Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Welcome to the pig forum EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Welcome to the pig forum EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Welcome to the pig forum EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Welcome to the pig forum EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Welcome to the pig forum EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Welcome to the pig forum EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Welcome to the pig forum EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Welcome to the pig forum EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Welcome to the pig forum EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Seasoning  Sloppy  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Welcome to the pig forum

Go down

Welcome to the pig forum Empty Welcome to the pig forum

Post by amybyrd21 Sun May 10, 2009 10:55 am

We are a family of 7. We have two kids at home and three step children out of the house (grown up). We homeschool, grow our own food (alot of it), raise pigs, horses, ducks, chickens, bees (just got yesterday) and guineas.
The rules of the pig forum are as follows: keep it clean, be respectful and always remember that the only stupid question is the one not asked. I will do my best to get the answers needed. If I do not know them then I will find them out for you.
We have been raising pigs for a few months. But this is not my husbands first go around. He has been around them his whole life. I jumped in over my head and climbed to the top. When we bought ours we were told they were bred two weeks tops. Two weeks after we got ours we had our first litter. Then two weeks later another. We are expecting another one by July.
Pigs stay pregnate for three months, three weeks and three days. ( We have fast pigs lol )We have a duroc, a landrace, and a yorkshire sow. Our boar is yorkshire. You can teach them to be calm when you handle their babies like we have. We can make them squeal for thirty minutes before we get the first oink out of the mothers. They are really intelligent and learn fast.
The pig diet is up to you. We are all organic. We do not feed pig punch, grower or anything with steriods or hormones. They eat corn, veggi scrapes, grass and clover. (They love clover) We are looking into worming them with DE.
Fixing baby pigs is not as difficult as I thought, but you do not have to as boar taint is suppost to have been bred out of most of them by now and only 75% of the population can taste it. We fix ours for the customers. The only thing I can add to this is the eairler the better. pig pig

Pigs are a joy to have and are alot of fun. I hope you will learn alot here and I will learn as we go to.
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

http://waylandcook.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum