Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Helloo one and all... EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Helloo one and all... EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Helloo one and all... EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Helloo one and all... EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Helloo one and all... EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Helloo one and all... EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Helloo one and all... EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Helloo one and all... EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Helloo one and all... EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Seasoning  Sloppy  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Helloo one and all...

4 posters

Go down

Helloo one and all... Empty Helloo one and all...

Post by MissKitty Sat May 09, 2009 1:09 am

Very Happy Greetings...I am MissKitty...aka as KatC...
I am a chickenholic...I love chickens...been acticve in raising them and taking care of them since I was alittle girl on my grandpas farm...When I finally got a farm of my own, first thing I did was get me some chickens...they was already a chicken pen and house here ...so I was one up...
You can read my history in "Introductions" andit might better tell you more about me...
I am no expert by any means but I have been studying chickens and enjoying them...you learn alot that way...
I got married last year to a wonderful man...he got hooked on chickens also...no telling how much we spent in baby bitties from the hatchery...Yes I have pictures..and will post them when Dwight gets up and around...We been in the garden and I been mowing grass since early morning....
We had a terrible time with our chickens we got a the hatchery...they grew up...seemed fine...next thing you know they would be listless one day and die the next...No symptoms...nothing...finally thought is might be a weakness in the chickens from hatch....I was ready to pull my hair out and felt so guilty not being able to do anything about it...Oh I also have guineas too...We have production reds...black Jersey Giants...one silver laced wyndotte....Buff orphingtons...black austrolarps...everything I have are brown egg layers...
I have got a new problem...they have gone to eating eggs...not a good problem to have...About the only thing you can do is to catch and remove the egg eaters...or gather the eggs very often...I want to get Dwight to build me one of the nest boxes where when the hen lays it goes underneath where it can't be reached...But you wold not believe the projects we have going...then again...maybe you would..lol..
I hope I can answer questions or help solve your chicken trails...and lets just "talk" chickens if you like...I will try and get some pics up here soon...oh I forgot to ask if that was okay...lol..Have a good day and enjoy every moment...it is truly a gift from God...MissKitty
MissKitty
MissKitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Helloo one and all... Empty Re: Helloo one and all...

Post by Sonshine Sat May 09, 2009 1:14 am

Pictures are fine. You just have to tell me how to do it once you figure it out. LOL
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKitty Sat May 09, 2009 1:16 am

Dwight will know.lol..he's a napping...MissKItty
MissKitty
MissKitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 Tue May 12, 2009 8:26 am

On egg eating that means they are not getting enough calcium or they are just bored. Crushed oyster shells help. I had this problem and the oyster shells helped tons. But I was told they can get bored and do it too.
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

http://waylandcook.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKitty Tue May 12, 2009 8:52 am

Yes...we dug out the oyster shell...and they free range over three acres...so don't keep them penned up...They have got a taste of eggs and love them...but the oyster shell will sure not hurt...Frequent trips to gather the eggs hopefully will deter their egg eating ways..lol...Thanks for the info...any and all impute welcomed and appreciated..-MissKitty
MissKitty
MissKitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Tue May 12, 2009 9:28 am

I've never given oyster shell. I save their eggshells and crush them up real fine with my meat mallet. So far I've been fortunate that they haven't tried to eat anything other than the shells I give them.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by adelia Wed May 13, 2009 10:41 am

I feed egg shells too Sonshine.

MissKitty- I am a crazy chicken lady too and I also 'caught it' from my grandfather. He had every type of poultry you can think of. I only have chickens, ducks, turkeys and quail. I am getting my first pheasants soon!!

adelia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum