Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Does any one else have pigs? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Does any one else have pigs? EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Does any one else have pigs? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Does any one else have pigs? EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Does any one else have pigs? EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Does any one else have pigs? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Does any one else have pigs? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Does any one else have pigs? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Does any one else have pigs? EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Sloppy  Seasoning  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Does any one else have pigs?

4 posters

Go down

Does any one else have pigs? Empty Does any one else have pigs?

Post by amybyrd21 Fri May 15, 2009 3:14 am

If so what kind? How many? What is your favorite part of rasing them? I am looking for someone with tamsworths to find out about them. My favorite part is their persoanalities. They are fun to watch.
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

http://waylandcook.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Does any one else have pigs? Empty Re: Does any one else have pigs?

Post by CajunMom Sun May 17, 2009 9:44 am

We have a pot belly pig. She is a pet that someone gave us. Our favorite thing about her is that she makes us laugh. She has an attitude and fusses if she does not get her way. She will even bump up against you and fuss you if you do not feed her fast enough. She is a trip!

CajunMom

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 Sun May 17, 2009 9:49 am

Is she still small? I have seen some that got almost as big as the ones I have. They say you have to feed special food to keep them small. There are people that raise them for food. I had a friend that was blind and got one to try too raise for a pet. I had to driver her an hour away to get this pig. They told her she needed to be the only one to interact with it until it got use to her being blind. She cornered it in the closet trying to catch it and it took aplug out of her hand. Her mom called me to come get it and take it back. That is as close to one as I have ever gotten.
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Homesteader Sun May 17, 2009 11:58 am

We raise pigs usually once a year. We buy feeder pigs from a local source. They are all different breeds.

I just read an article by Joel Salatin that made lots of sense. He said that it is not just the older heritage breeds that are best. It is choosing an animal that is best for where you live. One for instance he gave was to not buy Scottish Highland cattle if you live in the south. They are not meant to live south. They will do better in a colder climate. He said an animal designed for where you live that is pasture based will taste better than a heritage breed that does not belong where you live. Smile
Mrs. Homesteader
Mrs. Homesteader

http://amazinggrazefarm.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CajunMom Tue May 19, 2009 7:11 pm

She is not as small as when we first got her. In fact, I am not sure how she walks. We have her in the chicken pen so they keep each other company. I will try and post a picture of her in the next few days. Our harvest is starting so our time has become drastically limited.

CajunMom

Back to top Go down

Post by squeezinby Thu May 21, 2009 2:15 am

I have 3, I know they are part wild boer and some other dimestic pig. We got them from a naibor/friends from church. They had the mother and the father of the pigglets. They had several litters from them and would sell them to people as feeder pigs. We got the last 3 babies because the husband developed a heart problem and the wife had her hands full with the other animals they have. We helped them out with feed a couple of times when the bills got high, and they needed to get rid of all the pigs. We past on the mother, father was butchered some months before, so we took the babies. Their names are Kevin Bacon, Patunia Pig, Curlly Tail. They will be food when they get big enough.
squeezinby
squeezinby

Back to top Go down

Does any one else have pigs? Empty Pictures of Pig Pig

Post by CajunMom Thu May 21, 2009 7:24 pm

Does any one else have pigs? Trawli11 Here is Pig Pig. Our pot belly pig given to us about September 2008. She is a pet (as long as she behaves herself). She makes us laugh when she fusses us. I have no idea what she weighs but she has definitely grown since we got her.

CajunMom

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 Thu May 21, 2009 9:38 pm

I have heard that the cros breed pigs make better food. I will have to test that theroy as e have two that will be cross bbies and one that will be yorkshire only. I love pot bellied pigs but hubby always told me no. The lasy getting the last girl pig is making her a pet. She is calling her wilbur. She is planning to raise pigs off of her and sell them once a year to justify her having her. She even asked me how much breeding fee I would charge her. I will have to find her someoneclose to her because this is her dad.
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum