Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Excited to get back into the rabbits EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Excited to get back into the rabbits EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Excited to get back into the rabbits EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Excited to get back into the rabbits EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Excited to get back into the rabbits EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Excited to get back into the rabbits EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Excited to get back into the rabbits EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Excited to get back into the rabbits EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Excited to get back into the rabbits EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  Seasoning  Taco  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Excited to get back into the rabbits

3 posters

Go down

Excited to get back into the rabbits Empty Excited to get back into the rabbits

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:39 am

We had rabbits for about 6 years and enjoyed them but when we bought our cabin we had only solar elec. We had our barn open but no air. A few years ago we had record high temps. for our area and even with frozen bottles and lots of water we still lost a few so I decided I didn't want to take that chance another year. We now bought a home with a nice barn and elec. I am excited to get back into a few meat rabbits. I really enjoy them.

We even went to a few rabbit shows. Before it was over the judge had me behind the table helping him keep records. I think he knew we were ready and willing to learn all we could. It helped us a lot in what to look for.

Back to top Go down

Excited to get back into the rabbits Empty Re: Excited to get back into the rabbits

Post by Rohn Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:14 am

Rabbits are fun and can be a good source of meat. My daughter has a couple of Polish rabbits and a couple of times a year she lets mamma raise a family. So far we have had about 50% success with keeping the babies alive.
These rabbits are not meat rabbits since they are just small. They are enjoyable pets though.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Excited to get back into the rabbits Empty Re: Excited to get back into the rabbits

Post by dizzy Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:44 am

I'm not ready to raise them for meat. I've had pet rabbits for most of my life, so it's a bit difficult for me to go from pets to food. It's still hard for me to do do in my extra roosters, and I don't get the same attachment to them!

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:22 am

Rabbit was our main homestead meat when the kids were little. As you all know we lived in the city and we raised the meat rabbits in the garage. Three does and a buck kept the freezer full and we had three kids!

Now I am considering whether or not to get rabbits once more. I have been getting them from my neighbor friend who raises show rabbits. We get her culls. Still it would be nice to have some more, now that we have more space.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:23 am

I understand Dizzy. We started out raising lionheads and mini lops just to sell for kids in the 4-H programs. I then got talked into California Whites for meat. My kids still won't eat them. When we butcher both rabbits and chickens I kind of have to seperate from myself. I know makes me sound a little crazy but maybe I should say I just have to not think at all during the process. Once in the freezer I am good again to go on with things. DH and I actually have had some indepth conversations about this. We take good care of all of our livestock up until butcher time. They are here on the farm for a purpose and that is what I have to remind myself of sometimes. It's hard to believe I have been a farm/ranch kid my whole life and very rarely ate any meat not home raised but it doesn't make it any easier.

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:27 am

I understand. I know I have a greater appreciation and respect for the animals that I've raised myself than for anything that comes from the supermarket.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum