» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Ok, let's get this study started EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Ok, let's get this study started EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Ok, let's get this study started EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Ok, let's get this study started EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Ok, let's get this study started EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Taco  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

Ok, let's get this study started

Go down

Ok, let's get this study started Empty Ok, let's get this study started

Post by Sonshine on Fri May 20, 2011 11:35 am

Would you like for me to just post it here each day, or post the link and we'll determine each day how far in the study we'll go on a day by day basis? Let me know and I'll get it going.

Here's the link to the study:
http://www.homeopathyworld.com/coursemodule1.htm

I'll let those interested look it over and decide if you want to just follow the link or if you want me to post some each day.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

http://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Ok, let's get this study started Empty Re: Ok, let's get this study started

Post by Sonshine on Sun May 22, 2011 9:34 am

Looks like no one is responding on how they want to do the study, so I'll post the first part and we can go from there. The introduction may seem a bit boring, but I think it's important to always start at the beginning so we have a good foundation. Here's the first part of the study:

Exploring Homeopathy

Module 1

In this module you will:
- Look at the history and philosophy behind Homeopathy
- Learn about the Law of Similars
- Learn about the Law of the Minimum Dose
- Look at two example cases to see how these two laws are used in real situations
- Do a short quiz to review what you have learnt

1. A brief History of Homeopathy
Hippocrates, over 2000 years ago wrote that there were two approaches to healing:
the use of contraries or opposites (Antipathic medicine) or similars (Homeopathic medicine)
Antipathy uses the opposite suffering to try to restore the body to balance.

Here are some examples:
A laxative is given to ease constipation.
An anti-inflammatory is given to reduce inflammation.
An antacid is given to reduce stomach acidity.

One of the reasons that Hippocrates was not keen on using opposites was because he noticed that the original problem tended to get worse and so more and more of the opposite medicine had to be given to get the same result.

Homoeopathy uses substances that can cause similar suffering to restore health. That is to say substances that have been found to cause particular problems in a healthy person are used to treat those same problems in an unhealthy person.
Here are some examples:

One common hay fever remedy is prepared from Alium Cepa (onion) because a healthy person chopping an onion will often get a runny nose and streaming eyes.

Angry red swellings (however caused) may be treated with Apis (made from bee sting).
Blood poisoning may be treated with Lachesis (bushmaster snake venom), or other snake venom remedies.

Although homeopathy is about 200 years old, treating with similars has been a common approach in traditional herbal medicine throughout the world for thousands of years.

Conventional medicine is sometimes referred to as allopathic (meaning literally, 'other suffering') this means there is no direct correlation between what you are suffering from and the treatment you are given, but for some unknown reason it alleviates the symptoms. In fact, strictly-speaking, the majority of orthodox medicine tends to be more 'antipathic' than 'allopathic'.

In the early 16th century a German doctor named Paracelsus, now known as the father of chemistry, strongly criticized the use of contraries and stressed his belief that 'like cures like'.
However, it was not until the late 18th century that Homoeopathy as it is known today emerged. It came about when another German doctor, called Hahnemann, began to have trouble with his conscience. The following is an excerpt from his diary:

"I cannot reckon on much income from practice... I am too conscientious to prolong illness or make it appear more dangerous than it is...It was agony for me to walk always in darkness, when I had to heal the sick, and to prescribe according to such and such an hypothesis concerning diseases, substances which owed their place in the Materia Medica to an arbitrary decision...Soon after my marriage, I renounced the practice of medicine, that I may no longer incur the risk of doing injury and I engaged exclusively in chemistry and in literary occupations."

2. Hahnemann and the first proving.
So Hahnemann gave up his practice and because he had a wife and large brood of children to support he took on work as a translator. Whilst translating a book by the Scottish doctor Cullen, Hahnemann became irritated and dissatisfied with Cullen's explanation that quinine (also known as Cinchona bark or China) was effective against malaria because of its bitterness. He decided to take some himself to see what would happen.

"My feet, finger ends etc., at first became quite cold; I grew languid and drowsy; then my heart began to palpitate, and my pulse grew hard and small; intolerable anxiety, trembling, prostration throughout my limbs; then pulsation in the head, redness of my cheeks, thirst, and, in short, all these symptoms that are ordinarily characteristic of intermittent fever, made their appearance, one after the other... Briefly even those symptoms which are of regular occurrence and especially characteristic - as the stupidity of mind, the kind of rigidity in all the limbs, but above all the numb, disagreeable sensation, which seems to have its seat in the periosteum (bone surface), over every bone in the whole body - all these made their appearance. The paroxysm lasted two or three hours each time, and recurred, if I repeated this dose, not otherwise; I discontinued it and was in good health."

Not surprisingly Hahnemann was very excited by this discovery because it provided a sound, logical basis for the selection of medicines. Those substances that could cause symptoms in a healthy person could be used to cure the same symptoms in an unhealthy person.This brings us to the most important and fundamental law of Homeopathy...

3. The Law of Similars
Hahnemann had had one of those Eureka moments. He realized that if healthy people took a particular substance and recorded their symptoms, then somebody suffering from similar symptoms could be cured using that substance. This is often neatly summarised by the phrase:

Like cures like

As you can imagine Hahnemann wanted to pursue this by testing other substances and he began with those he knew could make a healthy person sick...poisons. Of course, this presented problems for those who were kind enough to test the substances on themselves. The provers (testers) often became extremely ill and this is what lead to the discovery of the other fundamental law in Homeopathy, namely...

4. The Law of the Minimum Dose
Hahnemann began diluting the substances he wished to test, often to the point where there wasn't a single molecule of the original substance left, although at the time nobody knew that.Unfortunately these substances had no effect. So it was back to the drawing board.

There is a story ( probably apocryphal but none the less charming !) that Hahnemann was holding a test tube of a diluted substance in his hand and was so frustrated at this point that he began to hit it against a leather-bound Bible and discovered that the process of shaking and bashing somehow imprinted the energy of the original substance into the liquid /dilutant so that it continued to have a medicinal effect, but, happily, the toxic effects disappeared during the dilution process. Others say he discovered this because the medicines that he carried with him in his bag were more effective than those he did not, because of all the jiggling they experienced.

However he actually came by the idea the important thing is that it worked and this combination of diluting and succussing is called potentisation.

5. Potency
You may have noticed you can get homeopathic medicines in many different potencies (e.g..3x, 6x, 12x, 6c, 12c, 30c, 200c, 1M, 10M). The roman numerals are used to denote the factor by which the substance has been diluted ( x=process of dilution by a factor of 1:9; c=process of dilution by a factor of 1:99; M = process of dilution by a factor of 1:999) Strangely, provided succussion has taken place, the more diluted a substance is the more potent and far-reaching its effects appear to be. Therefore a 200c, having been diluted and succussed more frequently is more potent than a 30c, which in turn is more potent than a 6x.
In Homeopathy less is more.

If I wanted to prepare a substance homeopathically to a 6x potency I would start with the original substance (what is known as a mother tinture) and put one drop into nine drops of dilutant (usually ethanol alcohol). These ten drops would then be succussed (shaken and bashed against a leather-bound bible, just as in days of old) and then only one drop placed into a fresh test tube containing a further 9 drops of alcohol and the process of succussion repeated .At this stage the medicine would be a 2x potency. Only after I had repeated this same process four more times would it become a 6x. To make a 6c the process would be identical, except that I would have 99 drops of alcohol to my one drop of the mother tincture and all subsequent dilutions. As you can imagine making a 200c is a long process and most pharmacies make the higher potencies with a machine, rather than by hand.

One of the reasons Homeopathy enjoys such an excellent reputation is because it is given in such minute doses that it can be safely used to treat anyone (including pregnant women, new born babies, children, weak or elderly people and small animals) without dangerous side effects.
James Tyler Kent expressed the view that a 30c was a safe potency for anyone to use. Potencies higher than 30c are not generally recommended for the self-prescribed treatment of injuries and acute illnesses.

The single dose is a very important aspect of the
Law of the Minimum Dose.

Classical homeopaths, who follow the teachings of Hahnemann closely, apply the Law of the Minimum Dose not only by using potentised medicines, but by administering them according to the same principle.

A single dose of the medicine is given and then its action is assessed some time later. If it is working no more medicine is given unless the improvements experienced either stop completely or are reversed.

Currently there is a lot of misinformation relating to dosage and repetition of homeopathic medicines, both on the medicine containers and in magazine articles and self-help books. Ignore any instructions that asks you to routinely repeat a homeopathic medicine at set intervals. Instead remember this simple common-sense rule:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I'll wait for any responses before I post more. I may add info from some of my books from time to time and if at any time anyone has a comment, suggestion or question, please speak up.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Mon May 23, 2011 8:17 am

Sorry Sonshine, I haven't had time to go look over the stuff yet.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Mon May 23, 2011 11:26 am

That's ok. I just wanted to find out if everyone wanted me to post a little at a time here, or if they wanted to go directly to the study online and figure out how much we want to post each day for discussion purposes. I'm not in a big hurry and will go at whatever pace everyone wants to go at.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Sun May 29, 2011 10:42 am

Ok, maybe we should just go through one of my books instead of this study. I think it may be more interesting and informative.

We'll start off by talking about the types of herbs. Herbalists have developed a set of categories to describe what herbs do. Many herbs fit into more than one category because they have more than one specific effect on the body. For example, ginkgo enhances circulation in the microscopic blood vessels, but it's also an antioxidant.

Let's look at specifics and tonics. The two terms refer to whether an herb targets a particular symptom or enhances the health and efficient operation of a whole organ or body system. For example, valerian is a specific for insomnia. Chemical compounds in the herb are sedating and promote sleep. Astragalus, on the other hand, in a tonic. When repeated illness or stress weakens the immune system, astragalus slowly rebuilds immune strength.

Specifics are taken for brief periods, or only when symptoms are present. Tonics are taken long term, sometimes with short breaks. Some herbs have several uses, they may function as a specific for one symptom and have a tonic use as well.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Mon May 30, 2011 3:25 am

Sonshine, I think it would be better to go with something from your book. I didn't find that study very interesting or what I was thinking we would be covering, topic wise.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Mon May 30, 2011 10:53 am

Patrice, I agree. I looked into different herbal classes online, but most of them you have to pay for, and I really think we may do just as well by going through some of the books instead. What did you think of my last post? That is from one of my books.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 am

Sonshine that sounds more like I was thinking about. I would like to learn more about basic herbal remedies and how to apply them to different situations. I haven't studied much about herbs but I do have 1 book on herbal remedies that I'll have to dig out.

I have never made a tonic and have limited use with teas, but I'm very interested in learning. Anything I can take that God has provided would benefit me more than synthetic drugs at this point with all of my allergies to drugs.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:23 am

Ok, let's move on to what is called the "Anti's" Herbs that fall in this category are used to fight whatever follows the prefix. So, anitviral herbs fight viruses, antifungals fight funguses, ect.

Some of the "anti's" need further explanations. For instance, antispasmadics relieve spasms or cramps in muscles, whether it's the skeletal muscles that hurt when they're cramped or the smooth muscles that encircle the ariways and intestines.

Antitoxidants inhibit oxidation. These herbs have certain compounds that help prevent a particular set of chemical reactions implemented in diseases like arthritis and macular degeneration.

Anti-inflamatories counteract or suppress the body's production of chemicals that inflame tissues, such as histamines. In an inflamatory reponse, whether from a bee sting or hay fever, small blood vessels dilate and leak fluid into the surrounding tissue. So basically it causes swelling.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:52 am

Makes sense so far. Now to figure out what herbs I need to grow for what purpose.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Patrice, if you'll tell me what you are wanting as far as medicinally, I'll post what I can find out what herbs to use and the preparations and dosages of them. There's so many different types of ailments and so many different herbs that it could take a long time to finally hit on the ones people are particularly looking for. We could start with those we know we want more info on and go from there.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:41 am

Mainly for my arthritis and allergies.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin