Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Wish I had found this before we put in our herb garden EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Wish I had found this before we put in our herb garden EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Wish I had found this before we put in our herb garden EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Wish I had found this before we put in our herb garden EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Wish I had found this before we put in our herb garden EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Wish I had found this before we put in our herb garden EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Wish I had found this before we put in our herb garden EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Wish I had found this before we put in our herb garden EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Wish I had found this before we put in our herb garden EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Sloppy  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

Wish I had found this before we put in our herb garden

Go down

Wish I had found this before we put in our herb garden Empty Wish I had found this before we put in our herb garden

Post by Sonshine on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:14 pm

http://www.herbcompanion.com/gardening/garden-spaces-plant-a-native-garden.aspx?utm_content=10.13.09+HBC&utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

Garden Spaces: Plant a Native Garden
Try these herbs, wildflowers and ornamental grasses for a difficult site.

October/November 2009 By Kathleen Halloran
Enlarge ImageImage GalleryClick on the IMAGE GALLERY for the planting key.
By Gayle Ford

Article Tools
Image GalleryPrintE-mailCommentsRSS • Design Plans: Native Strip Garden

RELATED CONTENT
Garden Spaces: Plans for a Native Strip Garden
Check out these these herbs for your native strip garden....

Native America's Pharmacy on the Prairie
For thousands of years, the native people of North America sustained life and health with plants fo...

Native Seeds/SEARCH
Native Seeds/SEARCH...

Herb Garden Design Plans: A 21st Century Healing Garden
Step outside your door and enter a tranquil sanctuary filled with healing herbs....
When I discover an undemanding plant that thrives in my toughest garden spots, I’m usually not surprised to learn how it comes by its easygoing nature: It’s a native.

The value of native plants is especially evident in difficult climates and in the most challenging areas of your landscape. I live in Texas, where extremes of heat, drought and wind challenge all life forms who dare call it home. But in all regions, native plants often can stand up to the worst you can throw at them. Many are tough, drought-tolerant, heat-resistant, cold-tolerant and low-maintenance—qualities that make them perfect for that patch of horticultural challenge known as The Hell Strip.

That’s the epithet given to the long, narrow strip sandwiched between the street and the sidewalk, usually a rectangle of grass or weeds. Subject to all manner of abuse, these neglected strips are hot and dry in summers, not only because they’re in full sun, but also because they pick up reflected heat from both sides.

Our low-growing garden strip combines native herbs, wildflowers and ornamental grasses for a tough but beautiful tapestry of color and texture. Once established, it will be more drought-tolerant than the turf grass it replaced. As a bonus, the variety of native plants attracts more butterflies, dragonflies, hummingbirds and other native wildlife than a boring strip of grass. You can use this native planting along the street or for any other difficult site, such as along a driveway.

Prepare the Site
Prepare the soil by removing any grass or weeds, roots and rocks, and digging in some compost. Generally speaking, native plants do fine in native soil, but compost will improve almost any soil’s texture, particularly if it’s compacted from constant trampling; your plants will do best in a soil that drains quickly but retains the water and nutrients they need, adding to their drought tolerance.

Just remember, the hard work of preparing a bed is always rewarded in the end. At this time (while preparing the bed), when you’re turning over the soil, add whatever other amendments your soil demands. If you’re uncertain about your soil, have a chat with a county extension agent in your area, or perhaps another gardener in the neighborhood.

Please click on the link for the full article and to see the pictures.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum