» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Hiya from North Mississippi EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Hiya from North Mississippi EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Hiya from North Mississippi EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Hiya from North Mississippi EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Hiya from North Mississippi EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Sloppy  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

Hiya from North Mississippi

Go down

Hiya from North Mississippi Empty Hiya from North Mississippi

Post by RebelDigger on Sun May 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Saw the link to here in Sonshine's sig line on HT and decided to check it out. Loving it!

I am 50 and Dh is 58. He is a retired electrician and I am a historic seamstress. We have a six acre farm on a ridge top in N. Mississippi in an area known locally as "the Hatchie Hills". We sold a three story Victorian home that we rehabed over the course of 13 years and bought this place. It has the original dogtrot style farmhouse which we have rehabed and God willing will be moving in this upcoming week. Our main hobby together is Civil War reenacting, DH is a member of the 48th TN (Nixon's) Inf. C.S.A. and I am a member of the Ladies' Auxilliary of that unit. Personally, other than the sewing which is both vocation and avocation for me, I spin on a Country Craftsman spinning wheel, knit, garden, love to read, do a little antique reburbishing and restoration and flower garden (for fun, veg. garden is necessity).

We have a half acre garden and since we moved here a year and a half ago I have added rasied beds all over the place. There are old apple trees here I need to refurb as well as a fig tree and a good blackberry thicket. Muscadines all in the woods. The woods are 2/3 of the six acres and are loblolly pine mixed with oak mostly. Livestock not yet but, planning to clear one of the old fields and get a good milk cow. Have a flock of chickens, a cat with attitude named Tigger, a GP mix named Annie who guards us all and a couple of rabbits--angora for my spinning.

My MIL and oldest son live on the property with us. DS is an Army vet (Korea, Irag) and is going to college for his criminal justice degree. He has a cat named Millie (whom I affectionately refer to as "Spawn of Satan") and a Siberian Husky named Tatiania. MIL is just old and needs us. When we move out of the mobile home into the farmhouse DS will be staying here with MIL to help her pay the utilitites.

I am glad to have found a Christian homesteading forum. I love God and have been a Christian since I made the decision at the age of 12. I feel like Christian homesteaders are different than many other homesteaders and have a unique perspective about our obligations to be good stewards of the blessings He has bestowed upon us and recipients of the joyful life He sent His son to give us through His crucifiction. Just this afternoon we planted the big garden and when my granddaughter and I got to the end of a row of corn, I stopped and looked up through the fence row across DH's uncle's hay field, verdant and green at this time of the year, with the sun beaming down on it, and in the distance, woods--just a lovely picture, and thought how wonderful a blessing it is to be able to do good honest work and be rewarded with such a beautiful view of His creation.

Last edited by RebelDigger on Sun May 06, 2012 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

RebelDigger

http://www.etsy.com/shop/alliestrunk?ref=si_shop

Back to top Go down

Hiya from North Mississippi Empty Re: Hiya from North Mississippi

Post by 12acrehome on Sun May 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Welcome to the forum. I think you will find many "friends" here. Your Millie sounds like our "Toby" (named after a character in the series "Roots") Toby was demon spawn from the time he was a few months old until he passed away at age 18. He was very fond of batting what-nots off of shelves, but only when some one was watching from across the room. Also he had a trick of clearing the dinner table about the time food was being carried to the table for a meal. He was a challenge, but managed to stay just enough on our good side to become elderly. Wink

Proverbs 28:19  He who works his land will have abundant food...

Genesis 1:29  Then God said,"I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth, and every tree that has fruit with seed in it..."

http://christiancountryramblings.com/
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Mon May 07, 2012 8:01 am

Hi and welcome to the family. We have others here that live in Mississippi. My Sister actually lives in Columbus and my parents on the Alabama/Mississippi line.

The re-enactments sound fun. I've always wanted to sew and spin, unfortunately, when it comes to sewing I'm lucky to do small repairs. I can sew by hand, in fact I have made a couple of baby quilts that were all hand sewn, but when it comes to sewing machines I'm all thumbs.

I look forward to learning and growing together.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

http://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama on Tue May 08, 2012 7:34 am

Hi and welcome. I saw Sonshine's link on HT and joined here as well. I have a different username over there, though.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Tue May 08, 2012 9:32 am

Mountainmama, what name do you use at HT?

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama on Tue May 08, 2012 9:58 am

I'm Becka at HT, but there are so many different posters there with Becka, Becca, etc. in their usernames, that I figure it's hard to keep us all straight. I don't post very often over there because of it.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Tue May 08, 2012 10:08 am

Well, I'm glad you decided to join us and hope you will post here, and often. LOL Of course, I may be a bit biased, but I believe this forum is awesome. I have come to love the members here and feel comfortable sharing everything with them. They are quick to pray for one another and to offer words of encouragement when they are needed. I hope you come to love it as much as I do.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama on Tue May 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Thank you, Sonshine. I think this is a very nice forum.

Rebel, I see you are a historic seamstress. That is so neat! I've always wanted to do that, but didn't know how to get started. Is it difficult? I love to sew and embroider, and I think it would be a dream to make historical clothing all day, as long as I could do it by machine. Hand sewing is not for me, as it involves a sharp handheld object and sticking my fingers. LOL!

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Wed May 09, 2012 4:31 am

Welcome to the group Smile
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelDigger on Wed May 16, 2012 1:54 pm

mountainmama wrote:Thank you, Sonshine. I think this is a very nice forum.

Rebel, I see you are a historic seamstress. That is so neat! I've always wanted to do that, but didn't know how to get started. Is it difficult? I love to sew and embroider, and I think it would be a dream to make historical clothing all day, as long as I could do it by machine. Hand sewing is not for me, as it involves a sharp handheld object and sticking my fingers. LOL!

Historic sewing is a LOT of hand work. One simple (no fancy trims or such) day dress takes me about 20 hours to complete even with doing the seams that don't show on the machine. That is after having made over 300 gowns, when I first started it took me twice as long. No zippers (not invented yet as of 1861) and buttonholes have to all be handworked. I also hand set hooks and eyes -- one dress bodice takes a dozen of them. So, yes, there is a lot of hand sewing to it. Also, I did intensive research for about ten years before I even started trying to sew the clothing. After 20 years of research I still learn new things about it all the time. I started out selling on ebay in 2000 and have since swapped over to etsy.

Sonshine--you should try your hand at spinning, it is soooo relaxing. I love to sit at my wheel and sing or hum while I spin. Cheaper than therapy and a great stress buster--well except when the cat tries to "help". Last Spring when the tornados were ripping through Mississippi and Alabama, the power went out here (we had several close calls with tornados within a mile of us) I just sat at my wheel and spun. I found myself reciting the 23 Psalm over and over as I did so. It kept me calm in the midst of all that fury outside.

RebelDigger

http://www.etsy.com/shop/alliestrunk?ref=si_shop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down