Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Hi from New York State...... EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Hi from New York State...... EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Hi from New York State...... EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Hi from New York State...... EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Hi from New York State...... EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Hi from New York State...... EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Hi from New York State...... EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Hi from New York State...... EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Hi from New York State...... EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Seasoning  Taco  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Hi from New York State......

4 posters

Go down

Hi from New York State...... Empty Hi from New York State......

Post by backtotheland Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:28 pm

Hello everyone. It's been a long time since I've been on here. I've moved several times since I was here last, had my youngest daughter get married and had a grand baby and have another one on the way. I left my job in 2011 because after the flood we experienced up here I needed part of my retirement money to help my kids and myself but they wouldn't give it to me unless I quit - so I quit. Well, a year later they asked me to come back again so I went back part-time because by the time they had called me back I was collecting Social Security Survivor's benefits and was restricted on how many hours I could work. Then almost a year ago they changed my status so since then I have been working almost full-time and gave up the Social Security.

Since 2011 I've lived in a tiny house, two mobile homes and finally landed where I am now. I lost a dear friend last fall and she gifted me a cow and calf pair. Well, the mobile home I was living in then was just the worse place I've ever lived so I gave up the cows and the dream of homesteading. I realized one day while walking down to the barn when I slipped (didn't fall) that God was showing me that farming was not where I was supposed to be. He showed me how vulnerable I would be if I tried to continue to do this alone. Soooo, I found a nice mobile home in a senior park, believe it or not, right across the creek from where that horrible trailer was. So, I gave the cow and calf to the young couple I was renting the mobile home from and moved at the end of March. God showed me that I can better help the local economy by buying from the local farmers instead of trying to be one. Beside, homesteading is a state of mind I think so that is where I am now.

I'm not planning on doing much, if any, gardening this year because I need to learn where the sun is because there are a lot of trees around my home. I'm still planning on doing a lot of canning, dehydrating and freezing this year but I will just have to buy at the farmer's market.

The only animal I have now is my little pug Sophie. I wish I could have found some place where I could have had chickens but it wasn't meant to be. I have a lovely enclosed porch and a nice little shed so I may ask the park owner if I could possibly get an angora rabbit. One of the things I want to get back in to is spinning again.

So that is where I'm at and I'm at peace with it. Sorry this was so long.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Hi from New York State...... Empty Re: Hi from New York State......

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:39 pm

Welcome back! I'm sorry about your losses, I hope that you can get a rabbit. It's funny how we want something but it's not what God wants for us and how long it takes for us to realize it.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:30 pm

Amen to that Patrice. Thank you for the warm welcome.

I'm just thinking about the rabbit right now. I'm not sure I want any animals at all. I do know that once my little Sophie is gone I will never get another dog. A cat maybe but not a dog.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:38 am

Good to see you again, backtotheland! Sorry your farming didn't work out, but as you said, homesteading is a state of mind. I felt that way when we had to give up our chickens.

A widow friend of ours lives in a house in town and has a tiny backyard. She grows anything and everything. . .figs, strawberries, flowers, and different herbs. She makes use of every inch. She uses up and wears out and is very creative and frugal. I think she's a better homesteader than we are!

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:59 am

I also agree. Homesteading is how you think, not where you live.

I am glad that you came back, so that I now have a chance to meet you. No matter where we have been in life it is important to have friends to support you and share with. I hope that I can become one of those friends.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:24 am

Thank you mountainmama for the warm welcome back.

Thank you Farmfresh. That was one of the biggest problems I ran into was not having a good support system. My kids think I've lost my mind and, since I work at home, I don't really have a lot of friends, especially those who are of the same mindset as myself. The one friend I had that was super supportive passed away in the fall and that made a bigger impact on me than I realized I think.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:45 am

backtotheland wrote: My kids think I've lost my mind

Well then you are in better shape than I am. My kids are CERTAIN that I lost mine ... a long time ago! Laughing

Jump in here with both feet. Everyone is so kind and supportive you are going to love it here.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:45 pm

That is one of the things I remember about this board, how welcoming and supportive everyone was. I have tried other forums in the past but none can compare to this one. I'm glad to be back.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum