Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Cheap dinners EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Cheap dinners EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Cheap dinners EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Cheap dinners EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Cheap dinners EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Cheap dinners EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Cheap dinners EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Cheap dinners EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Cheap dinners EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Sloppy  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

Cheap dinners

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cheap dinners Empty Cheap dinners

Post by amybyrd21 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:06 am

I was thinking about making a list of cheap dinners for every one. If you have one to share please list them. I will be adding atleast one a day (I hope)

Rotisseri chicken- you can get atleast three meals maybe more out of one.

1. Chicken for dinner
2. chicken salad
3. using the bones you can make broth for soup- I add the drippings out of the container
4. Chicken pot pie
5. Chicken and gravy

Carl Buddig Beef -the thin sliced kind
I slice it into strips then fry it in a little butter. I remove it from the pan and make a white gravy with the drippings a little butter , flour and milk. I add a few dashes of worscherschire sauce (to taste) and put the beef back in. We serve this over eggs or toast.

Vegetable dinner
Vegetables are cheaper than meat. Exspecially when you grow them. We serve beans, fried potatoes, corn bread and turnip greens for dinner at least three times a week.

Spaghetti
Thiis is super cheap when you think about it.

Ramen noodles- you can add to them to make them more filling. I worked with a guy that added steak to them, veggies, hot dogs. He lived off of them and just added a little something extra (and never the same).

My favorite is a bake potato dinner. I bake them in the oven and them we put ham, cheese, or chili and cheese on them. The toppings are endless and usually depend on what we have in the pantry.

amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

http://waylandcook.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Cheap dinners Empty Re: Cheap dinners

Post by Sonshine on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:29 am

Just about anything made with ground beef is cheap. Home made chili, like you mentioned, spaghetti, casseroles. One my mom use to make all the time you just brown your ground beef with some chopped onion. Add mixed veggies and some egg noodles and top it with parmesean cheese. She called it beef noodle casserole, I call it yummy. I always added some canned tomatoes to it too. Also, meatballs are cheap to make and adding different types of sauces you can have several meals with them. My favorite meatball recipe is easy. You make your meatballs, then add cream of mushroom soup and sour cream to make a sauce, serve it over either rice or noodles with a salad and you have a quick, inexpensive meal that's good enough for guests.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:00 pm

One of our favorite cheap meals is fried potatoes and ham. I fry diced potatoes, onions, bell peppers and ham together, then cover part with cheese for me. Very Happy I serve this sometimes with eggs or just a veggie or salad and bread.

When spiral sliced hams are on sale and I have the extra cash I purchase 2 or 3 then cut them up into meal size servings, bag them and toss them in the freezer. I leave some as slices for a nice ham dinner or sandwiches, some gets chunked for fried potatoes or casseroles, more gets diced smaller for quiches or omlettes and the bone with a bit of meat gets bagged for beans or soup. I like to use the spirals because they are usually fully cooked. You can't go to the deli and get a pound of ham lunch meat for under $2.99 lb, but I can usually get spirals for $1.49lb or less. The last time I did this I got 3 hams that were about 10lbs each and I got 30 meals from them. If I remember correctly I purchased them for $.99lb.

Another cheap favorite is fried cabbage, polish sausage and homemade potato dumplings. It is so yummy! Very HappyStart with making the dumpling dough. First you'll need to peel and dice a large potato, then put it on to boil in some salted water. When it's tender drain it, mash it , add a bit of butter and milk (like you would make your mashed potatoes for any dinner). Transfer this mixture to a mixing bowl and spread the potatoes out thinly around the bowl to cool them a bit. Once cooled add 1 beaten large egg and stir it until blended well. Start adding all purpose flour working the dough until you have a soft play-dough consistancy. You'll probably have to knead this by hand it you don't have a heavy duty mixer. Cover the dough with plastic wrap or a damp towel to keep it from drying out.

Chunk up a large head of cabbage and dice up a large onion. Add a bit of oil and butter to your largest skillet or pot and start adding your cabbage, season with salt and pepper, cover and go slice up a pound of sausage into rounds. Stir and add more of the cabbage and onions to the pan, stir and cover to let the veggies wilt down. Once you've got all the cabbage wilting down add your sausage, cover and let cook longer.

Now get a large pot of salted water boiling to cook your dumplings in. Take part of your dough and start dropping little bits of the dough into the boiling water. The dough will puff up a bit when it cooks so don't make the dumplings too big. I aim for pieces the size of my baby finger or smaller. Cook until they float and give them a minute more just to make sure they are cooked thru. Remove them with a slotted spoon and add them to the cabbage mixture, stir and let the mix cook for a bit longer to let the dumplings grab the flavors of everything else.

I serve this with dinner rolls or french bread and butter. It is heavenly and even better reheated the next day after all the flavors have had a chance to blend together. drunken
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:29 pm

When I've got extra eggs, I like to make quiche for lunch or dinner. Our favorite is bacon and broccoli with cheddar cheese. It's pretty cheap to make, especially if you make your own pie crust. For 2 (9") crusts you'll need 3 large eggs, 1 cup of heavy cream or half & half, 3/4 cup whole milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, about 1 cup each of cooked vegetables, meat and 2 cups of cheese.

Preheat oven to 350* F. Pierce crusts with a fork and sprinkle them with a bit of cheese. Bake them for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. While they are baking, in a large bowl combine the eggs, cream, milk, and seasonings. Mix well. Into each baked pie crust place half of your vegetables, meat and about 1 cup of cheese(for the 2 pies). Pour egg mixture over the meat and veggies, top with the remaining cheese and bake 40-45 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting.

I usually use bagged bacon bits that I get at Sam's club or diced ham defrosted from the freezer along with some cooked, chopped broccoli. I think I pay around $8.00 for a 20 oz. bag of bacon bits at Sam's. I've also made this using just milk and it comes out fine, just not as rich.

Serve with a salad for a nice light lunch or dinner.

Another quick and relatively inexpensive lunch or dinner is BLT Dip served on toast.
You'll need mayonaise, sour cream, a few tomatoes, and some bacon bits. Mix together 1/2 cup mayonaise and about 1/4 cup sour cream, you want just a bit of the sour cream tang when you taste it. Next season with a bit of salt and pepper then add about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of bacon bits. Dice and seed the tomatoes and add them to the mixture. Stir to blend well. Serve over toast, open face or use as a sandwich filling. The longer you let this sit in the refrigerator, the thinner the sauce gets and the easier it is to spread. You really need to seed the tomatoes or it gets too thinned out.

This is also great as a dip for parties, just use toast points instead of whole slices.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:00 pm

Love the recipes. I have never made potatoe dumplings, but they sound deliecious, almost like my potatoe pancake recipe, except I add onion to the mix and cook it on a griddle, oh, and I thin the dough out with extra milk. I love cabbage and keilbasa. Smile

I've been making fritatas lately with our extra eggs.

Ham is probably my favorite meat, so I'll have to try finding some spiral hams on sale and breaking it up like you do so it's always available. Smile

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 30, 2013 4:32 am

PATRICE IN IL wrote:One of our favorite cheap meals is fried potatoes and ham. I fry diced potatoes, onions, bell peppers and ham together, then cover part with cheese for me. Very Happy I serve this sometimes with eggs or just a veggie or salad and bread.

When spiral sliced hams are on sale and I have the extra cash I purchase 2 or 3 then cut them up into meal size servings, bag them and toss them in the freezer. I leave some as slices for a nice ham dinner or sandwiches, some gets chunked for fried potatoes or casseroles, more gets diced smaller for quiches or omlettes and the bone with a bit of meat gets bagged for beans or soup. I like to use the spirals because they are usually fully cooked. You can't go to the deli and get a pound of ham lunch meat for under $2.99 lb, but I can usually get spirals for $1.49lb or less. The last time I did this I got 3 hams that were about 10lbs each and I got 30 meals from them. If I remember correctly I purchased them for $.99lb.

Another cheap favorite is fried cabbage, polish sausage and homemade potato dumplings. It is so yummy! Very HappyStart with making the dumpling dough. First you'll need to peel and dice a large potato, then put it on to boil in some salted water. When it's tender drain it, mash it , add a bit of butter and milk (like you would make your mashed potatoes for any dinner). Transfer this mixture to a mixing bowl and spread the potatoes out thinly around the bowl to cool them a bit. Once cooled add 1 beaten large egg and stir it until blended well. Start adding all purpose flour working the dough until you have a soft play-dough consistancy. You'll probably have to knead this by hand it you don't have a heavy duty mixer. Cover the dough with plastic wrap or a damp towel to keep it from drying out.

Chunk up a large head of cabbage and dice up a large onion. Add a bit of oil and butter to your largest skillet or pot and start adding your cabbage, season with salt and pepper, cover and go slice up a pound of sausage into rounds. Stir and add more of the cabbage and onions to the pan, stir and cover to let the veggies wilt down. Once you've got all the cabbage wilting down add your sausage, cover and let cook longer.

Now get a large pot of salted water boiling to cook your dumplings in. Take part of your dough and start dropping little bits of the dough into the boiling water. The dough will puff up a bit when it cooks so don't make the dumplings too big. I aim for pieces the size of my baby finger or smaller. Cook until they float and give them a minute more just to make sure they are cooked thru. Remove them with a slotted spoon and add them to the cabbage mixture, stir and let the mix cook for a bit longer to let the dumplings grab the flavors of everything else.

I serve this with dinner rolls or french bread and butter. It is heavenly and even better reheated the next day after all the flavors have had a chance to blend together. drunken

Love this as well. I have been known when we had the whole family at home to buy those ham steaks and make several meals out of one by doing a ham and potato bake, potato soup with a little ham, scrambled eggs and ham and even macaroni and cheese with a little ham. Added flavor and protein and went a long way if you cubed the ham steak into little cubes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Thu May 30, 2013 5:47 am

I like adding small bits of ham to things like beans and greeens. They add a lot of flavor.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome on Thu May 30, 2013 1:03 pm

hmm I was just thinking about finding this thread and adding a couple things, perfect timing mom12700.

One of my favorite meals is pizza. Pizza can be a cheap meal. If you find a sale on frozen single topping pizzas that you like, you can add extra cheese, homemade sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, what ever you like. The trick to making this taste like an expensive pizza is to lightly sprinkle about a tablespoon of water over the top of the added cheese, and bake at 450 for about 12 to 15 minutes.

A dish a friend of mine calls breakfast pizza will feed three with two strips of bacon, one medium to large potato, one egg, one sliced tomato, and enough cheese to melt on top. (add what ever else you like)
Shred the potato and place in a skillet to fry, spread into a thin layer that just covers the bottom of the skillet. (do not turn, cover with a well fitting lid) while the potato is cooking, cook or re-heat the bacon strips and crumble. Beat one egg. Pour the egg over the potato, add the bacon strips, and top with cheese and tomato slices (and what ever else you want) cover again until cheese melts. Slide out onto a plate and cut into wedges like a pizza (serve hot)

Some days I cook up some black eye peas (cow peas if you prefer) with a little onion, and rice and brussels sprouts. This has been a meal, and a midnight snack.

Proverbs 28:19  He who works his land will have abundant food...

Genesis 1:29  Then God said,"I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth, and every tree that has fruit with seed in it..."

http://christiancountryramblings.com/
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by carla on Thu May 30, 2013 1:58 pm

Patrice you made me hungry for fried potatoes. It's been years since I've had them and now I want some. I love to get a ham because I can make 3 or 4 meals out of it. Ham with potatoes, gravy, veggies. Ham & beans with corn bread, ham & cheese omlets, bean soup all with 1 ham.
Chicken is another one. chicken & dumplings, chicken pot pie, potato & chicken casserole.
I use ground turkey in most things now vs ground beef. Ground turkey is cheaper and it is good in just about everything I used to make with hamburger meat.
I love ground venison but it's hard to come by here. I would love to get my hands on some though. When I can get it, I use it in everything I would make with hamburger. Great for tacos, chili, hamburger helpers ....

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Thu May 30, 2013 5:37 pm

I don't buy burger much anymore. It's gotten to be too expensive.

The other day, my brother gave me a left over turkey carcass so I could make some soup. Much to my surprise, there was still a bunch of meat on it. I got 8 cups off of it B4 I threw it in a pot. W/that meat, I made turkey and browned rice w/stir fry veggies-enough for 8 servings. I'll also be making a turkey casserole-enough for 8 servings, and of course, my soup. When I can, I'll make a large dish of something, then freeze the leftovers in individual servings. That way, if for some reason I don't feel like cooking, I still have a good dinner.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Thu May 30, 2013 8:50 pm

I do that alot, make up extras and freeze them for quick meals. We buy our beef at the butcher shop, usually getting a side of beef. It's usually cheaper that way.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 30, 2013 9:05 pm

When DH and I did some mission type work as houseparents to teenage boys in Houston, Tx I got really creative. We had to use a menu given to each house but how you used it was up to you. Every evening I would make up a breakfast casserole using different things as a crust...cornbread, biscuits, pie type crust ,etc. Mix up my eggs with whatever we had ... a few pieces of bacon chopped up, ham chunks, sausage, etc ... then anything else....onions, green peppers, etc .... salt and pepper... and at 4:30 in the am my DH would get up and pop in the oven until done and it was ready at 5:30 am when the boys ate breakfast. Depending on the casserole picante to top to make a bit of a Mexican casserole, syrup to make a sweet casserole, pretty much whatever you wanted. We had 11 seventeen year olds and it always filled them up. Problem was that they wanted to know what they were and to tell you the truth I never use a recipe. It is what it is and tomorrow it will be what it will be. LOL We were very limited on the amount of groc. money we had so this went a long way and was fun for us and the kids.

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Thu May 30, 2013 10:21 pm

Keith I'm going to have to try your breakfast pizza, it sounds yummy.

I used to do breakfast pizzas made with pre made pizza dough, scrambled eggs, bacon, ham or sausage, veggies and cheese. I precooked the meats and made a large skillets of fluffy scrambled eggs. Next I took the crust, layered on the eggs, meat, veggies and cheese then frozen them until firm. When frozen I wrapped in plastic wrap then in foil and popped it into the freezer. When we wanted one for breakfast we'd pop it into a 350°F oven until warm and bubbly.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Thu May 30, 2013 10:23 pm

Mom12700 your casseroles sound yummy, I think I'm going to have to start assembling some casserole for the freezer. Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Fri May 31, 2013 1:32 am

Breakfast burritos are cheap and easy to make too. We also like making frittatas for dinner. Of course, some days we just do eggs, bacon or sausage and gravy with biscuits for dinner.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome on Fri May 31, 2013 1:59 pm

waffles and sausage makes a fine supper too

Proverbs 28:19  He who works his land will have abundant food...

Genesis 1:29  Then God said,"I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth, and every tree that has fruit with seed in it..."

http://christiancountryramblings.com/
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 31, 2013 9:32 pm

Absolutely, everything mentioned sounds good.

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama on Fri May 31, 2013 11:34 pm

Bean and cheese burritos--fill a tortilla with refried beans and a Tablespoon of cheddar cheese. I make up about 10 of these and freeze them in baggies to grab when we're in a hurry.

Cabbage casserole--chop up a med or lg head of cabbage and boil. When the cabbage is mostly done, add one or two cups of rice to the water. While that's cooking, fry up some ground meat. Put it all together with a jar of spaghetti sauce. This is cheap and very filling and it goes a long way. Sorry I don't have exact amounts. I just use whatever amount I have on hand. Usually it takes 2 jars of sauce if I make a big batch.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:56 am

mountainmama, that sounds delicious. I'm like you, I don't usually measure anything. I have cabbage that's just about ready to process, so I think I'll try that cabbage casserole. Most of it will probably be made into saurkraut.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:00 am

I measure to bake. Otherwise it's a pinch of that, a dash of that, and however much I want of this.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:46 am

Sonshine, that casserole is a favorite at my house, even though dh says he doesn't really like cabbage. You can also make it in the crock pot, just add the rice after the cabbage gets soft.

Dizzy, I've heard that some of the best cooks don't measure. If that's the case, I must be a really good cook! LOL!

Another cheap meal at my house is cabbage soup. I cut up the cabbage and a few stalks of celery, cook until soft in a little water and add a couple quarts of home canned tomatoes with their own juice. Any leftover veggies can go in the soup--a spoonful of green beans, a carrot that's starting to wilt, part of an onion, whatever needs to be used up. Season to taste. We like black pepper or some Mrs. Dash in ours.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:59 am

We like cabbage with keilbasa. I usually cook some northern beans and fried potatoes with it. It sure doesn't last long around here, then again, not much does. LOL

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Homeade mac and cheese, add a can of tuna, peas, top with shredded cheese, salt and pepper, and I add some cracker crumbs on top and bake for 15 min. to make a great tuna casserole. Probably under $6.00 to feed a family.

Last edited by mom12700 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : misplaced ingredient)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Instead of chili fries we make chili fried potatoes. I make up a large pot of chili at a time and make several meals from it. Chili fried potatoes, chili-getti, chili, taco salad, frito chili pies. The list can go on and on and all of them are quick to make.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 pm

We too like waffles with sausage for dinner. One of my kids favorite snacks when they were young was when I would make a batch of waffles and freeze them and when they wanted a snack I would toast one of them and fill with jelly or whipped cream fold over in a sandwich and off they'd go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum