Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it? EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it? EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it? EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it? EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  Taco  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it?

Go down

How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it? Empty How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it?

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:27 pm

My garden didn't do too well this year. So far all I have managed to can are green beans. My tomatoes were sparse except for the volunteer cherry and grape ones. I have been picking those and popping them into freezer bags and into my spare freezer. I'll use them to make a fresh tasting pasta sauce in the winter.

I've gotten 3 pie pumpkins that I'll be cubing and pressure canning for dessert items. I've harvested the apples from both of my dwarf/semi-dwarf trees and will be making apple sauce later this week.

I didn't get enough cucumbers to bother with making any pickles. I do have a few heads of cabbage growing and will harvest them before the first frost. We planted corn 3 times and all I got were 4 stalks to come up and only 1 good ear of corn.

I did plant some garlic, but I'm going to overwinter it so I can get some nice big heads next year. I have to dug around and see what the potato crop looks like. I didn't plant any this year but had the potatoes that were scabby from last year and I left to rot send up shoots, so we'll see if I have anything worth harvesting.

I was gifted with peaches and blackberries by a friend from church. I put most of the peaches into the freezer already, I still have 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket to process. The blackberries went straight to the freezer to use for jam later this year.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it? Empty Re: How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it?

Post by Beanie on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:48 pm

This has been dubbed the year of the tomato! The place we bought had a huge garden space. I planted my usual sandwich tomatoes, Romas and heritage varieties with 3 cherry plants. Little did I know that they musst have dumped tomatoes in the garden at the end of the season because I ended up with 7 volunteer regular tomato plants and 10 cherry volunteers.

Sooooo...I've canned tomato sauce and soup, froze 'mators and gave away 'mators!
Also our okra has been the best year ever! I have a gallon bag of sliced breaded okra for frying in the freezer and I canned some okra and tomatoes.

The corn was puny but I did get some to freeze and the snap peas failed from the drought.
My fig tree is loaded and i am looking forward to making preserves from them.

I planted my Fall veggies so we'll see how they go.
Beanie
Beanie

Back to top Go down

How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it? Empty Re: How'd your garden do and what are you preserving from it?

Post by Sonshine on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:35 pm

We had a mixed reveiw. We had collard and mustard green that did real good. Could barely keep up with them. Our green beans did wonderful. We were overrun with cucumbers and ended up giving a lot of them away. Our okra did ok, but alot of my seed didn't germinate. I forgot to soak them before planting, so we got enough to eat off of, but didn't get any put up. Our crooked neck squash did good and we got some put up of it. Peppers did good, but our tomatoes didn't do that great. I did manage to put up some salsa, but had Joe buy some tomatoes and some corn to put up. Our corn gave us enough to eat off of, but they ears were small and not enough to put up. I used most of the corn we grew to make soup. My cabbage was destroyed by rabbits. Next year I'll try the flour and cayenne that Amy told me about to see if I can deter the rabbits.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by siletz on Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:10 pm

The garden did good this year, but had a slow start from our cool wet early summer, so things are a bit behind the norm. Other than just fresh eating, so far this year we dehydrated broccoli, froze snowpeas, canned zucchini relish, tomatoes, pickles, and green beans. Will be canning applesauce and apple cider later this month. I'm drying the garlic and potatoes now and waiting on the soup beans and flour corn to dry before picking them.

siletz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:16 am

siletz, sounds like you were blessed with a wonderful harvest. Smile

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by siletz on Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:56 am

We are trying each year to be a little more self-sufficient and God is helping us get there. We don't get as warm in the summer as most, so not everything likes to grow here, but we just keep finding what works and growing that.

siletz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum