» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Hello from Kentucky EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Hello from Kentucky EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Hello from Kentucky EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Hello from Kentucky EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Hello from Kentucky EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Sloppy  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

Hello from Kentucky

Go down

Hello from Kentucky Empty Hello from Kentucky

Post by hobbyfarmer on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:18 am

Hi,
My name is Kristen. I found the link to Sonshine's forum on her signature line at HT. I read a couple forums regularly but none specifically Christian minded. I was a part of a yahoo group (well, I think the term would be 'lurker'. lol) of Christian homesteaders for several years and really enjoyed it but there came a time when the denominational fighting got to be so vigorous that I left that group. I am technically a member of the UMC church but do not consider myself necessarily denominational. I try to avoid doctrine and just focus on Bible study but we live in a very small town and fellowship opportunities are limited, so DH and I stay in the church we have always known just for those opportunities. Sometimes you just really need to be among believers, even if we don't agree 100% on doctrine.

Sooo, I'm a mom of 3 girls ( 4, 9, and 16). DH and I have been married 17 years. Our oldest is attending the public high school (her choice) and our two younger girls are still homeschooling. We live in southern KY on about 16 acres and we raise dairy goats, chickens, a few pigs every year, and usually a beef calf or two. DH works full time and I'm currently working on a degree in Social Work.

As far as homesteading goes, we're just doing the basics. Besides raising animals for meat, we garden, and put up that produce. I've had a small soap business to help with extra cash for about 7 years now and I've written a few articles on that when I had the chance earn a little extra that way.

I noticed that most of the posts were older. I'm hoping that mostly because it's summer and everyone is busy. I'm really happy to find a Christian Homesteading list and I hope to learn a lot from you all.

Kristen
hobbyfarmer
hobbyfarmer

Back to top Go down

Hello from Kentucky Empty Re: Hello from Kentucky

Post by Sonshine on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:12 am

Welcome to our group Kristen,

Unfortunately, the posting has been slow lately. I am partly to blame for that. I underwent major back surgery about 3 months ago and am still very restricted by how much time I'm allowed to sit up. I tried going online laying down, but that didn't work out very well. Smile

I'm glad you joined us. I'm praying that things will begin to pick up a little more now that summer is almost over.

What kind of soaps do you make? Any goat milk soap? If so, I would love some of your recipes if you would be willing to share.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

http://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by hobbyfarmer on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:30 am

I make all kinds of soaps. I'm not necessarily a pro but I don't have a secret goat's milk recipe. I like to use veggie shortening and coconut oil as a base personally, but you can substitute goat's milk for water (equally) in any soap recipe. I freeze the milk that I plan to use for soap and then dissolve the lye only after the milk thaws to a slush. Then just go ahead with your recipe the same way you would with water/lye mix.

When I started soaping, there weren't many recipes for milk available to me and I started with blender soaps so I did a lot of trial and error stuff. The recipes I found at that time were all pretty complicated and I don't have time for complicated so I just wing it. lol.

I have to leave for a night class in a few but I'll be happy to dig out a favorite recipe tonight and post it.
hobbyfarmer
hobbyfarmer

Back to top Go down

Post by 7dawn on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:10 am

Hi Kristen,

Glad to have you aboard. The lack of posts is also my fault. This past year has been absolutely nuts for me. It started in October of '09 and has not stopped since. I head up the hot button topic area or debate forum.

It seems since spring arrived that things started to really slow down around here. I, like Katrina, am hoping things pick up after the fall harvest comes and goes.

I don't get on the computer much anymore. I babysit kids for a living (still not sure what brought about that insane idea) and when I am on at night I am usually playing a game with my husband and two boys. I homeschool my kids, they are 15 and 16.

I hope you enjoy your stay with us!

Dawn

You laugh because I am different. I laugh because you are all the same.

http://myshakeology.com/esuite/home/7dawn

http://www.teambeachbody.com/home
7dawn
7dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:10 am

I can't wait to see the recipes. I haven't made soap before, but have gotten all the supplies to do so. Unfortunately, due to back surgery I didn't get a chance to milk our goats. I'm hoping the next time we breed them I'll be able to start milking them, then I'm going to attempt the soap. I may have a lot of questions when that time comes. Smile Sure do wish you lived closer. I'm a hands on type of learner and it would be great to learn from someone who already makes soap.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

http://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by CajunMom on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:26 am

Welcome from Louisiana! I am not on much either though I do try to browse once a week. Glad to have you here. Cajun Mom

CajunMom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down