Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
A list of things to think about I got in my email EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
A list of things to think about I got in my email EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
A list of things to think about I got in my email EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
A list of things to think about I got in my email EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
A list of things to think about I got in my email EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
A list of things to think about I got in my email EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
A list of things to think about I got in my email EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
A list of things to think about I got in my email EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
A list of things to think about I got in my email EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

A list of things to think about I got in my email

Go down

A list of things to think about I got in my email Empty A list of things to think about I got in my email

Post by Sonshine on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:57 am

From another group
I have compiled a list of simple questions to ask of yourself before or as you begin to prepare. These are meant as guidelines only, to help you figure on how much to store as well as reasons for doing so.

1) Do you have enough food in your pantry to feed your immediate
Family for 4-6 weeks, if a disaster hit today?
2) Where would you be able to find potable (drinkable) water, if the
City or county could no longer provide your supply?
3) If you have a well, could you retrieve water from it without
Electricity? Do you have a hand pump for the well?
4) How would you cook or heat food, read, etc without electricity or
Natural gas? Could you cook on a grill or open campfire?
5) If you have a mortgage, do you currently have at least 2-3 months
Put back for such an emergency?
6) Do you have a form of communication other than telephones (cell)
Like HAM radio, long range walkie talkies, CB radio, shortwave,
Etc?
7) Do you currently make a vegetable garden or do have things on hand
To make one if needed? Store viable seed? Basic hand implements?
Cool Do you have a supply of books (Bible), game boards, cards, paper,
Pens, etc to entertain children or yourselves in times of peril
And possibly holed up in close quarters?
9) Do you have at least a weeks worth of socks, underwear, tee
Shirts, heavy coats, gloves, hats for each member of your
Family? (Hygiene will become an absolute priority when the power
Goes!)
10) Do you have basic toilet items such as paper, 5 gal pail
W/plastic bags? Outhouse? Place to burn the soiled bags?
11) Do you own a handgun, shotgun or other firearms, as well as ammo
For each AND know how to clean and use them?
12) What trade or skills do you have that you could use to barter
For what you may need or run out of, in times of crisis?
13) Do you know your close neighbors or have friends whom you can
Count to partner with you for protection as well as share
Workloads and security watches?
14) Can you or someone in your household do basic emergency medical
Treatment? Do you have books to help with this as well as
Basic first aid supplies?
15) Do you have items set aside for bartering, even though you may
Not use them now? (tobacco, lighters, alcohol, etc)
16) Do you have enough fuel to get where you need to go for safety,
As well as for the grill, barter, heat, etc?

These questions are posed to make you think about issues that WILL become a priority when and if the grid goes down. Police will not be available to protect you and your property, nor will there be emergency services. You will be on your own with what you have set aside during prepping. Long term planning or plans to get somewhere safe, quickly will be a must.

If you have questions in any of these these areas, please post them for the group or open them for discussion. Many perspectives will help to make a good decision.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

A list of things to think about I got in my email Empty Re: A list of things to think about I got in my email

Post by Deena in GA on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:19 pm

Good list - not only to ask ourselves but to send to those we care about.

A good friend and I met today and discussed many of the above things. We agreed that it makes sense to not only have food, tp and such stored up, but also things like extra socks and underwear, extra detergents or the ingredients to make them, shampoo and soap, etc. She has bought a bunch of waffle-weave material and made washclothes and towels out of it because it dries so much faster than regular - using less time and energy.

Deena in GA

Back to top Go down

A list of things to think about I got in my email Empty Re: A list of things to think about I got in my email

Post by squeezinby on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:53 am

Hubby and I have been discussing all these things listed. We have most of them covered ,but there are still a few things we need to get in place. One of whitch would be alternative communication.
Thanks for posting this list. I just hope and pray that more people will read it and get ready for what is to come,because we can't carry everyone else. We will be doing good to carry our own selves through.

Amen
squeezinby
squeezinby

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:04 am

Very good list.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:31 am

If anyone has anything to add to the list, please do so. By working together to come up with the most complete list we can think of we can help one another recognize areas that need work.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Do you have a basic first aid kit and/or supplies as well as over the counter medications? Do you have extra supplies of prescription medications? Do you have a current list of all medications and doses taken by each family member?

Do you have an extra pair of sturdy shoes/boots for each member of the family?

Do you have extra feed and/or supplies for pets and livestock?

What type of food preservation supplies do you have? Do you have basic preservation knowledge and/or an instruction book to guide you?

Do you have copies of important documents kept in a safe, yet easily accessible location?
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Do you have extra work gloves, of various weights, for different applications, for each member of the family? Like leather gloves, garden gloves, rubber/plastic/vinyl gloves, etc.?

Do you have various kinds of tapes such as electrical tape, duct tape, packing tape? Do you have plastic sheeting/film or tarps to cover things and protect them from the elements? To patch things such as broken window glass or holes in the roof? How about some boards and nails to secure a tarp to the roof? Basic hand tools like hammer, screw drivers?

How about extra batteries for flashlights or radios? Solar lights or chargers? Extra flashlight bulbs or lantern wicks/mantles? Extra candles and matches? Extra lamp/lantern oil? Glow sticks?

How about extra bedding such as sleeping bags or a tent? Rope and tie down stakes for the tent?

How about insect repellant, flea collars, pest control items such as fly swatters or bug sprays? Extra window screen material to fix holes in a screen to keep out bugs?

How about a spare manual can opener as well as a bottle opener?

Extra plastic trash bags and heavy duty plastic bags? These can be used for so many other things beside refuse. You can make an emergency rain poncho, use large lawn bags to protect your sleeping bag from ground moisture, store heavily soiled laundry etc.

Last edited by PATRICE IN IL on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:09 pm

These ideas are for longer term power outages due to whatever reason such as weather incidents.

How about some baby wipes for washing/cleaning up with if you have a limited supply of fresh water?

Disposible plates, cups, bowls, utensils, aluminuim foil pans, rolls of aluminum foil to cook/eat with if water is scarce for washing dishes?

How about some hard candies, gum, mints, snacks, prepackaged cookies as a treat during an emergancy? Powdered drink mix flavor water?

A way to wash clothing/bedding by hand? How about a clothes line and clothes pins to hang laundry to dry inside or out?

An extra supply of vinegar, baking soda, peroxide etc. These things can be used for cleaning, personal hygiene as well as laundry aids.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 am

I think the baby wipes are a good idea. I've added them to other lists on other sites several times. I also think the idea of vinegar is a good one, it can be used in so many ways. One thing I'm bad about it finding neat ideas on line. I save the site, but I need to make sure I print out hard copies in case of power outages.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum