Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b? EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b? EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b? EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b? EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Sloppy  Taco  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b?

3 posters

Go down

Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b? Empty Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b?

Post by 2wFarm Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:39 am

is it too late to plant rye garss seed?

I am in zne 8b and we have had a wierd winter...just last week temps in teens at night, 20-30s in day....brrrr.

is it too late for me to get some rye grass seed started for brouse for the goats?
I have never used/planted rye grass seed and really am not a Texan, so not sure how schedules go here.

I want to know if it's too late to get it going for a short brouse session each day?

If I can do it...what is necessary? Prep? Water? Additions?
I thought to toss it in with the regular dormant grasses. But I do have a dirt/weedy paddock we use for brush/weed brouse.

If anyoneis experienced in this..I need a lesson.
Thanks Smile

2wFarm

Back to top Go down

Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b? Empty Re: Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b?

Post by 12acrehome Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:03 am

My experience with Rye grasses / grains is limited to zone 6 (b) and uses for cattle and simple lawn grasses and used for humus and mulch.

The short answer is it may be too much like a grain feed to be healthy for goats, and winter rye, like winter wheat needs to be sown (here) in time to start to grow before a killing frost / freeze.

So here's a few questions for you to consider.

If sown, and you experience a total crop failure, would you experience any financial harm from the loss? If no, try it.

If sown, and the goats like it, and it becomes a mainstay of their diet, will this harm the goats? (Likely not, but goats do need more brush and woody growth than grains, so balance the planting carefully IMO)

As for how to plant, I simply broadcast over existing stubble and let the rains and snows do the planting and usually see 70% or more growth.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b? Empty Re: Q: too late to plant rye grass seed in Zone 8b?

Post by 2wFarm Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:50 am

we shouldn't have any more freezes I hope...but that polar cap blast , last week, froze us good. Since there will be no freezes, will it germinate and grow? I have the vet coming tomorrowto do ultrasounds on the doe's...will ask about green rye grass pasture. Also, how long does it have to grow for, before I can turn them out on it?

2wFarm

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:13 am

The easy question first, we let newly seeded pasture grasses grow to 6 inches (sometimes 8 inches) before letting cattle graze that field. So depending on the size of the area, and the size of the herd I'd say at a minimum you'd want 4 inches of growth.

It needs a soil temp of about 50 degrees F to germinate, and grows best with soil temps between 55 and 65 degrees (once mature it will grow in higher temps too) If you're planting a winter Rye it will grow slowly at first, and may not thrive without enough "chill hours" to produce good growth for pasture.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lanichiii Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:35 pm

I've read that the first 4" of grass is the hardest to grow back so it's best to not let animals graze on it below 4". Not only will it grow back faster, but it helps with parasites if you keep grass above 4". I can't find the exact link, but I think it was on sheepandgoat.com.

Lanichiii

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:57 pm

can't claim to have read it anywhere, but the 4 inches sticks in my mind as a minimum...thanks Lanichili
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lanichiii Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:14 pm

No problem. By the way, my real name's Will. I used the Lanichiii handle because that's my e-mail address and what I use for nearly everything so I don't have to remember different sign-on names for different sites.

Lanichiii

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:25 pm

A pleasure Will, my name's Keith
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum