Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Next year's garden - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Next year's garden - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Next year's garden - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Next year's garden - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Next year's garden - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Next year's garden - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Next year's garden - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Next year's garden - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Next year's garden - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Taco  recipes  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Next year's garden

+3
dizzy
Evie1
kerrig
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Next year's garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Next year's garden

Post by backtotheland Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:32 pm

12acre, that is a great idea. It is actually just the right size to do that. It would work beautiful too the way the weather has been here lately. Today it is supposed to be up to 50 which to me is unseasonably warm for this time of year in the Northeast. I'm not complaining though.

Another thing I'm thinking of doing as far as gardening in containers is using cinderblocks. I can use the holes and put a plant in each one. Now that I actually have to think about it I'm thinking about all kinds of things I can do to grow quite a bit of my own food. Now all I need is a Baker's catalog. I'll probably have to go on line and order one though because I've never bought anything from them. I'm going to get a hard copy instead of using the internet to look at the catalog because it will give me something to keep my spirits up if we do ever get any winter weather here.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:38 pm

backtotheland-thank you for the idea of cinder blocks. I hadn't thought of that. Even though I have a large plot for a garden, being in town it's big to me, I still need to do container gardening as well. Also, all you have to do is go to Baker Creek's website and order one. That's what I did last year & I've already gotten this year's catalog. Smile
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie1 Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:36 am

the one thing I would worry about would be more heat. yes manure , and organic matter,needs heat to decompose. but if you make more heat, you will kill many nutrients and ensigns. sorry can't spell. but I find that if you just till or dig your leaves and manure in. it will rot just fine without, any help. except moister. also using frames. they work great. I made plenty. I tried wood, and blocks. and found if I didn't make them solid, weeds would grow in between the cracks. I made some cinder block frames this year, and cemented them together, on a foundation. this will help, keep weeds out, you can flood the aria, and pull the weeds out just fine, roots and all. takes some work. but what garden don't. the one thing I have that is hard to keep grass and other weeds out is asparagus. they are very hungry plants. needs lots of nitrogen. and have to keep weeds out or they will compete. I like the fact that you can change the pH, in frames. and when one is over, you can still grow other crops in other frames. in my area, I have alkali in my water and in my soil. you can leach this out with water. skim it off the top . and control your pH. You don't have to be a scientist. just look at your soil. is it white, slimy, does it smell or taste like salt, or is it sweat. is there bugs. what kind. bad soil don't invite bugs. good soil does. bugs are good , sometimes. to many is a hardship. none is death. believe it or not, bugs can tell you if your plants are doing good. a good plant is high in toxin. and bugs will eat a little and move on. and bad plants will just get eaten . bugs most normally eat sad plants. don't reach for the insecticides, reach for the nutrients. the plants need. like nitrogen, and water, and organic matter. believe it or not, you can hand pick bugs and worms, like horn worms, put them into a blender with water, uuuuuu, put the bug water in a sprayer, and spray it back on the plants, and it will deter the host bugs. I have done this, not fun, but works. just my opinion.
Evie1
Evie1

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:12 am

Sounds really icky but it makes total sense. They don't want to eat their relatives. Good thinking/1

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2