Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Garden of Weedin' EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Garden of Weedin' EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Garden of Weedin' EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Garden of Weedin' EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Garden of Weedin' EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Garden of Weedin' EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Garden of Weedin' EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Garden of Weedin' EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Garden of Weedin' EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Garden of Weedin'

+2
PATRICE IN IL
Sonshine
6 posters

Go down

Garden of Weedin' Empty Garden of Weedin'

Post by Sonshine Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

With all the rain we've been having the weeds are way out of control. According to the weather forecast we might get a couple of days rain free though, so I'm hoping to get some of the weeding caught up. How's everyone else's gardens doing?
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Garden of Weedin' Empty Re: Garden of Weedin'

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:44 am

It's been so dry up here, I've had to water the garden to get it produce anything. I'm so excited, I've got 2 tomatoes that should be ripe within the next day or two!!! Smile Homemade BLTs will be on the menu very soon. Very Happy I also picked my first cucumber tonight and found a few more small ones to keep an eye on.

I lost all my broccoli to the slugs and most of my green cabbage to caterpillars. I'll be starting more from seeds this week for my Fall garden and hope to eradicate the pests with some wood ashes
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:50 am

Joe and I have been planning out our fall garden. I'm upset that our corn is not doing well, but looks like we'll have a good crop of green beans, purple hull peas, tomatoes, summer squash, okra and brussel sprouts. We already harvested our carrots and didn't do too bad. I wish we had planted more beets, but will plant more for our fall crop, as well as more carrots. So far the only things I've been unhappy with was our cabbage, sweet peas and corn. The first two we didn't get much from because it got too hot too early, then the weather turned and got cooler. Been really weird weather around here this year. In May we experienced weather we usually get in July, now in July we're getting May weather. It's got me scratching my head trying to figure out how to grow things with the weather so crazy. Oh, forgot to post that we got a few peaches off our tree this year. First year. We only got 5 peaches, but they were so sweet and juicy. Our blueberries have been doing good too. Strawberries, not so much. Slugs got them. We managed to get a few blackberries and mulberries before the birds got them, but wish we had gotten more.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:06 am

I've been getting green beans, zucchini and quite a few sugar snap peas. I don't know if we'll get any cauliflower or Brussels sprouts as I'm dealing with the slugs, snails, and cabbage moths/caterpillars.

My bell peppers are nonexistent, and my carrots will be hit or miss. I got them started late and sowed dill with them BEFORE I checked to see if they are good companion plants, which they are NOT. Oh well there's always next year.

My apple trees are loaded and my peach has a good amount of fruit on it, now we just have to wait for them to mature.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:04 pm

I forgot to mention our peppers. Our bell peppers are just now starting to put on, but we've been getting jalepenos, cayenne and banana peppers.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:47 pm

I got a rock

(charlie brown halloween special)

seriously though, nothing but weeds and two squash plants that need desperately to be weeded
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by carla Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:42 pm

We only have one small tomato and one pea pod as of now. Not doing very well, but I thought we had lost the entire garden so to be able to save these I guess is better than nothing.

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Keith collect a few more Charlie Brown specials and you'll have yourself a nice maintenance free rock garden. j/k lol

Hang in there Carla Smile
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:09 pm

We are battling squash vine borers here.

D2 had beautiful zucchini that were producing well and then the borers attacked. We split the vines open, plucked out the borers and filled the wound with Vaseline then buried the injured part of the vine. I think we may have saved a few. ??

We also went over all of our plants and removed any evidence of eggs. That took a while.

In other garden news we have had so much rain things are showing evidence of mineral deficiency. Leaves are yellowing. Tomatoes are slow this year and some are just now starting to bloom. Okra is growing slow. Peaches are few and far between, but should be finishing up this week. Grapes are plenty, but some are getting mold.

When I look out the window by where I am sitting right now I can see three pink beefsteak tomatoes in my container pots that are ready to pick!! Looks like BLT's for dinner tonight. Smile 
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:37 pm

FF, I know what you mean about the plants yellowing. My cucumbers are just about gone because of all the rain. Fortunately they put on a lot for us to harvest before the leaves started yellowing. Our tomatoes are doing the same thing, the leaves are yellowing and the tomatoes themselves are splitting. We're managing to save some by picking them a little early and letting them finish ripening in the window. Our main thing though is the weeds. We can't keep up with them because it's raining every day. I try to get out there between down pours to harvest what I can, but can't keep up with the weeds. It's to the point that I have to decide on whether to harvesst or weed because we're not getting enough dry time to do both.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:51 pm

I treated mine with some Epsom salts.  I hope that helps.  

I use a LOT of mulch.  I have to.  Physically I simply can not hoe and if I weed it has to be like once a year.  My routine is to plant, let them get established weeds and all and then I weed carefully by hand each bed one time and mulch heavily.  That usually holds it for the rest of the year.

BTW I prefer to weed WHILE it is raining. It keeps me cool and the weeds come out a treat. I just get my little garden cart (we call it the Scooty Puff from an episode of Futurama) and go barefoot in the mud. Very Happy 
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:34 am

mine stayed too wet to do anything with until this week, unless family issues caused me to miss a window or two
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:26 am

Plenty of weeds here too. They have taken over my garden. It usually is hard for us in out garden since we spend several weeks away at Camps during the summer. The wet weather this year has really contributed to the weed growth.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:23 am

FF, I wouldn't mind weeding in the rain, but we've been getting the thunder and lightening with the rain. I have a healthy respect for lightening because I have seen first hand the devastation it can cause.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:47 am

Mee too. Lightening struck a tree beside out house when I was a teen. It was pretty scary.

No I just weed in gentle rains .. no lightening.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down