» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
How is everything going? EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
How is everything going? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
How is everything going? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
How is everything going? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
How is everything going? EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

How is everything going?

Go down

How is everything going? Empty How is everything going?

Post by Mississippi Momma on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:42 pm

I've cut out some of the between meal snacking, cooking with less fat and less high carb foods and leaving off seconds. I'm hoping for a loss on Friday even though it's been so rainy that I haven't been able to get outside to walk around nor work since the weekend.

I have an exercise bike at my daughter Lisa's house that I need to get. Our house is so small there's really no where to set it up that it's not in the way. I could put it on the back porch but if it's raining I still won't be able to exercise on it. Oh well, I'll figure out something to do when the weather isn't cooperating.

I can do all things through Him Who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13 New American Standard Bible)

Give her of the fruit of her hands: and let her own works praise her in the gates. (Proverbs 31:31)

http://hunnybunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

How is everything going? Empty Re: How is everything going?

Post by Sonshine on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:10 pm

Be careful with no between meal snacks. A lot of times it can cause your blood sugar to get out of whack. I've heard of people actually eating several smaller meals during the day instead of sticking with 3 meals a day. If you keep the snacks small and healthy it may be an extra benefit, you aren't as hungry during meal times, so are less likely to over eat, some say it will increase your metabolism. Here's some links about it. Of course, there are always differences of opinions.

http://dietguru.org/eating-several-small-meals-for-weight-loss.html

http://www.news-press.com/article/20110324/NEWS0101/110324043/Eating-several-small-meals-day-better-metabolism

http://www.livestrong.com/eating-small-meals/

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:04 am

Thank you Sonshine. I read the articles and bookmarked them to go back and read again. I've tried to do the five small meals a day. I always felt like all I was doing was eating or getting something ready to eat. Guess if I boiled some eggs, cut up some veggies and had some low carb/low fat foods on hand maybe I would do better.

It sure wouldn't hurt to try again. Thanks for sharing the articles. Smile

Give her of the fruit of her hands: and let her own works praise her in the gates. (Proverbs 31:31)

Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:01 am

Hi! Sorry I haven't checked in for a few days, it's been crazy here. I have a ton of cooking and baking to do for the Memorial Service Saturday at church. I'll be baking a turkey, a half sheet pan each of lemon bars and cherry bars and possibly making macaroni salad on Friday. Hopefully I won't be tempted to sample too much turkey, I LOVE the crispy skin! Wink I'm planning on leaving the lemon and cherry bars on the sheet pans so I can't take them missing a piece. Wink

I've been doing ok with my diet, I've only had 1 soda this week. I'm still struggling with my sweet tooth, my son made cookies today and I ate a few. I have a terrible addiction to sweets that is going to take some time to break. Other than that I've been cooking with less oil/butter, eating smaller meals and really trying to watch my carbs closer. When I was first diagnosed type 2 diabetic and saw the dietician we decided that I needed to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day to help keep my blood sugar stabilized. I've got to find my meal plan and get back to following it more closely.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:38 am

Patrice, try to keep some fruit on hand to curb the sweet tooth. I've never really dieted, but I love fresh veggies, so I usually keep a ziplock bag in my fridge. When I get the munchies they're already cut up and ready to eat. I'm more of a salt eater than a sweet eater, but I think a lot of that is because I like the crunchiness, so the veggies take care of that. Another good snack food to have around is popcorn. Try air popping it with just enough salt to satisfy the cravings. Another thing for a sweet tooth that is low in calories is angle food cake. Cover it with your favorite fruit and it's good for you and taste wonderful

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Sonshine. I'm not a fan of air popped popcorn, I love stovetop popped popcorn though. I usually add 1 tablespoon of oil to the popper, 1/2 cup kernals and about 1-2 tablespoon of butter after the corn starts to pop. I add popcorn salt after it's popped.

I love my fruits too! Smile Funds are too tight for fresh fruit right now. Sad Good thing I have plenty of home canned, no sugar added apple slices and apple sauce. I have some frozen peaches, strawberries and blueberries too. I also have dehydrated apples and raisins.

Instead of angel food cake I make a plain french vanilla cake for my step-daughter's birthday. I then take a can of crushed pineapple in juice and add a container of sliced strawberries, mix and serve over the cake. We usually serve it with a bit of Cool Whip on the top, it is SO GOOD.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm not sure how many calories are in the french vanilla cake. Angel food cake has very low calories. As for the popcorn, would you be able to enjoy it without adding the butter? You can use the oil without adding too many calories, but when people get into adding butter they can get into trouble. Smile

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm a salt eater too. Every once in a while I get cravings for sweets which I try to curb with sugar free puddings or jello but sometimes that doesn't work and I go ahead and eat what I'm craving because I've noticed that I munch if I don't. It's kind of like I'm trying to satisfy that craving but it doesn't work. LOL

I'm going to get some carrots, celery and radishes when I grocery shop and put those in the fridge for snacking. Also some yougurts to have for a middle meal. I will boil some eggs and keep them in the fridge too. I love boilded eggs with salt and lots of pepper on them. I'm making myself hungry. LOL

Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:00 pm

Sonshine, my son and I split the popcorn and the little bit of butter I use when making it gives it so much flavor that the calories are worth it. I typically only use 1 tablespoon of real butter for the entire batch. When I add it to the popper, after the popcorn starts to pop, all the corn gets coated with the flavor.

I have digestive issues with most raw veggies so I typically eat more cooked ones instead. I do like raw cucumbers, sugar snap peas and tomatoes. I like yogurt for snacks and even breakfast. I'm going to have to get a small container of plain to make a batch of homemade yogurt, it's so much cheaper that way. I'm not a fan of hard boiled eggs, unless they are made into egg salad or in potato salad.

I like to snack on cheese, olives, whole grain crackers and grapes in the afternoon. I read someplace that you should have a mix of protien, high fiber carbs and good fats at snack time.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:50 pm

Patrice, yes, you should have a mix of protien, high fiber carb and good fats, it's what your body craves, so you will be satisfied with less if you balance it out.

One thing I have learned is most of us eat until we are too full. If we can learn to eat till the hunger is gone instead of over stuffing, your stomach will begin to shrink and you won't feel hunger pangs as much. Also, always drink a glass of water before you eat. It will also quiet down some of the hunger pangs. Smile

I was thinking, I'm not much on raw veggies without dip. Maybe find some low cal way of fixing your favorite dip to give it that something extra. Just a thought. Smile

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Sonshine. The raw veggies are pretty much out due to the digestive issues at this point, with or without dip.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum