Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars

4 posters

Go down

Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars Empty Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars

Post by Sonshine Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:33 am

Got this from a friend in my email.

Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars

Grow your own food-eat all of the plant except for the nightshade plants-potatoes, peppers, and tomatoes you can eat the whole plant-the leaves make yummy greens-the stems can be chopped, boiled and eaten or peeled and stir-fried.
When you grow cabbages and you take big one grown on the plant-leave the plant in the ground- it will grow lovely satellite sprouts that are tender and delicious when steamed.

Use the whole cauliflower you buy at the store the core is tasty if cooked along with the florets,also the leaf parts are eatable and fill of fiber. Cauliflowers are 3-4 dollars now-eat it all -it will be great in soups where it will cook tender.

Plan your leftoversI hate to throw away foodLately I'm saving all the left overs for making soupe which I freeze so that I'll have food when the food gets so pricey we can't buy all the delicacies we enjoy now.

I quit buying the throw away things and buy reusable productsI have lots of old raggy rags for instance to use for small spills and messes and I make big tote bags for carrying things. Now I just need to get my husband to carry the bags for groceries-he does the shopping.....

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars Empty Re: Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:38 am

Plan your meals and only cook as much as you need for each meal, it will help cut down on waste. If you have leftovers either package for lunch the next day or put them into the freezer for a quick meal for when you don't feel like cooking, even if it's only a single serving of something.

Stretch your meals by adding a bread product along with extra vegetables. Make more casseroles or soups to use up leftover bits of meat and vegetables.

If you do cook too much and don't eat the leftovers the next day, try having a buffet on Friday night. Pull all the week's leftovers out, heat them up, and let everyone pick what they want. Make a different/special dessert, something different than you would serve on any other week night that way they won't feel like they are eating the same things again.

Try making some homemade granola, it's cheaper than store bought and tastes much better. Use it as cereal, sprinkle it in yogurt or over ice cream for a treat.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars Empty Re: Some thrifty tips for stretching food dollars

Post by Sonshine Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:46 am

When I have left over vegetables I like to put them in a bag and freeze them. I just keep adding them until I have enough to make some soup out of it. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Lillia Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:19 pm

I always put oats in my ground beef. It makes it go twice as far, just adding half to 3/4 a cup and a bit of water.

Also, left overs are great to make pizza with. Try different things. A crust, some garlic, oregano, your left overs and cheese, and you have a meal.

Miss Lillia
Miss Lillia

Back to top Go down

Post by kasilofhome Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:41 pm

My mom did that too. I only do that with meat loaf. She would do the oats or grind a potatoe and ionion and mix that in.

kasilofhome

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Lillia Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:04 pm

kasilofhome wrote:My mom did that too. I only do that with meat loaf. She would do the oats or grind a potatoe and ionion and mix that in.

A potato is a good idea!
You know, I keep a package of instant potato flakes just for the purpose of thickener. It comes in very handy to quickly thicken a soup or gravy. I have also grated a potato or 2 into my chili before, to help it thicken.
Miss Lillia
Miss Lillia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum