Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
New Chicks EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
New Chicks EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
New Chicks EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
New Chicks EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
New Chicks EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
New Chicks EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
New Chicks EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
New Chicks EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
New Chicks EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

New Chicks

3 posters

Go down

New Chicks Empty New Chicks

Post by Mississippi Momma Mon May 16, 2011 5:37 am

Our chicks came in on Thursday. They seem to be doing great. So far we haven't lost any of them and they're eating and drinking good. I'm keeping them in the house with us right now since the temperature has dropped into the high forties and low fifties at night. After it warms up again they will go in an outside brooder.

Here's a picture of them. They are Araucana/Americana breed chicks. One that was sent as an extra I have no idea what it is and it's problably a rooster. All the others are pullets. When they start laying I'm planning to sell the Buttercup hens and roosters.

New Chicks 100_1635
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Chicks Empty Re: New Chicks

Post by Sonshine Mon May 16, 2011 10:42 am

You don't plan on hatching out any eggs from them? We are going to keep one rooster so we can hopefully let them hatch some baby chicks and we won't have to buy any more.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Mon May 16, 2011 11:53 pm

I have some roosters from the others we ordered. I may try next spring to hatch some. That is if the raccoons and o'possums stay away as well as dogs.

Right now I'm looking to sell some of the eggs as soon as they start laying.
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 Tue May 17, 2011 3:47 am

Mississippi Momma they normally send an extra one or two incase one dies on the way. They did that to us when we ordered ours last year. We are hatching them for our selves now. We bought the invubator and egg turner at TSC. (We have two of them now) We have them going as soon as the weather is above 50 outside during the day. If the eggs get to cool they wont hatch. Right now we have 5 chicks and 6 ducks in the brooder in the house. We have the outer incubator full. As soon as we catch what ever is eating our chicken eggs we will be setting the other incubator with just chicken eggs. We think we have a rat and it keeps tripping the traps. We can not catch it.
It is over cast and wet here today so the garden will have to wait until we get to weed it. It looks like we were gone for a month. The tomatoes have grown and so have the weeds.
Rebekka gets her blood work done in the morning then they will make her appointment for the Dr at Vanderbilt. Hubby is dong better but as soon as he got back he went on 12 hour days. They set up a 2nd shift while he was gone so he may be moving to that shift. He thinks that would do better for him. I have my Endo Dr appt on Monday. I am hoping they can get my blood sugars straightened out.

For dinner I am doing something with pork chops and making vegetables to go with it.
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

http://waylandcook.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Tue May 17, 2011 9:58 am

Amybyrd, why not just let the momma hens hatch them out? Just curious. We plan on letting the hens hatch them out and let them take care of the chicks.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Tue May 17, 2011 11:38 am

The extra chick doesn't look anything like the others so I think it is what the hatcheries call rere breeds and it's probably a rooster. That's all we've ever gotten with the extra one. We only got 26 chicks but of course I only ordered 25.

I bought some game hens to be brooding hens but neither of them has even offered to set and I've had them for two years. The best brooders I've ever had have been silkies. They are great little mommas.

Amy, I hope your appointment goes well.

Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down