» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds
Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:46 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

What is in the incubator!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is in the incubator!

Post by Harvey_Birdman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:33 am

Most years my uncle (Tommy) buys a bunch of eggs, hatches them out, and sells the chicks. Well, this year his egg supplier dropped out on him, so he had both his incubator empty. I was at his house last week, and told him I was looking into getting an incubator. He said for me to collect some eggs, and he would do all I wanted up to 288. I went to my cousin (Don) and asked him to collect me some eggs. In about 8 days I had 30 Dommers, 42 Banties, and 1 Silky. Hopfully I will have a good hatch. I went to Lowes this week, and bought the supplies to build a lot for the Dommers. It will 12'x12' with a 4'x6' hen house. Total cost around $80. I will post pix/video when I get it built. (It is too much to try to explain in type.)

I will let the Banties run free to keep the bugs down. I haven't decided what to do with the silky yet if it hatches.

So that is my story, and what I've got brewing, lets hear about yours!

God bless,
Chad

P.S. If you don't incubate tell us about the chicks you bought/ are going to buy! Very Happy
Harvey_Birdman

http://homesteadingpreacherman.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: What is in the incubator!

Post by Sonshine on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:20 am

We don't incubate. We've got 8 Buff Orpington hens and one Buff Orpington Rooster and let them hatch out their own. However, we wanted to keep 12 hens, but gave a couple to our neighbor and lost one that developed a tumor, so we recently bought 4 Marans hens that were 3 months old. We just put them in the coop with the Buffs and they seem to have adapted quite well. We weren't sure how our other hens would do with them, but had no need to worry, because the Marans had the Buffs running away from them. Now they have all settled back into a normal routine.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Admin

http://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvey_Birdman on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Well out of 73 eggs I had 52 hatch. I have already lost 1, but the rest look good so far. I haven't yet counted to see how many are dommers and how many are bantys. The silky didn't hatch.

My camera broke so I don't have any pix yet, but I will keep you posted.

God bless,
Chad
Harvey_Birdman

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:49 pm

I haven't even had time to do more than THINK about putting eggs in the bator. Plus, I've never had much luck. I'm going to try one last time, but it won't be until later this month.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:27 pm

Harvey_Birdman wrote:Well out of 73 eggs I had 52 hatch. I have already lost 1, but the rest look good so far. I haven't yet counted to see how many are dommers and how many are bantys. The silky didn't hatch.

My camera broke so I don't have any pix yet, but I will keep you posted.

God bless,
Chad

I think that is pretty good to get that many to hatch. I used an incubator one year and got about 50%. I always raided Buff Orpingtons, although I had a few others from time to time. We used to have two banty roosters that got along well with each other. One was black and the other red. They had the run of the place and were always together. That was many years ago. Where we now live I can't have chickens but I enjoy the memories of when I did and hopefully someday I'll be able to have them again. We saw the peeps at Tractor Supply a few days ago and it sure was tempting to get a few but I just don't have room here.
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvey_Birdman on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:03 am

Yeah, my bantys will be free range. We live next to the river, so bugs are a big issue. I like to keep some freee range chickens to keep them down. I will be putting the dommers, and a couple of the banty hens for setting, in a coop.

I was very suprized with the number of dommers that hatched, I counted about 20 today. They are pure stock, and I hear that the hatch rate on pure stok can be bad. 2/3 is great, at least in my eyes. I have 2 americana roos that I plan to put in with the dommers so I will mave a mixed bred for next years hatch. Both breeds are big stock, and good layers so I hope it will make a good breed.

God bless,
Chad
Harvey_Birdman

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama on Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 am

Hatching eggs never gets old for me. The awesomeness of a new little life is so exciting!

We currently have eggs due to hatch next week. Funny thing--I wanted to put in about a dozen, but the kiddos kept adding more eggs for a couple of days. I finally figured out there were lots more than one dozen in there and counted them. We have 40 eggs. 40! If all those hatch, my dh will clobber me because he'll have to build another coop and pen.

Today I noticed several of the eggs are no longer laying "flat" as the chicks are getting into hatching position. I went ahead and turned them, as it's not day 18 yet, but it makes me wonder if some will hatch early.

These babies will be mixed. The daddy is a light Brahma/Copper Marans/Australorpe/Americauna mix. The mamas are pure Golden Campine, Buff Orpington, and Brahma hens. We really wanted to get babies from the Golden Campines especially. These chicks will be tinted egg layers.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Wed May 01, 2013 10:18 am

mountainmama, sounds like you're going to have to get your dh to build you that coop and pen. Smile That's a good problem to have.

Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama on Sat May 04, 2013 10:00 am

Sonshine, I've already been informed not to bring home any more critters. So, technically, I didn't bring any home as the chickens were ALREADY here. I just put their eggs in the 'bator. Hehe.

We watched a youtube video with chicks peeping, and several eggs in the incubator started wobbling in response. So neat!

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Sat May 04, 2013 11:25 am

I love the babies. Smile One of my dogs loves them too. I think she thinks of them as her pups. She's got every chicken in the coop to bring table scraps over to her. It's funny in a way, but not so funny when it upsets her tummy. Smile

Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama on Mon May 06, 2013 9:28 pm

That is hilarious. Our dog had her head hanging over the brooder half the morning, watching the babies. Last night she ran to the incubator and we had to hold her up to see some hatch.

Out of 40 eggs, 18 have hatched. I helped number 19 out of the shell and we'll see if she lives or not. One chick tried to hatch backwards and died. Two other eggs are pipped but I think they dried out and died as well, but as they pipped last night, I'm leaving them in the incubator. Today is hatch day, but most hatched yesterday and overnight.

For a still air incubator with no device to read the moisture content, I'm glad to have a 50% hatch rate so far. If the incubator hadn't been so crowded, with the chicks kicking around all the pipped eggs, I could have kept it closed and maybe got a few more to hatch.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Tue May 07, 2013 8:42 am

I've never had much luck w/the incubator. A friend had a broody hen, and wanted to know if I wanted to put some eggs under her. Since I've been wondering whether or not my rooster had a problem, I decided to put 4 under her.

Out of those 4, 2 developed partway, but didn't survive to hatch. 1 got halfway out, then died. And, 1 hatched out! She also had 1 hatch out. She wasn't sure which was which, but I did. Mine has darker legs because of the breed it is. Now I just need to see if I have a cock or a pullet. (I'm hoping for a pullet cuz I don't know if I could bear to eat it if it's a cock.)

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama on Wed May 08, 2013 2:27 am

Well, I guess lifting the lid to get out the chicks didn't do as much damage as I thought. We're up to 27 chicks now and another one is trying to hatch. We're really pleased!

The chick I had to help is doing well. She's weak, but can walk around now. I think she'll make it.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Wed May 08, 2013 11:57 am

dizzy wrote:I've never had much luck w/the incubator. A friend had a broody hen, and wanted to know if I wanted to put some eggs under her. Since I've been wondering whether or not my rooster had a problem, I decided to put 4 under her.

Out of those 4, 2 developed partway, but didn't survive to hatch. 1 got halfway out, then died. And, 1 hatched out! She also had 1 hatch out. She wasn't sure which was which, but I did. Mine has darker legs because of the breed it is. Now I just need to see if I have a cock or a pullet. (I'm hoping for a pullet cuz I don't know if I could bear to eat it if it's a cock.)

I'll never forget the first time we butchered a bird. I had to make myself eat it. I wasn't sure if I would be able to eat something we had raised and butchered, and I struggled with that first one, but now I don't have any qualms. Smile

Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Wed May 08, 2013 5:56 pm

I've butchered and eaten birds that I've raised B4, but w/all the struggles that I've had to even get any chicks, this one is different. I lost my broody to a predator, and none of my current birds show any inclination to sit.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum