» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
New to the group EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
New to the group EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
New to the group EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
New to the group EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
New to the group EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  Seasoning  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

New to the group

Go down

New to the group Empty New to the group

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:08 pm

Hi my name is Patrice. I'm married and have a 12 year old son with my DH. I also have 3 step-sons and 2 step-daughters. My DH and I have been together for 21 years this February, only married for 11 of those years. I'm disabled, I have 2 different types of arthritis along with autoimmune system issues. We try to live as simply as possible. I homeschool our son. I like to garden, cook and bake~~mainly from scratch, can/freeze/dehydrate, sew and do all types of crafts.

We live on just under a 1/4 of an acre in the suburbs of Chicago. I have 1 dog, 4 chickens, a good size garden which I'm planning on enlarging again this year. I also do some growing in containers and grow bags. I have 3 blueberry bushes and 2 apple trees. I'm planning on adding 2 more apple trees and possibly a peach tree this year. I'd like to add other small fruits if I could find someplace to put them.

We are God Fearing Christians and believe we are in the beginning of the end times. We are trying to become as self-sufficient as possible. We are trying to pay down debts and try to live by the "Use it up, wear it out, make do or do without" mind set. I was raised in a large family, with immigrant grandparents, and both of my parents grew up during the depression. We were raised with frugal values, hand-me-downs, canning and gardening. I'm definitely returning to my roots, so to speak. I believe God will take care of us and provide what we need. I feel that we have the responsibility to preserve the extras that God provides for us. It's no different now than when Pharoh stored 1/5 of the harvest during the seven years of plenty for the seven years of famine.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

New to the group Empty Re: New to the group

Post by Sonshine on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Patrice,
I'm so glad you joined our group.

We're a military family, so have lived a lot of places, BUT, I was born and raised in Rockford, IL.

I agree that we are in the beginning of the end times. This is why I started this forum. I felt the Lord preparing me for a while now, but part of what I feel the Lord has led me to do is to share with others, thus, this forum.

I'm not real knowledgable in regards to homesteading, but I'm learning. I think knowledge is our best way to prepare. I love doing a garden and have done gardens before I ever got into "prep" mode, but with the urgings from the Holy Spirit I began prepping in earnest.

We live on a couple of acres. We have our garden, chickens and goats. We also have blueberry bushes, raspberries, black berries, muscadine and scuvadine and some concord grape vines, oh, and our strawberry patch. We have 2 apple trees, 2 peach, 1 fig and 2 pecan trees. We try to add something new every year. Last year we got the peach trees and fig tree. I also have a lemon, lime and orange dwarf trees that we keep in buckets so we can bring them in the house during the winter. So far none have produced fruit, so I'm hoping our dwarf trees will produce this year.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:36 am

Thanks for the welcome and starting this group Sonshine.

I'm hoping my apple trees produce better this year. I only got 6 apples off of one of the trees, that one I put in 3 or 4 years ago. The other tree I put in 2 years ago to replace one that died.

I've been prepping for about 12 years. I agree that knowledge is one of the best preps you can have, second only to a personal relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. There isn't only one way to prepare. Anything you do to gain knowledge and experience means you are on your way to preparing and protecting yourself and loved ones for the tough times ahead. I don't have a ton of homesteading experience, but every time I learn, then master a new skill, I'm a bit more prepared to handle what comes my way.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:40 am

Yes, without that personal relationship with Jesus, it wouldn't matter how much we prep. I've had Christians tell me that it shows a lack of faith to prep, but as you showed in your OP, God expects us to prepare. It's impossible to prepare for every situation, but we know that nothing can happen to God's children without Him allowing it. I believe if we're faithful in following what He's called us to do, then nothing else matters.

How long does it usually take for fruit trees to start bearing fruit?

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:15 pm

It usually takes 4-5 years for most fruit trees to produce.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Welcome Patrice. You will enjoy this forum. Sonshine is the greatest. Very helpful and she knows a lot about a lot of stuff. Since you like to cook and bake you should check out the recipe section. Great recipes.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome backtotheland. I've already been checking the recipes section out and you are correct there are many great recipes there. Smile
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum