Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Thank you for letting me join this forum. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Thank you for letting me join this forum. - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Thank you for letting me join this forum. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Thank you for letting me join this forum. - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Thank you for letting me join this forum. - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Thank you for letting me join this forum. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Thank you for letting me join this forum. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Thank you for letting me join this forum. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Thank you for letting me join this forum. - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Seasoning  Taco  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Thank you for letting me join this forum.

+3
dizzy
Rohn
carla
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Thank you for letting me join this forum. - Page 2 Empty Re: Thank you for letting me join this forum.

Post by Sonshine Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:01 am

The way I've always hardened them off was by placing them outside for the daylight hours, as long as it was a nice day, and bringing them back inside at night. After about a week of doing this I'll get them in the ground.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Thank you for letting me join this forum. - Page 2 Empty Re: Thank you for letting me join this forum.

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:38 am

I've had problems in the past when I've set them out all day long from the start, they couldn't tolerate the temperature/brighter light changes. I've found increasing the hours daily worked better for me.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carla Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:17 pm

OK I am feeling a bit discouraged this AM. Just had 2 people in my home town tell me it's to late to start with seedling and that I need to get the plants.
One of these ladies does a container garden. They said I should have started seedlings early March. Needing much prayer this AM! I don't want to get overwhelmed with this I just want to be able to provide for my family when times get rough and I think we all beleive this is going to happen sooner rather than later. Because all the sign in the Bible are becoming reality.
All I can do at this point is go ahead and start the seedlings and put the rest of it in God's hands. I believe he will reward us for our efforts. Wow! just taped myself out of being diiscouraged and encouraged myself. LOL God is good!!! Thank you all for letting me rant.

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:33 am

Carla, I wouldn't worry about getting a late start. Remember, those who plant regular gardens can't get them started till the ground is warm enough and they always seem to manage.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:35 am

Don't worry Carla, it's not too late. Our weather pattern has been changing over the past several years, it has been taking longer to warm up in the Spring and staying warmer longer in the Fall. It may take a bit longer for your plants to mature but they'll still be growing fine and producing throughout the summer and Fall.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Carla, I live farther south than you, and because my peppers failed to germinate, and my eggplants disappeared, I'm going to be retrying them.

The main thing they need is warmth and water, and once they've come up, enough light. Putting them in a window may not work since many windows are now made in such a way that they block certain light and you'll end up w/leggy plants. If you don't have a protected place to put them outside, get a regular florescent tube light, and use that. It shouldn't be too high above the plants.

I can't really say when you can plant stuff outside, or even start things inside. You're in a different hardiness zone than I am, so things that I can start now, you can't. Below is a link to a US hardiness zone map. If you don't already know what hardiness zone you're in, find out. That will help you figure out when you can plant things outside.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 pm

here is a link to that map Dizzy mentioned.

http://www.arborday.org/media/zones.cfm

12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:18 am

Thanks. Forgot to add it.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:46 pm

you're welcome
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carla Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Thanks again for all the info. You guys are great! flower

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:14 pm

by the way Carla, there is no need to thank anyone for allowing you to join our loose knit group. As the charter states all are welcome here.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 pm

12acrehome wrote:by the way Carla, there is no need to thank anyone for allowing you to join our loose knit group. As the charter states all are welcome here.

Well put 12acrehome. I am just glad she has finally found the time to join us. Carla's my Aunt, but unfortunately we don't get the chance to see one another since she still lives in Illinois, and she works so many hours it's hard for us to even have much phone contact. So I have another reason to be glad she joined, I can have closer contact with her. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carla Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 am

Aww sonshine I love you so much!! Thank you ladies, I am finding this forum very helpful and it's a blessing to be part of it. cheers

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:11 am

I love you too Carla and sure do miss you. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carla Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:48 pm

Been very busy, here's my update: 48 cups with tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, squash seeds. I think that's all. We made this a family event with the 4 grandblessings putting their own name & kind of seed they were planting on the cups. It was fun watching them get so excited about this.
I'm praying we all have a great harvest. Very Happy

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:34 pm

It's good that you're getting them involved and that they're excited. I know when I was a kid, my parents used to let me have my own little garden. I think that's why I still have a garden today. My own kids, however, were never really interested in it. Crying or Very sad

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Sounds like a good start. Smile I'm glad the grandbabies are excited about helping.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:14 pm

The three things I am most thankful for my Father and Grandfather showing me (or rather teaching through example) are how to grow food from seeds, how to harvest meat from the woods and water, and how to combine these things into a meal.

They will remember these lessons into adulthood, and have fond memories of growing things.

12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carla Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 am

Text I got from my daughter, Kristin today. Cucumbers and herbs have all sprouted. One carrot, two rutgers and several beefsteaks are up.
We are all so excited and can't wait till we can transplant them into the buckets! I never knew how much fun this could be. Trying to supply for our families and having fun doing it, what more could a person ask for. I'm so thankful for all the advice you all have given me.

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:28 am

That's great. I'm going to try to get Joe to get some pictures of our garden. What herbs did you plant?
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carla Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:28 am

I didn't plant any herbs, but Kristin did, I'm not sure what ones she did. She took a picture of the cucumber plant, but I don't know how to post pictures. I'm not very computer savy. I can do enough to do my job but that's the same thing all the time, as far as pictures I'm lost.

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama Wed May 01, 2013 8:05 am

Don't feel bad, Carla. I'm a complete dummy when it comes to tech stuff like posting pics. Shoot, I have to ask my 16 yo dd how to text on my cell phone! LOL!

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Wed May 01, 2013 10:06 am

Carla, it's my forum and I don't know how to post pictures either. LOL Joe promised to post some of our veggie garden as well as have pictures of our herb garden as we work on it. So far we've got the herb garden tilled and have a few plants in it. I'm not just doing herbs in it, but want to add some aromatics too. Joe will be doing a water feature, an arbor, a bench and a bench swing, so it's a major project. We started working on laying out the walkway today. I'm really excited about it and hope it'll be a source of beauty for years to come. Mainly what we're putting in this herb garden are medicinal herbs. Right now we have foxglove, borage, calendula, nastirium, marigolds and butterfly bushes. We have luffa and morning glories planted next to some lattice. We'll be planing honeysuckle by the arbor and plan on two more pieces of lattice for jasmine and something else that I can't remember right now. I have feverfew, valerian, chamolmile and a couple of other herbs ready to plant as soon as Joe gets the path finished. We also have a tower planter in the center filled with strawberries.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carla Wed May 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Sonshine I cracked up laughing when I read this because I have never even heard of most the herbs you are planting. I found out Kristin is doing dill, parsley, rosemary and she couldn't remember what the last one is. IDK if she thinks these are ones she will use the most or why she chose the ones she did.

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by carla Wed May 01, 2013 1:53 pm

Mountainmama my middle daughter lives with us as she is a full time nursing student and working part time, She gets so annoyed with me & the computer questions. She says she has to tell me over and over again how to do things.
I had to take my laptop to my oldest daughter Kristin ( the one that is doing the garden) for her to install avast anti-virus. All 3 of my girls laugh at me and my cell phone. I really am not up on all the new fangeled things. lol.

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum