» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds
Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:46 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

Off Grid Chicken Brooding

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Off Grid Chicken Brooding

Post by Sonshine on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am

This was posted on Ernie's Blog. I thought it might be valuable information for our little group. Thanks Ernie!
http://bunkerindex.blogspot.com/2012/04/off-grid-chicken-brooding.html

About a week ago I picked up some chicks at the local feed store. They looked to be about a week old. I grabbed the usual brooder lamp and 250 watt bulb and came home.

After setting them up to brood and putting the light on we discovered a problem. Our battery system is not working very well. During the day we have more than enough power coming in with the solar array, but once the sun drops below the horizon then we're on batteries.

Now three deep cycle batteries at 115 amp hours each is SUPPOSED to provide us roughly 2080 watt hours of usage before the batteries are drained to 50% and our inverter shuts off. However running a 250 watt bulb for 3 hours shuts down the power system with the batteries falling below the critical threshold.

As best I can figure, we damaged these batteries early on in the process when we were still using them in the RV and charging them with the generator. So new batteries have been budgeted for and we're stepping up the storage side of the system.

But back to the chicks ... we can't put a light on them all night long when it's coldest.

The first night or two I set an alarm and went out and ran the generator to recharge the batteries for them. Clearly that wasn't going to work. So finally we dropped down to a 60 watt bulb and they survived that, but it STILL drains the batteries in about 3-4 hours. There's a real problem there.

So I asked myself ... how did they do it in the old days? I think the preferable method would be for a mother hen to raise her own dang babies, but without that available to them, how did the off-grid pioneers do it?

Luckily I had the all-knowing internet at my disposal. A quick search indicated that many other people have overcame this obstacle.

We heated two milk jugs full of near-boiling water and then covered them with towels, placing them in the brooder box with the babies. Around midnight or so the light will cut off but the bottles emit heat until early morning (around 7am we're waking up now). The baby chicks burrow up under the towel to snuggle with the jug like it's a momma hen. So far after a little over a week, our chicks are all still alive.

The temperature dropped back down from the high 60's last night to about 51 degrees F, but the chicks still survived next to their jug-o-warmth. They're feathering out nicely and I suspect it's just going to be easier and easier from here on out.

So there's your off-grid solution to raising chicks ... tried and tested.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Admin

http://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Off Grid Chicken Brooding

Post by kasilofhome on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:22 am

Here is another save the dust for pellet alelfa or brome pellets ( you got the idea) place the dust in a feed sack.

Wet the dust in the feed sack --wait 3 days and you have steady heat.

Make use of the heat from decomposing.

I have kept water buckets from freezing in a goat barn by

Digging a pit a bit more than 8 feet down -shoring it up, framing the top building a hardware cloth form with slats of wood on top.

composting was done DEEP in the pit heat rises and between the body heat and the compost pit it made life easier.

I look for ways to learn how to get heat from composting --At first it was an accident but I simply try to take advantage of a siduation and to recreate the heat effect when needed.

kasilofhome

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top