Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
We have the worse time keeping our hens! EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
We have the worse time keeping our hens! EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
We have the worse time keeping our hens! EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
We have the worse time keeping our hens! EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
We have the worse time keeping our hens! EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
We have the worse time keeping our hens! EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
We have the worse time keeping our hens! EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
We have the worse time keeping our hens! EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
We have the worse time keeping our hens! EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

We have the worse time keeping our hens!

3 posters

Go down

We have the worse time keeping our hens! Empty We have the worse time keeping our hens!

Post by Mississippi Momma Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:11 am

[b]We just have the worse time keeping hens alive. Our pens have double layers of wire up so far on the outside. The tops are covered with wire but critters (mostly raccoons and o'possums) find their way in.

Spring 2009 I bought some Easter Eggers and some Butter Cups. I was so proud of the Easter Eaggers as they laid all winter. The Butter Cups were off and on. This spring raccoons got several of the Easter Eggers and a couple of weeks ago they got the rooster and two more hens. We're down to two hens of the Easter Eggers.

So far the varmints haven't gotten to the Butter Cups but I don't like their eggs. They're are smallish, pointed eggs that break easily. We've given them egg shells and oyster shells and the eggs still break on the sharp points. I end up throwing half of these away because of the cracks in them.

I want to order some more of the Easter Eggers but it seems useless. I know that this is what wild animals do but I sure wish they'd learn to dine somewhere else on something else other than my hens.

My hubby and I have talked about just buying some young female chicks and putting them in with the Butter Cups when they're old enough since nothing has been able to get into the Butter Cup pen yet.

I think I'll give it one last try and if these are killed I'll just have to give up. It's too expensive to get the hens raised to laying age and then have them be varmint food.

There's got to be a way to keep them protected. We even have a baby monitor base hanging in the chicken pen and the monitor in our bedroom but by the time we get up and get out to the pens the damage is done. Traps are set but the raccoons have been able to tear the wire and get out of the traps. These are some sneaking rascals.

Thanks for letting me vent. I love my hens and it really hurts my feelings for some critter to come along and destroy them.
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

We have the worse time keeping our hens! Empty Re: We have the worse time keeping our hens!

Post by Sonshine Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:54 am

We haven't had any trouble with critters getting our chickens. Like you, we have chicken wire over the top. Their pen is also inside of a fenced in yard, that usually has a dog or two running around, so that may be why we haven't had trouble with raccoons or anything like that. We have, however, had a problem with something getting our eggs. We had a BO that was setting on 10 eggs. Went out to check on her because it was getting close to time for them to hatch and some of the eggs were missing, but no sign of any eggshells laying around. The next time Joe checked there was only one egg left under her and eventually that one was gone too. Whatever it is that's getting them hasn't bothered with the fresh eggs. I'm thinking it may be a snake??? Joe put mothballs around their pen and coop, but we've already lost the entire brood. I'm really upset about that because my hens are getting old and I was hoping to replenish my flock without having to buy baby chicks again.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

We have the worse time keeping our hens! Empty Re: We have the worse time keeping our hens!

Post by CajunMom Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:20 am

we bought a medium size trap at our local feed store for our raccoons. When ever we see signs of them, we put the trap out with bait. Just make sure the bait is in there good. Don't just set an egg in there or the raccoon just reaches in and takes the egg out. If we use egg, we put the egg in some netting and tie it in the back of the cage. That way the raccoon has to go all the way in to set the trap off. A pile of cat/dog food works well too. One time we caught 2 together. lol I think they were some youngsters. They have never gotten out of this cage but have torn it up some where we have had to make repairs on it. It was a little (lot) expensive at around $45 but after all the chickens and animal food they cost us, we thought it was a good investment. Hope this helps.

CajunMom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:20 am

Sounds like a wise investment. Any suggestions for snakes eating eggs?
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum