» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds
Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:46 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

What are you all raising......

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What are you all raising......

Post by 12acrehome on Wed May 08, 2013 3:06 pm

now I am not advocating breaking any laws here, but predators are best handled the old fashioned way Wink

Proverbs 28:19  He who works his land will have abundant food...

Genesis 1:29  Then God said,"I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth, and every tree that has fruit with seed in it..."

http://christiancountryramblings.com/
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Wed May 08, 2013 6:31 pm

From what I understand, if you're having a problem w/hawks, owls etc, you can get a permit to shoot them. There are certain other things that you need to do first and prove B4 a permit can be issued, but it's something to look into.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn on Wed May 08, 2013 9:35 pm

12acrehome wrote:now I am not advocating breaking any laws here, but predators are best handled the old fashioned way Wink

I have got to agree with you 12acre.

Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by carla on Thu May 09, 2013 5:15 pm

LOL Rohn I love that. I guess this is off the subject, but does anyone have any suggestions for keeping squires & raccoons of the garden?

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Thu May 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Same suggestion as for hawks.

Or, since they like to climb, if you have a fence, put a strand of electric wire (hooked to a charger) near the bottom of the garden and hope they get a shock.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn on Thu May 09, 2013 8:43 pm

I haven't had much trouble with raccoons yet, but squirrels are a different story. We are overrun by squirrels and being here in the city I cannot use the shoot method. They actually don't bother my garden much though. I quit feeding the birds in the winter because the squirrels destroy my feeding stations.
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Fri May 10, 2013 6:02 am

The only problem we've had with our chickens was a couple of years ago a weasle got in the coop and stole some eggs before we figured out where he was getting in.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Admin

http://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Thu May 30, 2013 3:22 am

We bought some marans this year. They haven't started laying yet, but the guy we bought them from said they layed chocolate colored eggs. We only got four, but if they end up good layers we'll probably get more. mom12700, do you allow your hens to hatch the eggs? If so, how are the marans at that?

Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Thu May 30, 2013 5:42 am

I'm looking forward to getting our first one. Smile

Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:35 am

PATRICE IN IL wrote:Just curious as to what everyone is raising and how large your flocks are.

I am currently down to just 2 hens. I think they are either Dominiques or Silver Laced Wyandottes, I'm not sure as they were given to me by a family friend's relative. They actually provide just enough eggs for our family. After these girls are gone I probably will not replace them. It is no longer cost effective to run an electric light in the coop throughout the winter months as well as the rising cost of their feed for the few eggs we are getting. I will miss the fertilizer when they are gone though, but not the work cleaning out the coop and run. lol

I keep a backyard egg flock of between 4 and 6 hens here at all times. Currently I have 5 decent 2 year olds - 2 Delawares, 2 Black Sex Links and a Dominique. My little flock is plenty to keep us (hubby and me and some to share with D2) in eggs.

I also raise between 30 and 50 Cornish Rock meat birds each year. I will be ordering my first batch of meaties for the year in a week or so. I do this at my D1's house nearby since she has some acreage available. I raise them on pasture in a mobile coop called the City Biddy DoubleWIDE. Any replacements pullets that I need are also raised in the same way and usually are raised in a batch of 25 or so sexed pullets usually every other year. (This is an off year so I am not going to have any this year) I select the best birds that I want to keep and sell the remaining birds as started pullets which usually is a money raising enterprise.

I also occasionally a few turkeys (8 - 10) just enough to fill the freezer. (Usually I do turkeys the year I don't raise pullets, but this year is a skip for several reasons.) I have raised several different heritage types, but actually prefer the Broad Breasted Bronze in the tractor setting since they gain quickly and are just going in the freezer anyway.

If you are running a light all winter and having problems heating and cleaning the coop for a small flock it sounds to me like you need a better performing coop. If you have the right tool for the job it makes the work, so much easier and you can save money too. Believe me when I tell you I am CHEAP! It would be such a shame to no longer have your chickens at all. Crying or Very sad

Here in mighty Missouri we get darned cold and usually have lots of dampness and strong winds each winter. I designed my City Biddy Hen House to be warm in winter - heated by just the hen's own body temps. It is also cool in summer, because it is VERY hot and humid here as well, with good ventilation all year long. My hens have an attached run, but they are also allowed out to free range in my yard as well. The coop is mobile so I can take advantage of a different site depending on the time of the year. My hens range in my back garden spot throughout the winter for example and stay on the shady north side of my garage in the hot months.

I would love to share some pics, but I am not allowed to yet since I am too new a member. Not to sound like a commercial, but I love them so much we have been selling building plans for the last 4 years. You should check out my website.
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:02 pm

farmfresh, can you post a link to your website?

Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:03 pm

Sonshine wrote:farmfresh, can you post a link to your website?

Not yet. Very Happy I haven't been here long enough.

You can Google it though. uBuilder Plans
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:58 am

Farm fresh I'll have to check out your site when I get a chance.

With my health problems and dh's dementia it is just too much to deal with the added work that the chickens create. I have difficulty maneuvering when the weather changes. I don't want to add another thing to ds's list of chores, he's got enough to do now with dh's dementia diagnosis. Also I have seen the feed prices double since we originally got our first 4 hens years ago and it just isn't cost effective for the amount of eggs we get in return. We'll keep the coop in case we change our minds and decide to raise them in the future.
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Farmfresh wrote:
Sonshine wrote:farmfresh, can you post a link to your website?

Not yet. Very Happy I haven't been here long enough.

You can Google it though. uBuilder Plans

changing the time in here required to post links would require a change for all, send me a pm with a link to your web site and I will re-post it for you.

Proverbs 28:19  He who works his land will have abundant food...

Genesis 1:29  Then God said,"I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth, and every tree that has fruit with seed in it..."

http://christiancountryramblings.com/
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Keith, is there anyway we can change the requirements for posting picture and links?

Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:04 pm

FF, I don't recall, did you have them on BYC? I know some here have looked at that site, so that might be a way for people to look.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:51 am

dizzy wrote:FF, I don't recall, did you have them on BYC?  I know some here have looked at that site, so that might be a way for people to look.
 Yeah I have a page there, but I seldom have visited it.
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:14 pm

I have a mixed flock this year for the first time ever. I usually have one breed and was going to get Buff Orphington's this year but my friend right down the road was selling off his entire flock so I got them instead. I have 18 hens and two roosters. I know I have some Rhode Island Reds, Buffs, Barred Rock, Welsomer, Americana and there are three white ones that lay brown eggs. One rooster is a Rhode Island Red and the other is an Americana I think. They are huge and they are very docile.

I'm going to experiment with fodder trays for them as their run has no grass. I'm picking all kinds of green things to give them and giving them some kitchen scraps.

If I ever get a place of my own again I would like to raise heritage breed turkeys, ducks and geese. I found a breed of geese that I would like to try. They are while and their feathers are curly. They are Sebastopol. I raised heritage breed turkeys once and they free ranged and ranged right into a flock of wild turkeys behind my friends house so if I ever did it again I would put them in a Turkey Tractor or build them a coop and covered run.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:21 pm

I would love to try raising some turkeys, but already have our hands full with the goats and chickens.  When Joe retires we may be able to expand a bit.

Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top