Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Anyone build their own root cellar? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Anyone build their own root cellar? EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Anyone build their own root cellar? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Anyone build their own root cellar? EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Anyone build their own root cellar? EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Anyone build their own root cellar? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Anyone build their own root cellar? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Anyone build their own root cellar? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Anyone build their own root cellar? EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  recipes  Taco  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Anyone build their own root cellar?

+4
Forerunner
NativeOregonian
Sonshine
squeezinby
8 posters

Go down

Anyone build their own root cellar? Empty Anyone build their own root cellar?

Post by squeezinby Mon May 11, 2009 11:51 pm

Per Old Grouch's request I have started this thread. If anyone out there has any ideas or info on building a root cellar, please feel free to post here. OldGrouch and I need info on this subject. Thanks. Smile
squeezinby
squeezinby

Back to top Go down

Anyone build their own root cellar? Empty Re: Anyone build their own root cellar?

Post by squeezinby Wed May 13, 2009 4:00 am

Thanks for the links sonshine.
squeezinby
squeezinby

Back to top Go down

Anyone build their own root cellar? Empty Re: Anyone build their own root cellar?

Post by NativeOregonian Wed May 13, 2009 12:36 pm

We built a root cellar many years ago out of a "Logging Crummy" (sp?) It was a small van box with windows about 10' long x 8' wide. (Carried the loggers to the woods every day) Anyway, My husband burried it most of the way, put bales of hay on the roof part, boarded up the windows, installed a vent in the top, and made a ramp down to the door. I built shelves on both sides and potato bins on each side. I loved it. Stored 600#'s potatoes in it and it stayed around 40 degrees all winter. We had potatoes till about the first of March. We sold the place about 11 years ago and it is still standing. I would love to have it back as they have never used it.
NativeOregonian
NativeOregonian

Back to top Go down

Post by squeezinby Thu May 14, 2009 12:00 am

Thanks, I've been looking on the internet for different ideas and styles of cellars. I saw one yestureday where someone used an old school bus the same way you discribed. I'm still trying to figure out which way would be the best way to go for us. I don't want to work hubby to death,but I don't want to have any problems where we would have to rebuild it in a few years. If you think of anything else please post it. Thanks again.
squeezinby
squeezinby

Back to top Go down

Post by Forerunner Thu May 14, 2009 9:50 am

I built two, one was with wood and plastic, the other was an old steel bulk tank that I came across in the salvage. The 20'x 11' tank I buried horizontally under three feet of dirt and filled about halfway with pea gravel to make a level floor. I then poured four inches of concrete over the gravel and added a smaller tank to the front to make a tunnel that gave us another 16 feet of buffer from the extremes of outside temps.
If I build again, it will be with either concrete or post and beam, using black locust for my timbers. I really like my steel tank cellar, but heavy equipment is all but required for the undertaking of building one that way.
Facing the doorway to the north is best, and don't forget to build where there is more than adequate drainage.
Forerunner
Forerunner

Back to top Go down

Post by squeezinby Thu May 14, 2009 10:35 pm

Thanks, The spot I'm looking at building is a northeast facing slope that just sits above a valley/Extra large gully to the back of the property. I'm still trying to figure out How big to make it. And what to build it out of. I would like to us it for Emergency/Storm shelter too.I guess I just need to make some personal choices. We don't have any heavy equipment for the tank idea,even though it sound really neat. I'm looking for designs/plans of the different kinds made out of the different materials in order to compare.
squeezinby
squeezinby

Back to top Go down

Post by OldGrouch Fri May 15, 2009 12:26 am

Forerunner wrote:.....Facing the doorway to the north is best,.....

Right now the best slope I have to build one on faces east... unless I move our driveway or get the neighbors to sell us an acre...

Thinking of getting a couple concrete culverts (approx 32" X 48") and trying those to see how well having several small "cellars" would work.

--Dwight
OldGrouch
OldGrouch

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 Fri May 15, 2009 9:39 am

We have one under my house (built in 1850) but it is mostly filled in. Hubby and I have not wanted to go under the house to dig it out again. It is under the livingroom. That would have been the only room to this house at the time. We have huge snakes and bad spiders here. So when something needs to be repaired we hire someone to do it. Normally the neighbors kids that is not afraid of stuff like that. I would say it is about waist deep in the middle. The cabin across the street built around the same time has a little door under the porch that goes to under the house where they stored things (even found moonshine bottles under there). I thought of one of those tornado selters as being ours. I am looking into that but we have really rocky ground too.
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

http://waylandcook.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:59 am

I am in the earliest of the planning stages for a root cellar my self. For about $4.00 you can buy a phamplet on Amazon.com titled "Build Your Own Underground Root Cellar" It is a 32 page booklet that covers location, tools, materials, building plans and instructions, adaptive uses, maintenance, and storage requirements of various fruits and vegetables. This is for a concrete footed, block walled, dirt or concrete floored unit. The materials list is for an 8 x 12 foot cellar. Lots of food storage there, with shelves.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:36 am

I'd love to have a root cellar, just don't have room for one.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum