Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Opinions needed EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Opinions needed EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Opinions needed EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Opinions needed EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Opinions needed EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Opinions needed EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Opinions needed EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Opinions needed EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Opinions needed EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  recipes  Sloppy  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Opinions needed

4 posters

Go down

Opinions needed Empty Opinions needed

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun May 04, 2014 11:58 pm

Do you plant flowers in your garden as well as edibles? If you do what are a few of your favorites?

In the past I've been focused on the edibles and orchard over the florals. I'm finding I really miss having flowers to cut to enjoy on the table and throughout the house. This year I'm trying to add a variety of flowers to the yard that will allow for beautifying my home as well as the yard.

So far I've added 5 new roses and 2 new clematis vines to the existing 2 clematis vines, and an existing lilac bush and 2 peony bushes. One of the peony bushes was dying out so I transplanted it last year to the front yard flower bed. It only has 1 single shoot coming up but I am hopeful that it will make a comeback. The other peony is at the back of my property and is getting rather large. I'm going to have to divide it and transplant some of it to the front yard. I'm thinking I might split the majority into two pieces and plant them opposite each other along the driveway and the edge of my property line with my neighbor. Really close to where I had the evergreen bushes taken out earlier this year.

I like the look of cottage gardens and may try to create a fence row of florals, minus the fence, across my front yard. My house is your everyday standard ranch on a slab. Do you think creating a living fence line would give the property more curb appeal?

Last edited by PATRICE IN IL on Mon May 05, 2014 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Opinions needed Empty Re: Opinions needed

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon May 05, 2014 12:33 am

I forgot to add that I have a Star magnolia anchoring one end of the flowerbed and a small lilac anchoring the other, closest to the front door.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Mon May 05, 2014 4:29 am

While I don't plant them in my vegetable garden, I love having flowers in front of my house. They add beauty, which is, IMO, food for the soul.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Mon May 05, 2014 8:38 am

I used to plant vegetables in my flower garden!  Many plants are beautiful and I am with dizzy - beauty is food for the soul!
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Mon May 05, 2014 8:44 am

well I'm gonna third that, flowers are food for the soul. If you take time to gaze at the beauty and enjoy the fragrance of each flower you will find a lot of stress just melts away.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon May 05, 2014 2:40 pm

That's kind of why I'm getting back into planting more flowers, to help with the stress levels around here. Wink

I'm just not sure at this point if I want to create a large bed across the front of my yard or not. I like the idea & look of a living fence row of flowers but dh is still insistant that he can mow the grass. His track record with the mower and any new plantings isn't so good for the plants. Sad

I guess I'll play it by ear for now and if I start finding free or really cheaply priced plants then I'll know it's meant to be. Wink

I'm thinking of a few plants in particular....the peonies, rhododendrons and azaleas.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Mon May 05, 2014 6:35 pm

sounds like a good place to start
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Mon May 05, 2014 6:41 pm

Rhododendrons and azaleas are great for a north exposure.  They do well in partial shade as well.  I have one azalea that was left in the weed bed in my front from when I was a kid.  I have moved it to the opposite end of the house where - hopefully - it will have better dirt and actually live.  At this point I am still not sure if the transplant killed it or not.  I need to give it a look see. 

I have a BUNCH of peonies at the old house.  I need to move a bunch here, but I am not quite sure where to put them yet.  They need decent sun and away from the house, because as you know peonies and ants go hand in hand. 

If you are not in a hurry I am willing to share some peonies for your start.  I have several colors.  They came from my Grandma Nettie's flower border.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon May 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks FF, I'm not in a hurry to get the flower project going just yet, so yes I'd be happy to have a few of your peonies. I have some light pink and the single shoot that came up from my magenta colored one I transplanted last year. I'd be happy to share some of the light pink one if you want some of it. Smile

As far as the area under consideration goes, it faces North and has full sun so the azaleas and rhododendrons should do very well there. I just need to make sure I plant them far enough back from the ditch as we are scheduled for sewer work in the Spring of 2016 and I don't want them killing my plants. Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum