Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  Seasoning  Taco  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase

2 posters

Go down

Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase Empty Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase

Post by Sonshine Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:06 am

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/2001-12-01/Multipurpose-Growlight-Bookcase.aspx

No more hauling in your lights every spring, setting them up for a few weeks of seed-starting and then storing them the rest of the year. With Mother's Growlight Bookcase, your lights are ready whenever you need them-seed-starting in spring and fall, rooting summer cuttings of perennials and displaying flowering violets, orchids or other houseplants. Then when you don't need all the shelves and lights for growing plants, you can use the unit as a bookcase. (And what homestead can't use more bookshelves?) How-to books, healthy house plants and your favorite hot peppers will live happily together on Mother's Growlight Bookcase.

RELATED CONTENT
Better, Easy-to-Build, Energy-efficient Homes
Arial homes — small, durable, efficient and inexpensive — can be constructed in one day and can pro...

Seed Starting Secrets
By starting your own seedlings, though, you can pamper the seed as well as the plant, because you'l...

Seed-starting Basics
After the warmth of holiday gatherings and festivities, planning for spring comforts us in the cold...

Seed Starting as MOTHER's Gardeners Do It
Guide to seed preparation, including materials, oversow and undercover, moist and warm, start seeds...
I like to keep my carpentry projects as simple as possible, and you could build this one with just a handsaw and a hammer, if those were the only tools you had. Or just ask someone to cut the pieces for you. (If you do this, I recommend you buy the boards you need, bring them home and measure and mark all the cuts clearly, then take them back to the store or to a friend to be cut.)

The cuts will be cleaner if they're made with a power saw, and using screws and an electric drill will be easier and stronger than a hammer and nails. (If you don't already own a rechargeable electric drill, I highly recommend them. I almost never use a hammer now that I have a drill.) The curved cuts along the top trim and the bottom sides of the bookcase are optional. If you want to include them and have access to a saber saw or other way to cut them, they provide an attractive, ornamental touch.

To get started, first go to an electrical supply store and buy 4-foot, two-tube fluorescent light fixtures and quality cool-white or warm-white tubes. (You don't need to buy the much more expensive special lights designed for plants — the inexpensive standard tubes work fine.) Take this article with you to the store, so the clerk can help you choose the best fixture style. If you've never worked with light fixtures before, have them show you how the fixture comes apart, so you can attach the frame to the bookshelves. You may also want to pick up a timer that will turn the lights on and off at whatever times you specify. A timer costs only $10 or so — just plug it into the wall outlet, then plug the light fixture into it.

Once you have the fixtures, you can determine the length of your shelf, and how wide to make the valances (the boards that will cover the front of the fixtures). The shelves will have to be long enough to hold the fixtures, of course, but you can make them longer if you want, giving you more room for books even when the lighted section is being used for plants. You can also decide how high you want each shelf and whether you want just two shelves or maybe three or four.

For the rest of the article just follow the yellow brick road, oh, wait a minute, I mean, follow the link. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase Empty Re: Multi-purpose Growlight Bookcase

Post by Marie Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:19 am

neat idea!
Marie
Marie

http://www.triparoundsun.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down