Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
What would you do? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
What would you do? EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
What would you do? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
What would you do? EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
What would you do? EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
What would you do? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
What would you do? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
What would you do? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
What would you do? EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Taco  Sloppy  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

What would you do?

4 posters

Go down

What would you do? Empty What would you do?

Post by gramaki Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:46 am

We just got back into having equines in the last year.  We have two mini donkeys and two mini horses.  DH has been so interested in getting the barns fixed up and repaired.  This summer he put in lots of fencing so that we have four small pastures which are connected by gates.  He also built pens and a loft in the barn for hay.  He absolutely loves taking care of the animals and being out there with them, and they don't require daily maintenance as far as milking or birthing so it's working out well.

Our farrier has told us about a horse situation that she is concerned about and would like us to take in a 12 year old Welsh brood mare that the owners don't want any more.  The owners have other horses and seem to have moved on.  The mare has a weaned filly that they were going to keep.  But it turns out another of their horses had a foal so now they want to get rid of both the Welsh and her filly.

They also breed pot bellied pigs and they are being kept in less than suitable outdoor conditions.  My heart just goes out to all these animals.   They also breed goats and dogs but they seem less of a concern.

DH has good days and bad days.  He feels really good in the summer, but can't deal with this cold weather, he's inside most of the time.

So we have a decision to make - possibly take in the Welsh mare (our farrier might want to take her filly).  And we'd have indoor space for a couple of the potbelly pigs, which we know nothing about other than what I read online last night.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by gramaki on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cross posted in the Pig folder)
gramaki
gramaki

Back to top Go down

What would you do? Empty Re: What would you do?

Post by Rohn Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:13 am

If I were you I would be tempted to take the Welsh mare and her filly. I probably wouldn't take the pot bellied pigs.

It is to bad people don't take care of animals that they have.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:37 am

A lot depends on the amount of acreage you have and the funds you have for caring for the animals.

Sadly right now that situation with the Welsh mare and her foal is chronic. There are SO SO many animals, and especially horses, right now that are out there needing homes and people to care for them. Good well broke registered horses are being given away because their owners can no longer afford them.

Ponies are usually pretty tough. I love ponies most of all because of this trait, but they will still require space to graze, a round bale, vet care and the services of that farrier.

I understand where your DH is coming from. I have bad arthritis and some days it is all I can do to take care of myself. You do have to consider that when you are planning on taking in more animals.

The mini-pigs on the other hand I would probably take. If they do not fit in well at your homestead the sausage could certainly fit in well in the freezer.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:30 am

Personally, I wouldn't take the pigs-unless you were going to use them for food.

As for the ponies, the one thing that I would be concerned about at this time of year is getting enough hay for the winter. Plus, what would you do w/them? Would they just be pasture puffs or would you ride them?

I've lost count of the number of free horses I've turned down over the years. And some have been horses I wouldn't mind owning. But, I know that I could not care for one more. If anything were to happen to either Licorice or Stormy, I would not get another horse until I get my own farm.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by gramaki Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:14 am

Well, we've been thinking about it.. I got the phone number from the farrier and called a couple of days ago.  Last night the owner called, she is very guarded so it was a very careful conversation on both sides.  We are going to go and look at the horse this weekend, but she says she wants to keep the filly for awhile yet and work with it.  She said she tends to be a "hoarder" and has too many animals right now.  I think we'll just see how it goes, if it's meant to be it will be.   We have a lot of hay stored in the barn, we have acreage.. one more might not be a problem as long as it's relatively easy to handle.

The pigs are pretty much out of the question, they would require too much care.. and using them for food is not going to happen either.. DH hates doing anything like that.   He just loves seeing his "herd" out there - stems from early childhood I think!

Thank you for all of your responses, you know the reality of taking care of animals - the good and the bad..  I will keep you posted.
gramaki
gramaki

Back to top Go down

Post by gramaki Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:16 am

We picked up the mare yesterday, she is a doll and very shy.. 15 years old but hasn't been messed with very much, even by the owners prior to this one.. she gave me a printout. Tends to have a calm temperament it said. I'm just glad she's here. I don't really even want to talk about the conditions she came from. It's very upsetting, didn't sleep too well last night.
gramaki
gramaki

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum