Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Sloppy  Seasoning  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom

5 posters

Go down

Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom Empty Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom

Post by Sonshine Mon May 11, 2009 2:14 am

Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom - www.christianpost.com

The nation's largest group of Christian media professionals warns that the expanded Hate Crimes bill currently before the Senate presents a serious risk of violating free speech rights of religious communicators.

The nation's largest group of Christian media professionals warns that the expanded Hate Crimes bill currently before the Senate presents a serious risk of violating free speech rights of religious communicators.

The Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act was introduced in the Senate last week just as the House passed its version in a 249-175 vote. It is expected to pass the Senate despite the protest from social conservative groups.

The legislation is intended by its sponsors to protect homosexuals and transgendered people from violent hate crimes by expanding a list of federally protected groups to include sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and disability.

But the 1,400-member National Religious Broadcasters says Christian broadcasters and even pastors covering culturally unpopular views, such as preaching homosexuality as sin, could face prosecution just for expressing their religious views because their teachings could be blamed for inciting violence.

"Bottom line is we think that the bill under this language, while it's touted as something as designed to crack down on violence and hate-inspired crime, in fact can be used to prosecute non-violent crimes," NRB senior vice president and general counsel Craig Parshall told The Christian Post. "The bill has a chilling effect on the right of communicators to articulate and preach the full counsel of God."

Parshall said if the hate crimes legislation is made into law, Christian communicators could face prosecution for religious speech through already existing federal incitement and conspiracy laws.

For example, a prosecutor might argue that an attacker was inspired by a sermon against homosexuality and consider religious broadcasters or pastors who gave the message as "causal factors" in a violent crime.

And the extent of the hate crimes legislation goes beyond those who address homosexuality, Parshall argued. Christian communicators who preach on sexual sin in general, such as adultery, and the definition of marriage or teach apologetics that compare other religions to Christianity would also be at risk, he said.

The Senate version of the hate crimes bill targets alleged perpetrators who attempt to "cause bodily injury to any person, because of the actual or perceived religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability of any person."

Parshall said the term "bodily injury" could be used to apply to mental trauma or mental or emotional impairment such as intimidation.

Although the Senate version contains provisions that appear to protect constitutional speech and free expression, Parshall contended they are just "nice political banter" for debate that are not substantial protection for free speech.

That's because the Supreme Court and Court of Appeals' interpretation of constitutional rights has been eroding to the point that the Court has eviscerated free expression, he argued.

"If it's ever a contest of the power of government on one hand and the person's right of religious expression, the government will always win," said Parshall.

Parshall said he has been working very closely with NRB vice president of government relations Bob Powers in meeting with senators and state representatives to insist that protections for Christian communicators be included in the bill.

It's what is not written that can later be used against religious speech, he said.

Legal groups specializing in constitutional rights, including the American Center for Law and Justice and Alliance Defense Fund, have also been working with the NRB to propose revised language for the bill.

So far, the groups are still looking for a senator to sponsor an amendment to change the language.

Parshall added that his biggest concern is not with the hate crimes legislation itself but the "ripple-out effect" after the bill is passed.

He noted that the Federal Communications Commission has before it a petition to investigate "hate" on conservative radio. Private employers could be pressured to accept workers regardless of sexual orientation, such as suggested in the Employment Non-Discrimination Act. Public education could also be affected, he said.

"The hate crimes bill is not only dangerous in itself but creates an environment of the censorship of ideas that are culturally unpopular," said Parshall.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom Empty Re: Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom

Post by 7dawn Tue May 12, 2009 9:42 am

Oh, religious freedom was gone as soon as Obama took office and the liberals took control. BTW, I read a lot of this stuff last night. I was just to tired to think and then there was the whole Russia show of might article that sent pictures through my head of Putin shirtless...The one they like to show on the news so much. I find him to be a bit chunky...Don't you? Still shuddering....
7dawn
7dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom Empty Re: Christian Broadcasters Warn of Hate Crimes Bill's Effect on Religious Freedom

Post by Cotton Picker Wed May 13, 2009 5:12 am

This is what we are in for should the "hate crimes" legislation should pass...

Sweden

The Bible becomes "hate speech" - In June 2004, Swedish pastor Ake Green was arrested and sentenced to one month in prison for preaching against homosexuality in his pulpit at his church in Kalmar in 2003. Green was the first pastor prosecuted for a "hate crime" after the Swedish government added "sexual orientation" to its "hate crime" law in 2003. The public prosecutor, Kjell Yngvesson, justified the arrest by saying, "Collecting Bible [verses] on this topic as he does makes this hate speech." An appeals court threw out the case in February 2004, saying that offering an interpretation of the Bible and urging others to follow it is not illegal.
<snip>

United Kingdom

Banned in Scotland - The Scottish Parliament has banned criticism of homosexuality by religious guest speakers during the four-minute slot in its proceedings called "A Time for Reflection," in which representatives of different religions are invited to speak. On December 22, 2004, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, the Catholic Archbishop of St. Andrews and Edinburgh, gave a Christmas message that included a vague mention of "sexual aberrations" as a form of human captivity. A leftist Parliament member immediately proposed a motion to prohibit religious ministers from speaking against homosexuality during the reflection time. The motion, which passed, called Cardinal O'Brien's reference a "gratuitous insult."17

New Zealand

Christian videos banned as "hate speech" - After a Christian group called Living Word made two videos that questioned "safe sex" slogans by exposing the link between AIDS and homosexual behavior, the New Zealand Film and Literature Board of Review banned the films for encouraging "hate speech." A parliamentary committee also attempted to have censorship laws changed so that all Christian videos critical of homosexuality would be banned. The Court of Appeal overturned the film board's decision to ban the videos, maintaining that the documentaries were "essentially political tracts and could not be banned under censorship laws dealing with sex and violence."24
<snip>

Canada

For a more concentrated view of the nasty effects of hate crimes laws against religious freedom, we now turn to our neighbor to the north. Enacting extensive hate crime laws and even recently legalizing same-sex "marriage," Canada in recent years has become a laboratory for homosexual activists experimenting with legal methods to suppress dissent.

Here's a summary of the situation from the Alliance Defense Fund:

We have already seen the means radical advocates of homosexual behavior just north of our border in Canada will go to in order to intimidate and silence Christians. C-250, the country's new "hate crimes" law, reads: "Everyone who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, willfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of … an indictable offense and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years." The law specifically states that those who practice homosexual behavior are an "identifiable" group.

The bill's author, homosexual Canadian politician Svend Robinson, said he hoped his measure would make "the current use of homophobic pejoratives in public schools and in public places socially and criminally reprehensible."25

http://www.cultureandfamily.org/articledisplay.asp?id=9672&department=CFI&categoryid=papers

Cotton Picker

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeBird58 Fri May 15, 2009 4:43 am

If this bill passes it will get very interesting. One could look at this as a test. We know Peter said he would follow Jesus but then went as far as claiming to not even know Jesus when faced with danger. We also know this chnged after the day of Pentecost. Then we see Paul who was beaten and thrown in prison numerous times for preaching the Gospel. Even preached in prison! This makes me wonder .... how many ministers of the Gospel will go silent from the pulpit on sin of any kind.... other than the ones that are already there?? I truely believe there is a Shakin in the Makin and a lot of folks are NOT ready for it.
FreeBird58
FreeBird58

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri May 15, 2009 4:58 am

FreeBird,
I love your picture! You're right, after Pentecost many who were afraid to stand up for Jesus in the face of persecution had a new boldness. The Holy Spirit gives us the boldness to be witnesses, even in the face of what we are about to experience. Unfortunately you're also right in saying that many folks are not ready for it. You have to be at a point where you love Jesus more than life itself, which is a no brainer for me, because to die is to gain.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotton Picker Fri May 15, 2009 5:15 am

FreeBird58 wrote:
If this bill passes it will get very interesting. One could look at this as a test. We know Peter said he would follow Jesus but then went as far as claiming to not even know Jesus when faced with danger. We also know this chnged after the day of Pentecost. Then we see Paul who was beaten and thrown in prison numerous times for preaching the Gospel. Even preached in prison! This makes me wonder .... how many ministers of the Gospel will go silent from the pulpit on sin of any kind.... other than the ones that are already there?? I truely believe there is a Shakin in the Makin and a lot of folks are NOT ready for it.

I believe we are on the cusp of the "sheep from the goats" age.... I believe that this verse will proved to be otherwise for many... In the not too distant future...
Hebrews 12:4 After all, you have not yet given your lives in your struggle against sin.
I also believe that this hymn.. Is about to take on some unpleasantly, real meaning.....
“Are ye able,” said the Master,
“To be crucified with Me?”
“Yea,” the sturdy dreamers answered,
“To the death we follow Thee.”

Refrain

Lord, we are able. Our spirits are Thine.
Remold them, make us, like Thee, divine.
Thy guiding radiance above us shall be
A beacon to God, to love and loyalty.

Are you able to relinquish
Purple dreams of power and fame,
To go down into the Garden,
Or to die a death of shame?

Refrain

Are ye able, when the anguish
Racks your mind and heart with pain,
To forgive the souls who wrong you,
Who would make your striving vain?

Refrain

Are ye able to remember,
When a thief lifts up his eyes,
That his pardoned soul is worthy
Of a place in paradise?

Refrain

Are ye able when the shadows
Close around you with the sod,
To believe that spirit triumphs,
To commend your soul to God?

Refrain

Are ye able? Still the Master
Whispers down eternity,
And heroic spirits answer,
Now as then in Galilee.

Refrain

However... I am comforted by this thought...
2 Timothy 1:12 And that is why I am suffering here in prison. But I am not ashamed of it, for I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return.

2Ti 1:13 Hold on to the pattern of right teaching you learned from me. And remember to live in the faith and love that you have in Christ Jesus.

2Ti 1:14 With the help of the Holy Spirit who lives within us, carefully guard what has been entrusted to you.

Cotton Picker

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeBird58 Fri May 15, 2009 6:21 am

lol! Thanks CP:

One thing I don't have to worry about is that we're on the same page. Oh, I must confess that when you talked to frugalmomma2 at HT you were talking to me, I'm the DH. hence the avatar. Trying to come up with a line to go under it to gig the evolution theory.
FreeBird58
FreeBird58

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri May 15, 2009 6:40 am

Freebird,
Have you gone to the intro site yet? I'm glad you decided to follow frugalmomma2 here. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeBird58 Fri May 15, 2009 6:45 am

Yes Sonshine I certainly have . I'm Hello from East Tenn again. We talked yesterday. Very glad to be here. Very Happy
FreeBird58
FreeBird58

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri May 15, 2009 6:46 am

You didn't have your avatar yet, it threw me off. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeBird58 Fri May 15, 2009 6:57 am

I sometimes have that affect on people...LOL Would have answered quicker but I was busy reading the ATT: all members announcement. Can't say that I'm surprised.
FreeBird58
FreeBird58

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotton Picker Fri May 15, 2009 7:02 am

FreeBird58 wrote:
lol! Thanks CP:

One thing I don't have to worry about is that we're on the same page.
Glad to hear it....
FreeBird58 wrote:
Oh, I must confess that when you talked to frugalmomma2 at HT you were talking to me, I'm the DH.
Oh... My apologies, if I at any point in the past, have refered to you as, Dear, Darlin', or Sweetie....
FreeBird58 wrote:
hence the avatar. Trying to come up with a line to go under it to gig the evolution theory.
I don't know if it would fit... But hows about... Just because you can dress a Chimpanzee in a monkey suit.... Doesn't make me his Uncle....

Cotton Picker

Back to top Go down

Post by My1SqueakyShoe Fri May 15, 2009 7:50 am

Cotton..... You are so funny..... P
My1SqueakyShoe
My1SqueakyShoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotton Picker Fri May 15, 2009 8:12 am

My1SqueakyShoe wrote:
Cotton..... You are so funny..... P
Thankew, thankew very much...

Hey Patricia...

I understand the Otto von Bismarck quote... However, I like this one even better....

“Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.”

--St. Francis de Sales

Cotton Picker

Back to top Go down

Post by My1SqueakyShoe Fri May 15, 2009 9:12 am

That is a good one too......
My1SqueakyShoe
My1SqueakyShoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum