Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Freezing sweet corn EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Freezing sweet corn EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Freezing sweet corn EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Freezing sweet corn EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Freezing sweet corn EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Freezing sweet corn EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Freezing sweet corn EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Freezing sweet corn EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Freezing sweet corn EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Freezing sweet corn

5 posters

Go down

Freezing sweet corn Empty Freezing sweet corn

Post by 12acrehome Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:00 am

Mom came over Sunday and finally shared her secret to preserving sweet corn in the freezer.  It is so easy.  The most important thing to remember is to pick and preserve the same day, to retain as much of the natural sugars and flavor as possible.

Cut the corn off the ear, put 4 cups in a covered dish into the microwave for 4 minutes (two minutes+stir+2 minutes) stir about half way through. Remove the corn from the hot dish, putting it into a dish that is in ice water. Stir to cool as quickly as possible.  Place cooled corn in freezer bags. (we used quart sized bags, but only put 1 1/2 to 2 cups of corn in each bag) Get all the air out, and make the bags as flat as possible, so the corn will freeze quickly.

Kept in a "deep freezer" (0 degrees F or colder) it will stay fresh tasting and sweet for up to 8 months

We put up 45 bags for the two of us to share Smile
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Freezing sweet corn Empty Re: Freezing sweet corn

Post by Joshie Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:15 am

We did a bunch of freezer corn ourselves. We eat it up pretty quickly but I found some at the bottom of the freezer. It was about two years old and tasted as good as it did at the beginning. Our neighbor picks corn in the morning and we have it put it up by mid-afternoon. This year was a lot easier and cooler than usual because our neighbor let us borrow his turkey fryer. This allowed us to blanch the corn outside.

After husking and removing silk, blanch ears for six minutes then shock it in ice water for seven. Remove corn from husk. We freeze it by the quart. We put four cups of corn in a freezer bag then add a brine of 1T sugar and 1t salt dissolved in one cup of water.

I always take freezer corn to family functions because my family swears it's the best corn they've ever tasted.

Joshie

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:22 am

Sounds yummy, I didn't put any corn up this year. Sad
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:44 pm

never thought about adding sugar at the time of freezing...I have added corn syrup (Kayro brand) when re-heating if it does not stay sweet enough.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Most of the time we get our sweet corn at the Farmers Market.  I have never had space enough to grow enough to feed us for the year any other way.  

I have always heard that you should think of sweet corn like a ticking bomb. As soon as the corn is picked the sugar begins to convert to starch.  The faster you can get it from plant to boiling water the more sweetness you retain.  That means the best way to eat it is to follow the old recipe which says - "Bring your salted water up to a rolling boil and then go out and pick your corn!"  Very Happy 

Following this recipe means that I buy only corn I KNOW is fresh picked.  Some of our farmers pick it in the dark on the day of market!  Then I literally race home, shuck it and into the boiling water pot.  

I always cut it from the cob AFTER it has been boiled to stop the sugar loss.  Then it is packed in 2 quart Ziploc freezer bags in 2 or 3 cup portions.  I squeeze out the air and freeze the labeled bags flat before "filing" them standing upright in the freezer basket.  Storing them like standing files makes for easy retrieval and easy rotation of freezer stock.  

This is a shot of my veggie freezer I took some time ago.  The tomatoes are freezing and awaiting their turn into making sauce.  

Freezing sweet corn Veg%20freezer%202a

to be fair here is a quick peek into the meat freezer as well.
Freezing sweet corn Meat%20freezer%202a
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:38 pm

I've heard of people freezing corn on the cob w/out blanching it first. I wanted to try that this year, but didn't have the time to get any. And, it's too late now. I can't stand the taste of frozen corn on the cob that's been blanched, then frozen. IMO, it taste nasty.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:50 pm

I have tried that before and I think the corn tastes like cardboard. I much prefer blanching. I think some of the corn with bad flavor comes more from how old the corn was rather that being on or off of the cob. I have had blanched on cob corn that tastes good, but I don't think it stores as well on the cob. It gets more dried out.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:13 am

we've never been satisfied with corn stored on the cob for more than a month or maybe 6 weeks. Cutting it off the cob it seems to keep well enough for 3 months...we usually have it all eaten in that time Very Happy
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Plus storing it on the cob takes up so much freezer space. Each cob usually holds around 1/2 cup of corn, in my experience. That means that each of my little flat quart bags holds the same corn as 4 or 5 corn cobs.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum