Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
knitting/crocheting EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
knitting/crocheting EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
knitting/crocheting EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
knitting/crocheting EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
knitting/crocheting EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
knitting/crocheting EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
knitting/crocheting EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
knitting/crocheting EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
knitting/crocheting EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Sloppy  Taco  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

knitting/crocheting

+4
Mrs. Homesteader
squeezinby
Sonshine
CajunMom
8 posters

Go down

knitting/crocheting Empty knitting/crocheting

Post by CajunMom Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi!
Can someone please tell me the difference between knitting and crocheting? Which one should I start with? I have no idea what I would be doing but I want something to do with my hands when watching t.v. and waiting places. I once received a pair of pot holders as a thank-you gift from a house guest. I loved them and used them. One is now lost and the other is becoming ragged out so I was thinking about trying to make myself some new ones. Would this be a easy project to start with? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CajunMom

Back to top Go down

knitting/crocheting Empty Re: knitting/crocheting

Post by Sonshine Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:17 pm

I started with crocheting, but I think it's a matter of personal choice. With crocheting you use a hook and hold the yarn in your other hand, knitting of course uses 2 needles, sometimes more depending on how advanced you want to get. Then you have the knitting looms that I'm just now learning, but is relaxing to do. Hope that helps. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by squeezinby Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:56 am

Oh wow,sonshine, I just got a knitting loom last month. I haven't started anything on it yet. I've been so busy with so many other things. I think I might start something early fall. I don't like working with yarn in the summer time It's just tooooo hot here.
I started with crocheting too. It is a matter of choice. But I will tell you this,if you are going to make pot holders the cotton yarn is best,and double the square over.( make your fabric peice double the the size you want and fold it over and crochet it closed.)Oh, and don't for get that Cotton shrinks when you wash it the first time. I've used the acrylic yarns too but they melt and don't protect you from the heat as well.
squeezinby
squeezinby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:17 am

squeezinby wrote:Oh wow,sonshine, I just got a knitting loom last month. I haven't started anything on it yet. I've been so busy with so many other things. I think I might start something early fall. I don't like working with yarn in the summer time It's just tooooo hot here.
I started with crocheting too. It is a matter of choice. But I will tell you this,if you are going to make pot holders the cotton yarn is best,and double the square over.( make your fabric peice double the the size you want and fold it over and crochet it closed.)Oh, and don't for get that Cotton shrinks when you wash it the first time. I've used the acrylic yarns too but they melt and don't protect you from the heat as well.

Maybe when the weather cools down some we can work on a knitting loom project and compare notes. Smile Be thinking about what would be a good thing to start with. This could be fun! flower
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Homesteader Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:53 am

I would start with knitting. I learned to crochet early on and do it well. However, I want to knit and I am teaching myself. However, it is awkward with 2 needles. I think if you start with 2, then it would be easier to go to one.
Mrs. Homesteader
Mrs. Homesteader

http://amazinggrazefarm.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CajunMom Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:07 am

How do you teach yourself? I looked at some books last week and all they had was letters and numbers. Thanks Squeezinby for the info. on cotton yarn and doubling over. I would not have known this.

CajunMom

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Homesteader Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:37 am

They have little kits called teach yourself to knit. It has a very basic book that explains everything and comes with the knitting needles. There were lots of pictures. Then I found someone who knows how to knit and pick their brain from time to time.
Mrs. Homesteader
Mrs. Homesteader

http://amazinggrazefarm.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfulmama Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:24 am

When I taught myself to knit many years ago- I checked out every book from the library- learn to knit for dummies, kids books etc.. I pulled what I understood from each book and just dove in. I knit a sampler- just cast on and knit until I got the knit stitch right, then purl, then yarn overs etc.. No I knit socks, spin yarn, weave and crochet.
joyfulmama
joyfulmama

http://myvintagehome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:24 am

I love crocheting. Learned from a little elderly woman when I was in 4-H lots of years ago. It was a large group that would ride the bus to her house once a week and crochet. She had snacks and Kool-Aid. It was the greatest day of the week. I wish more kids were able to do these kind of activities today. Learned to crochet, knit, sew, cook, take care of livestock, etc. from my 4-H groups.

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:54 am

I can both knit and crochet. For me knitting was FAR easier to learn. I am still struggling with my crochet being either too tight or too loose.

I thing knitting was easier for me because I grew up riding horses. A rein in each hand transfers well to a knitting needle in each hand.

I taught myself as well from books and it was daunting. These days they have wonderful YouTube videos. That is where I would go to learn.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:31 am

As long as you ride 2 handed. Until I got Misty, I always necked reined. Laughing

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:29 am

Very true. I rode both English and Western and did a lot of training which is almost all two handed riding. I also drove horses.

Kind of hard to neck rein when you are driving. Laughing
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by EJOY Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:30 am

I don't know which I would recommend starting with. I know how to do both and learned as a young girl. You may be able to find on-line videos showing how to do either one. I enjoy doing hand work especially in the winter.
EJOY
EJOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:33 am

Both look very complicated at first.  Really there are only a few basic stitches in either knitting or crocheting.  It always amazed me how many different things you can make by simply how those basics are organized.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:47 am

I think it's just a matter of starting with either one until you get a basic understanding of it, then try the other.  I'm not real good at either, but I enjoy both and love making simple things for friends and family.  Recently I've been crocheting some baskets to put our soaps in to sell.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum