot due to lack of time? If so, maybe we can find some make ahead meals for those who have a hectic schedule.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu May 23, 2013 1:03 am

Part has been lack of time and part sheer exhaustion from working on the garden. I need to get a few more meals made ahead and put in the freezer.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Thu May 23, 2013 1:32 am

Joe keeps losing about a pound a week. He's working a lot of hours with heavy labor. I've lost 7 lbs but am maintaining right now. Still have quite a bit to go.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu May 23, 2013 3:01 am

kerrig, for some reason it seems men lose weight faster than women.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Thu May 23, 2013 3:38 am

I don't need to lose any weight right now, but did lose several a few years ago. The way I did it was to cut way back on my chocolate consumption. While that might not make sense to some, believe me, it was a struggle.

I'm hypoglycemic. And I had a doctor tell me many years ago to just keep chocolate on hand for if my blood sugar dropped. I went from eating an occasional bar to eating a 6 pack of chocolate a day-and wanting more. And while I didn't cut out the chocolate completely (hey, I'm a woman after all! If I got rid of all the chocolate, it would NOT be a pretty picture! Laughing) I don't eat anywhere near as much. I'd say I lost at least 25 lbs-if not more. I gained a few back, but not that much.

Right now, I'm at around 130. And, for my height (5 ft 4.5 inches) and my age (52), it's a good weight.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Thu May 23, 2013 2:31 pm

I can offer this as insight, but little else

I need about 3,800 calories per day to maintain my weight. Any less and I lose weight at the rate of up to 1 pound per day. Between my activity level both at home and at work, and my naturally high metabolism (I've always had a hard time putting on weight. Mom even talks about it from before I was a year old) it is just something that requires a certain amount of fuel to "run the engines"

Some guys are heavy and have a time with their weight, some not so much. So here's my theory. Men and women are built different, have different bone and muscle structure, and different fat cells and fat pads at different areas around the body. Since the female body is built for child bearing and nurturing, it would naturally require greater energy stores to feed an infant and still have enough reserves to survive a period of fasting due to lack of food.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by carla Fri May 24, 2013 2:28 pm

I for one have never worried about what I eat and as you can tell from the picture I am very over weight. In Feb. I decided to start eating healthier. I wasn't concerned with the amount if food I was putting in my mouth.
I started eating veg. I would never have touched before. Found out I do like healthy foods after all. So eating much healthier. In March the Lord started dealing with me, that I was not taking care of his temple. I started eating less. I would put the amount of food on my plate that I normally would have eaten. I made myself stop eating when 1/2 the food on the plate was eaten, put the other 1/2 away for the next day. According to the scale I am not losing weight so I must be losing inches because my clothes are getting to big.
I have decided that I will not step on the scale again, and I will continue to eat healthier and will appreciate the food the good Lord supplies me and not take it for granted. I now eat only what I need. I don't need to eat just because I love food!
I do eat choc. and what ever else I crave. One night I wanted choc. so bad and there was a 3 musketeer in the appt. I took 2 bites and put the rest away for another day. That took care of the craving. To God be The Glory! I never could have made this change on my own. Very Happy

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri May 24, 2013 11:56 pm

Carla, one thing I heard people do is start using smaller plates. Another thing I've heard is to drink a glass of water before eating a meal. Also, and this may sound counter productive, but instead of eating 3 big meals, space it out. Eat 6 small meals.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carla Wed May 29, 2013 2:09 pm

Sonshine I have tried the eating up to 4 times a day was the most I could do. I felt like all I did was eat that day. That didn't work well for me. I do know it works for some though.
I think the best thing for me is what I've been doing because than I see what I used to eat vs what I eat now and it makes me feel good.
One night I was craving chips so I counted out 10 chips and put the bag away. I sat down with my 10 chips and a bottle of water. I ate a chip, drink of water till 7 chips were gone. The craving was gone so I put the remaining 3 chips back in the bag.
One day I could get not out of bed and was lethargic. I told Jeff I felt like I was slipping away. I could not get awake and felt like I had been drugged. I also made the comparison to thinking this must be how people getting end of life morphine for comfort must feel. I could hear everything that was going on around me, but could not respond. It was scary. I finally realized that my sugar must have dropped to low. Somehow I forced myself to Jeff's side of the bed. He had mike n ikes on his bed side table. As I was reaching for them I remembered 10 of them was 100 calories. lol In the condition I was in I was able to count out the 10 and force them down. It was no time till I was up out of bed and carry on as normal. Yes, I know I'm a dork.

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Wed May 29, 2013 5:43 pm

I've been there w/the low blood sugar. It's no fun at all.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Wed May 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Carla, you aren't a dork. LOL I think some people get too caught up on the whole weight issue. Of course, being obese is not healthy, but God made each of us different. I have a small body frame, so if I gain very much weight it's hard for me physically, but people with larger frames not so much. Carla, I know why you have had weight issues, it was due to an ailment when you were a child. Of course, it didn't help that Grandma loved to cook. Smile But you also have a larger body frame. Also, I believe genetics are involved in weight too. Our family on your side are not tiny people. Now, on my Dad's side of the family we have some smaller people, Aunt Melzie is a good example. I think I get my body frame from Dad's side of the family. Any way, I said all this to say this, God created us all different. Unless weight affects your health I wouldn't be worrying about it. Eat healthy and exercise as much as you can and you'll do fine. Just my 2 cents worth.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Thu May 30, 2013 12:06 am

something that I have been wondering about is the use of high fructose corn syrup. It seems it's being added to everything...

"The American Heart Association recommends that women get no more than 100 calories a day from added sugar from any source, and that most men get no more than 150 calories a day from added sugar. That's about 6 teaspoons of added sugar for women and 9 teaspoons for men"

At this time, there's insufficient evidence to say that high-fructose corn syrup is any less healthy than other types of sweeteners. We do know, however, that too much added sugar — not just high-fructose corn syrup — can contribute unwanted calories that are linked to health problems, such as weight gain, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and high triglyceride levels. All of these boost your risk of heart disease.

read the entire page here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fructose-corn-syrup/AN01588

So perhaps reading the labels on everything may also help.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by EJOY Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:54 am

The DVD called "Forks Over Knives" was mentioned. In a nut shell, it's a documentary about the diets and eating habits in America and other places, and how good healthy food can help our bodies heal. I personally think it gives some great information and would encourage everyone to watch it. I can't give a detailed review as it was a while ago that I watched it, but I hope to buy a copy of it soon. I want my family to see it. I believe there is also a book, if you'd rather read. If you need any encouragement to eat properly and healthy or want to learn more about nutrition, this is something you will want to check out.

EJOY
EJOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum