Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  Taco  recipes  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand

3 posters

Go down

Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand Empty Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand

Post by OldGrouch Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:46 pm

(please forgive if this write up is a bit disjointed)

Over on HT there was a thread that referenced using a automotive brake vacuum pump to vacuum seal canning jars. What with the cost of oxygen absorbers rising MissKitty and I thought we should experiment with this and I feel led to post our results here.

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Alvin-Vacuum-Sealer/

Bought the following from foodsaver.com

Description Price
FoodSaver® Jar Sealer (regular mouth size) $8.99
FoodSaver® Jar Sealer (wide mouth size) $9.99
FoodSaver® Accessory Hose $3.00

and the Manual Vacuum Pump from Harbor Freight in Ft. Smith

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-92474.html

The results:

So far have sealed close to 80 jars with his setup. Some pints, a few quarts but mostly half gallon jars. I've been reusing flats previously used for dry storage and all have sealed but one. I sit a few jars by my chair in the evening and work them while watching TV or the fire in the evening. Typically pull the vacuum down to between -24 / -25 on the gauge. Since we don't have a electric vacuum sealer I can't confirm but it was reported that the electric bag & jar sealers draw the vacuum down to below -20. The thoughts on how far down the Oxygen Absorbers pull the vacuum down were varied so I can't give that comparison but... the center of the flats sealed with the hand pump are far more indented than the ones where the oxygen absorbers where used.

It can get a bit tiring, LOL!

Yesterday I demonstrated this to our weekly Proverbs Meetin' group. Every family there wanted one so a group buy was placed last night for the foodsaver.com items and one of the couples is going to Harbor Freight to get the Hand Pumps.

hope this helps!

--Dwight
OldGrouch
OldGrouch

Back to top Go down

Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand Empty Re: Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand

Post by Sonshine Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:58 pm

I'll have to make a visit to Harbor Freight. Although I love our food saver, I'm thinking of what would happen if we could no longer afford electricity, so am trying to find ways to preserve food without it. I know you can dehydrate using the sun, and I know how to can, but didn't really understand the method used with the oxygen absorbers. This sounds like something I could probably do.

BTW, how is your weekly Proverbs Meeting Group going? I miss reading what you were discussing in there and the things you have tried.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand Empty Re: Vacuum Sealing Canning Jars by hand

Post by OldGrouch Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 pm

This week we talked about a lot of items, gardening, catching rain water, how it works and what is needed for the manual vacuum sealing of dry food stores in canning jars and the Scripture was Ecclesiastes chapter 4. Also a more detailed talk about the "Lesson" given at last Sunday's Meetin' on the Tabernacle.

Started before noon and we talked fast and furious until after 4 PM.

--Dwight
OldGrouch
OldGrouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:44 pm

WOW!! Sounds like you are having some awesome meetings. Hope you get a chance to post some of the details. I don't think anyone has discussed catching rain water yet here. That would be an interesting topic.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotton Picker Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:26 pm

Here is a food grade opperated vacuum pump. I own two and they do a great job.

Pump-N-Seal

It can also be used to seal any jar that has a built in rubber gasket. This enables you to reuse/recycle all of your old store bought pickle, spaghetti sauce, etc jars.

Another add-on fixture, enables you to vacuum marinade using just about any smooth lipped pan or bowl.

They are as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Cotton Picker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:47 am

We got the pump and seal and LOVE it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotton Picker Wed May 18, 2011 1:21 am

Sorry for the delay......

I'm glad you are liking it. For the money it's a pretty good little unit.

The fact that with it you can re-use jars scratches that frugality itch.

Cotton Picker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down